Any way to tell if an HDTV uses HDR 10 (Looking at TCL 55S405)?

VG Docs
Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,
1 minute ago, Trogdor8freebird said:

Alright, I guess there's not any way to see that info online. Thanks though.

If you're talking about specs, then unless they flat out say it's up in the air.

But Rting.com did a review on the series and it uses a 10-bit panel: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/s-series-4k-2017-s405

As mentioned in this video, not all HDTVs that are advertised as HDR actually display HDR.

Basically I'm looking at some TVs (TCL 55S405 is one of the cheap ones that come to mind) and I want to know if there's any way to find out whether it's a 10-bit panel (HDR10) or not. Anyone know?

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

if u have a playstation 4, it can check if its HDR compatible by enabling the mode, if it aint compatible it will say > tv not compatible and it wont turn on, if it does support HDR it will enable xD ( bring a ps4 to the tv store lol )

pst this is the only option i know of testing hdr xD

(◑‿◐)

I'm going to go with how RTing.com tests it.

To display the image, we connect our test PC to the TV via HDMI, with the signal output via a Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB graphics card. We display our gradient test image via the Nvidia ‘High Dynamic Range Display SDK’ program, as it is able to output a 1080p @ 60 Hz @ 10-bit signal, bypassing the Microsoft windows environment, which is limited to an 8-bit.

If you can get that to show on the TV, 8-bit panels will show color banding.

11 minutes ago, Valkyrie Lenneth said:

-Sni

8 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

-Snip-

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

1 minute ago, Trogdor8freebird said:

If you're talking about specs, then unless they flat out say it's up in the air.

But Rting.com did a review on the series and it uses a 10-bit panel: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/s-series-4k-2017-s405

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Oh okay, thanks. I guess I'll look at reviews when I look at other TVs too. :)