Not getting internet speeds advertised.

Ryois
Go to solution Solved by Skiiwee29,
1 minute ago, Ryois said:

I only see Internet > then all it shows is Modem, if I look at a bill it says Spectrum Internet, if I look online it is basically a web version of the paper bill. 

hmmmm, then you will likely need to call. 

So in our area we have two cable ISPs, AT&T and Charter/Spectrum. AT&T will give 10Mb/s, while Charter/Spectrum will offer 100mb/s. BOTH SCREENSHOTS ARE PLANS IN MY AREA. 

I have Charter/Spectrum right now and I get a measly 30MB/s ETHERNET into a gigabit router via a gigabit ethernet port. and NO my PC is not a bottleneck, Core i7 6700HQ 16GB DDR and 250GB NVMe, and our modem and cables are gigabit, Cat 5e or 6a so it's not connections. Would this be my ISP or what?

CURRENT SPEEDS image.png.57dda2f7ba4b644d75d3331cd76b8269.png This shows 20MB/s its night time so people are watching Netflix...

CHARTER/SPECTRUM SPEEDS image.png.0a3e918e957be4f4ae8cee9ef6fe1935.png

AT&T SPEEDS image.png.654f737fff364978b80c1d47e20c1dc9.png

Have you tried restarting your modem and/or router?

What modem and router are you using?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

11 hours ago, TheKDub said:

Have you tried restarting your modem and/or router?

What modem and router are you using?

and TM1602AP2  for the modem it came from the cable company.

7 minutes ago, Ryois said:

So in our area we have two cable ISPs, AT&T and Charter/Spectrum. AT&T will give 10Mb/s, while Charter/Spectrum will offer 100mb/s. BOTH SCREENSHOTS ARE PLANS IN MY AREA. 

I have Charter/Spectrum right now and I get a measly 30MB/s ETHERNET into a gigabit router via a gigabit ethernet port. and NO my PC is not a bottleneck, Core i7 6700HQ 16GB DDR and 250GB NVMe, and our modem and cables are gigabit, Cat 5e or 6a so it's not connections. Would this be my ISP or what?

CURRENT SPEEDS image.png.57dda2f7ba4b644d75d3331cd76b8269.png This shows 20MB/s its night time so people are watching Netflix...

CHARTER/SPECTRUM SPEEDS image.png.0a3e918e957be4f4ae8cee9ef6fe1935.png

AT&T SPEEDS image.png.654f737fff364978b80c1d47e20c1dc9.png

There is a lot of shit that can affect speeds on cable internet. 

1. They sent the wrong Config file to your modem
  2. Your signals are garbage and thats all the modem can do
  3. Interference on the cable system, such as Cellular data connection penetrating the cable network due to a bad wire or connector 

Generally to find issues like listed above you can go in to your cable modem, thru the diagnostic page. Access to this depends on the ISP, not sure about Charter as Comcast is my areas ISP. Generally you access the modem pages via 192.168.100.1. The only issue is some time this can be different if you have a modem/router combo. Once you get in you just need to do is go to the signals tab. Your downstream SNR needs to be above 33db, Your Downstream power levels need to be between -15 to 15 ( closes to 0 is the best), Upstream power levels need to be below 53 db in most cases. Oh if you see a lot of uncorrectable errors, that could indicate interference. 

Heres info on cable modem signals: https://www.dslreports.com/faq/16085 it says Comcast, but its pretty much the same for all cable providers. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

5 minutes ago, Ryois said:

and http://www.arris.com/products/touchstone-telephony-gateway-tg862/ for the modem it came from the cable company.

I'd suggest getting rid of that gateway/modem and getting a real dedicated modem instead. A good one is only around $50, and will last for plenty of years.

https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6141-DOCSIS-Cable/dp/B00AJHDZSI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1506212685&sr=8-3&keywords=motorola+sb6121

That's a great option. I have the step down from it (SB6121) and haven't had any issue with it in the 6 or so years that I've had it.

Most ISPs will say that their provided hardware is perfectly fine, but in reality it's horribly shitty equipment that shouldn't be touched even with a 10 foot pole.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Let me get this straight, you have a 100 Mbit plan and you're getting 30 MB/s downloads?  That means they're giving you a good 3x more than you're paying for, not less...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Let me get this straight, you have a 100 Mbit plan and you're getting 30 MB/s downloads?  That means they're giving you a good 3x more than you're paying for, not less...

Looking at his speedtest results, he's getting 20Mb/s down, 4Mb/s up. So 5x slower than he should have for his download speed, and who knows for the upload speed.

Just now, Donut417 said:

There is a lot of shit that can affect speeds on cable internet. 

1. They sent the wrong Config file to your modem
  2. Your signals are garbage and thats all the modem can do
  3. Interference on the cable system, such as Cellular data connection penetrating the cable network due to a bad wire or connector 

Generally to find issues like listed above you can go in to your cable modem, thru the diagnostic page. Access to this depends on the ISP, not sure about Charter as Comcast is my areas ISP. Generally you access the modem pages via 192.168.100.1. The only issue is some time this can be different if you have a modem/router combo. Once you get in you just need to do is go to the signals tab. Your downstream SNR needs to be above 33db, Your Downstream power levels need to be between -15 to 15 ( closes to 0 is the best), Upstream power levels need to be below 53 db in most cases. Oh if you see a lot of uncorrectable errors, that could indicate interference. 

