Floatplane instead of Patreon?

Go to solution Solved by Sack,

They talked about it on WAN show some time, and it had to do that Patreon doesn't really give them any benefits, it's just a site where you accept people's money and can interact, but they're still going to have to rely on some other service to actually convey their content. Basically, there wasn't any good reason why they should use Patreon, and Linus is nothing if not ambitious, and given his obsession with better quality and higher bitrates, this fits in much better. People paying for FPC will be getting exclusive shows along with much better quality, you actually get something for your money.

Why create Floatplane instead of just using Patreon? Is there some absurd difference or benefit?

I already have Patreon and would easily join a $10 LTT Tier.

This question is mainly directed at LTT Staff for a little inside information.

I don't know why this is in "Graphics Cards"

I obviously messed something up. It's supposed to be in "General"

Because they want to develop floatplane as a brand new platform many creators can use, like Netflix except for channels, instead of piggybacking on other parties.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

2 minutes ago, MrDevanWright said:

I already have Patreon and would easily join a $10 LTT Tier.

LTT's $10/month tier :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Now I'm not an insider, but I would imagine FPC has quite a few advantages over Patreon, including:

Being/becoming a video platform with much higher quality streams and download

Being their own platform, thus them not being dependent on another organization

And there are likely many more very obvious benefits to their own FPC, compared to Patreon.

Plus I think in the past they have said in the past they don't taking people's money without giving anything back, which they haven't given people much back with Patreon I think.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

They talked about it on WAN show some time, and it had to do that Patreon doesn't really give them any benefits, it's just a site where you accept people's money and can interact, but they're still going to have to rely on some other service to actually convey their content. Basically, there wasn't any good reason why they should use Patreon, and Linus is nothing if not ambitious, and given his obsession with better quality and higher bitrates, this fits in much better. People paying for FPC will be getting exclusive shows along with much better quality, you actually get something for your money.

@Sack, so they wouldn't want to do the unlisted YouTube videos like other Patreon creators?

And you can receive things being a Patreon sub, as I receive posters, mugs, early release YouTube videos, merch promo codes, etc as a Patreon subscriber with another creator. The main point I am seeing in the replies then is they don't want to rely on other services. Seems like a quite a bit of overhead, just to have to compete with well established fan funding platforms. I suppose LMG has the overhead and drive for it though.

-moved to general discussion-

Basically they want to accomplish a few things, including but not limited to the following:

• cut out any "middle man" so you pay them directly
  • be able to provide those who pay with some direct benefits for their contribution, like early access to content, etc.
  • reduce their reliance on youtube as a primary source of income, since it's very unpredictable and not within their control

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, MrDevanWright said:

@Sack, so they wouldn't want to do the unlisted YouTube videos like other Patreon creators?

And you can receive things being a Patreon sub, as I receive posters, mugs, early release YouTube videos, merch promo codes, etc as a Patreon subscriber with another creator. The main point I am seeing in the replies then is they don't want to rely on other services. Seems like a quite a bit of overhead, just to have to compete with well established fan funding platforms. I suppose LMG has the overhead and drive for it though.

Early access to unlisted youtube videos wouldn't work very well.  There's already enough issue with people pirating the early access videos and resharing them elsewhere as it is, but at least in the current situation it's slightly more difficult and there's ways you can try to take them down.  If they just gave out links, there's no way they could stop people from sharing the links and the problem would be a lot worse.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, MrDevanWright said:

@Ryan_Vickers, do you know when is the $3 pulled monthly? Can this be set to a certain date?

Actually I'm not sure exactly how that works.  I know it's through PayPal which I've never used so can't really offer any insight there.

1 hour ago, MrDevanWright said:

@Ryan_Vickers, do you know when is the $3 pulled monthly? Can this be set to a certain date?

The $3/mo (or $30/yr) is billed monthly/yearly starting from the date that you subscribe (so if you subscribe today, it's on the 24th of each month/24th Sept each year).

HTTP/2 203

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Early access to unlisted youtube videos wouldn't work very well.  There's already enough issue with people pirating the early access videos and resharing them elsewhere as it is, but at least in the current situation it's slightly more difficult and there's ways you can try to take them down.  If they just gave out links, there's no way they could stop people from sharing the links and the problem would be a lot worse.

Hrm... there's also floatplane pirating too but I'm not going to say where people host them...

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

12 minutes ago, JDE said:

Hrm... there's also floatplane pirating too but I'm not going to say where people host them...

Yes that's what I said :P 

10 hours ago, JDE said:

You'd receive thumbs down if I could.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv