Finally a TV For Gaming? LG Nanocell

nicklmg

low input lag does not a good tv make, the local dimming, black uniformity and many other aspects of this TV are worse then my 600 dollar 2 year old Sharp 4k that isn't even HDR.

Introducing Samsung PIcocell!

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Most modern tvs (especially from samsung) are perfectly fine for gaming with input lag almost as low as a regular 60hz monitor.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/inputs/input-lag

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Considering I was playing on an ancient box hooked up to an NES back in the day and could game fine, the idea of a "gaming" TV is another cash grab.

12 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Most modern tvs (especially from samsung) are perfectly fine for gaming with input lag as low as a regular 60hz monitor.

you should look at the rtings review of the nanocell tv, you can actually see some of it in the video b-roll (although Linus never addresses it), like you can see the "hot spots" in the black bars of ultrawide video that are a result of the HORRIBLE black uniformity, you can also see the HORRIBLE (especially for the money) Contrast Ratio (something most LG TV, except for the OLED's suffer from), even at HALF the price of OLED it's still over priced and a Samsung at 2/3rds it's price without quantum dot is still a better TV.

frankly as much of the issues with this TV as he glossed over or flat out failed to mention this video should have an "includes paid advertisement" asterisk at the beginning, because just like every other tech youtuber to review this unit they where ALL bought by LG to make this review as positive as possible, by only talking about the good things of the unit and ignoring all the bad of which there is SO MUCH.

I mean, cool and all... but I personally don't care.  If I'm doing something serious and competitive, I have my main setup.  I only play on my TV if I want to couch game and play games that are strictly story mode.

Such as Skyrim, MGS V, and Metro.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

45 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Most modern tvs (especially from samsung) are perfectly fine for gaming with input lag almost as low as a regular 60hz monitor.

Yep, had an 8yr old Samsung LCD and in game mode was indistinguishable to my 60hz Benq.

33 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

frankly as much of the issues with this TV as he glossed over or flat out failed to mention this video should have an "includes paid advertisement" asterisk at the beginning, because just like every other tech youtuber to review this unit they where ALL bought by LG to make this review as positive as possible, by only talking about the good things of the unit and ignoring all the bad of which there is SO MUCH.

I noticed this with the recent hardwarecanucks review.

I'm still not understanding why they can't turn off all the processing on the OLED's though, Is this why we still haven't seen an OLED monitor even at a stupid price?

1 minute ago, JAKEBAB said:

I'm still not understanding why they can't turn off all the processing on the OLED's though, Is this why we still haven't seen an OLED monitor even at a stupid price?

There are OLED monitors, and they cost stupid prices because they are for professional applications that need them.

Image result for oled monitorImage result for oled monitor

For regular consumers they suck as monitors because of burn in.

You DO NOT want to buy an OLED monitor.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

According to RTINGS, the input lag in Gamemode is 15ms.  That's pretty good but even my run of the mill 65" Samsung manages 20ms on RGB input, though it is admittidly higher at about 37ms if the input is YCbPr. (All with Gamemode enabled)  While this TV does 15ms on YCbPr input too it's nothing exactly gaaaaame changing.  Better yes, but nothing that shatters expectations.  Certainly something worth buying if you're doing any kind of professional gaming like fighting games and such.

10 minutes ago, Enderman said:

There are OLED monitors, and they cost stupid prices because they are for professional applications that need them.

For regular consumers they suck as monitors because of burn in.

You DO NOT want to buy an OLED monitor.

I meant more prosumer oriented monitors.

From what I've read burn in is not nearly as bad as it use to be and isn't there are a bunch of things that can be done to mitigate/prevent it like what Samsung does with it's phones?

Just now, JAKEBAB said:

I meant more prosumer oriented monitors.

From what I've read burn in is not nearly as bad as it use to be and there are a bunch of things that can be done it mitigate it like what Samsung does with it's phones.

Burn is still just as bad, it's literally the exact same technology as 5 years ago, OLED.

They just do stuff like turn off the screen after a few minutes of idle on the tvs to "reduce burn in"

If you can use your computer with the screen off then congrats, you're special.

Most people need the screen ON to be able to use the computer, and that means it will burn in stuff like the taskbar which is static for many hours a day.

A phone does not have a taskbar which is always on screen, it also has a display which shuts off after seconds, and most people do not use their phone for 6-12 hours a day.

Spoiler

Now why mention G-sync over it's free and open alternative that won't add to the cost to the monitor/TV and already works over HDMI?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 hour ago, Streetguru said:

Now why mention G-sync over it's free and open alternative that won't add to the cost to the monitor/TV and already works over HDMI?

Because that alternative isn't supported by the only GPU vendor that has products capable of good frame rates at native resolution.

40 minutes ago, Granular said:

Because that alternative isn't supported by the only GPU vendor that has products capable of good frame rates at native resolution.

Just gotta go med-high on Vega like the 1080 to get a more solid 60fps at 4k. Or just max out 1080p on any of the high end GPUs for perfect scaling.