Heres info on cable modem signals: https://www.dslreports.com/faq/16085 it says Comcast, but its pretty much the same for all cable providers. 

Downstream SNR is above 37 dB power varies from highest 0.20 and lowest -2.40 highest upstream is 42dB and lowest is 39dB

1 minute ago, TheKDub said:

Looking at his speedtest results, he's getting 20Mb/s down, 4Mb/s up. So 5x slower than he should have for his download speed, and who knows for the upload speed.

Oh, I was just going based off of this

19 minutes ago, Ryois said:

[...]Charter/Spectrum will offer 100mb/s. BOTH SCREENSHOTS ARE PLANS IN MY AREA. 

I have Charter/Spectrum right now and I get a measly 30MB/s [...]

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryois said:

Downstream SNR is above 37 dB power varies from highest 0.20 and lowest -2.40 highest upstream is 42dB and lowest is 39dB

Those are pretty perfect. Maybe a wrong config file or maybe your on a heavily congested node. If its the latter, your kinda boned, because that involves Charter running more fiber and spiting a node. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

Those are pretty perfect. Maybe a wrong config file or maybe your on a heavily congested node. If its the latter, your kinda boned, because that involves Charter running more fiber and spiting a node. 

I already had one technician come Q1 of this year and installed new modem, new lines, and that was on the old router then I got the Nighthawk R700 and still same speeds just more reliable... 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

If this matters it shows 16 Downstreams and 4 upstreams, and

LAN Enabled Up 1000(Full)

Just now, Ryois said:

I already had one technician come Q1 of this year and installed new modem, new lines, and that was on the old router then I got the Nighthawk R700 and still same speeds just more reliable... 

ISP supplied modem/router tend to suck ass. I would tell you to purchase your own, but Charter is known for having shit support for customer owned modems. 

Just now, Ryois said:

If this matters it shows 16 Downstreams and 4 upstreams, and

LAN Enabled Up 1000(Full)

I have 8 down stream and 4 upstream and get 75/10 no issues. Comcast will provision up to 200 Mbps on an 8x4 modem. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

ISP supplied modem/router tend to suck ass. I would tell you to purchase your own, but Charter is known for having shit support for customer owned modems. 

I know a place which uses the charter supplied modem and it gets 80MB/s

Just now, Donut417 said:

I have 8 down stream and 4 upstream and get 75/10 no issues. Comcast will provision up to 200 Mbps on an 8x4 modem. 

My grandmother has Xfinity and I get 300MBs at her house LUCKY SHE ONLY USES IT TO VIEW FACEBOOK 

Just now, Ryois said:

I know a place which uses the charter supplied modem and it gets 80MB/s

Most of their modems are used and refurb. Im telling you, Ive dealt with Comcast for the last decade. We bought our own modem and its been better. 

1 minute ago, Ryois said:

My grandmother has Xfinity and I get 300MBs at her house LUCKY SHE ONLY USES IT TO VIEW FACEBOOK 

Yeah, Charter is a shit company. Comcast are ass holes, but they are ass holes who upgrade their network. Call Charter and demand they fix it. If they refuse report them to the FCC. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

Yeah, Charter is a shit company. Comcast are ass holes, but they are ass holes who upgrade their network. 

Problem Xfinity is in every area AROUND US but not in our area. Some counties beside us has TDS fiber or other fiber/gigabit ISPs.

Just now, Ryois said:

Problem Xfinity is in every area AROUND US but not in our area. Some counties beside us has TDS fiber or other fiber/gigabit ISPs.

Get used to that. My area of my City only has Comcast. AT&T has very little Uverse coverage. We dont have Fiber. Thats how it works in the US. If you want better internet you have to live in a major city. If you want decent Internet you need to live in at least a Metro area. If you live in the boonies you just fucked. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

Get used to that. My area of my City only has Comcast. AT&T has very little Uverse coverage. We dont have Fiber. Thats how it works in the US. If you want better internet you have to live in a major city. If you want decent Internet you need to live in at least a Metro area. If you live in the boonies you just fucked. 

Ill check our plan tomorrow and try to see if thats the issue. Idk 

9 minutes ago, Ryois said:

Ill check our plan tomorrow and try to see if thats the issue. Idk 

You gotta show back bone when working with these companies. Make them understand your the customer and they need to provide the service you are paying for. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

You gotta show back bone when working with these companies. Make them understand your the customer and they need to provide the service you are paying for. 

I download a ton of OSes and has downloaded 300GB+ this past month. I do not use a cell phone unless im out, I do youtube and upload several gigabytes per video, and do a lot of remote desktop.

23 minutes ago, Ryois said:

300MB/s or 300Mb/s?

(b = bit, B = byte. 8 bits = 1 Byte)