Of course by the next generation, AMD will have caught up at the very least, which means they'll retroactively be able to power all the TVs/Monitors with free-sync. Same issue I have with linus not testing free-sync on a few of the monitors they reviewed just because the Fury X couldn't totally max out the display in all cases. Just needed a 10 second thing to know if it worked or not.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

On 9/23/2017 at 12:03 PM, Daniel644 said:

We were not paid by LG to make this video - if we were we would have disclosed it, as we do with all of our paid projects. You probably shouldn't throw around heavy (and completely false) accusations when you have zero proof to back them up.

13 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

We were not paid by LG to make this video - if we were we would have disclosed it, as we do with all of our paid projects. You probably shouldn't throw around heavy (and completely false) accusations when you have zero proof to back them up.

oooooooh

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

18 minutes ago, nicklmg said:

then why not call LG out on all the things I pointed out earlier in this thread some of which where visible in your review, like the HORRIBLE blotchiness of the Black Uniformity? Do you guys not have the experience with enough TV's to actually know how to properly review them? you guys focused on the input lag and ignored MAJOR issues a TV in this price point should NOT have and even the CHEAP brands like Vizio are making BETTER image quality at this price point. ignoring MAJOR flaws like that makes your review suspect.

17 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

then why not call LG out on all the things I pointed out earlier in this thread some of which where visible in your review, like the HORRIBLE blotchiness of the Black Uniformity? Do you guys not have the experience with enough TV's to actually know how to properly review them? you guys focused on the input lag and ignored MAJOR issues a TV in this price point should NOT have and even the CHEAP brands like Vizio are making BETTER image quality at this price point. ignoring MAJOR flaws like that makes your review suspect.

There's a big difference between saying "in my opinion this was a bad review and you should improve on how you assess x y z if you review TVs in the future" (aka constructive criticism) and "you knowingly deceived your viewers by taking money to create a video and then not disclosing it" (aka false accusations). If your intent is the former, you probably shouldn't attempt to convey that through the latter.

2 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

Yeah I didn't see anything that even remotely indicates that LTT's review is any sort of bad.

They talked about picture, mentioned the issues of blacks becoming greyish at angles, and how LG offers OLED sets that have lower overall latency.

It's not a stellar review, but it's pretty good given the amount of info they've provided. It's more than enough for most people to decide whether or not to purchase.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

19 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Yeah I didn't see anything that even remotely indicates that LTT's review is any sort of bad.

They talked about picture, mentioned the issues of blacks becoming greyish at angles, and how LG offers OLED sets that have lower overall latency.

It's not a stellar review, but it's pretty good given the amount of info they've provided. It's more than enough for most people to decide whether or not to purchase.

blacks becoming greyish at angles is not going into the level of how bad this TV is, look at the zoomed in part at 1:55 and look in the black bars, you see the BRIGHTSPOTS

on the nanocell in the upper left (pixelation on youtube encoding) or earlier in the video when they show the 2 side by side and the black bars at the left are noticeably brighter grey then the black as you go to the right even though the camera is straight on? these are characteristics seen on the CHEAPEST of entry level garbage TV. if you just shrug it off as blacks get greyish at angles you are ignoring a FAR more important issue and I have to ask WHY is that being ignored by ALL reviewers (especially Bitwit), especially since LTT HAS had MULTIPLE OLED TV's, they know how good an image can look they should be able to spot these glaring issues and actually mention them, I don't understand why none of the tech tubers brought up something so obviously bad. Maybe I'm just spoiled because I found Rtings and it shows me legitimate tests that can actually compare image quality from one TV to another and isn't a simple "seat of your pants", look at the pretty colors review.

I just think when there is an issue so blatantly bad that we the VIEWERS can see it in the B-Roll it should be discussed in the video and it makes things suspect when it's not mentioned. But whatever I'm done discussing this because I'm getting tired of repeating myself, i've said my piece and I am out.

26 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

just think when there is an issue so blatantly bad that we the VIEWERS can see it in the B-Roll it should be discussed in the video and it makes things suspect when it's not mentioned.

So far, just you. I can't see it on my MacBook Pro, Galaxy S8, or Vizio 4K tv.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

So far, just you. I can't see it on my MacBook Pro, Galaxy S8, or Vizio 4K tv.

how can you NOT see it, I can see it on my S7 and my Laptop, when they are zoomed in LOOK at the black bar, parts of it are brighter then other parts or when you have the side by side look how bright one side is versus the other or read the Rtings review that covers all the actually important stuff,

• 4 weeks later...

Please set the HDMI input to 'PC' icon to remove lag and re-test.

• 1 month later...

In my home country Austria a new company called "Nogis" promises you can evade the monthly costs of the national public service broadcasters fees.
However their TVs (by far just one 55" model but further models are in planning) do not include any kind of broadcasting receiver and they also claim that their 55" model "Nogis One 55" (IPS panel, 4K, 60Hz) has a response time of just 6ms.

If you are interested to check them out:
https://nogis.at/produkt/nogis-one-55/

Sadly the whole Website is in german but almost everyone in Austria is able to communicate in english.