(Update)Uber loses licence in London

Rupe

Update

So it seems Uber is likely to keep their licence I received this email today

A quick update

Hi Rupert, 

No doubt you’ll have noticed that Uber is still here in London. That said, we understand that you may have some questions about our future in the city. 

Last week, our new CEO had a constructive meeting with TfL and we hope to continue discussions in the coming weeks. While these talks happen and our legal appeal is processed, we’ll still be operating in London. So you can still get a reliable ride, whenever you need it. 

On behalf of our whole team in London and the thousands of licensed drivers who use our app, thank you for your support - it means a lot to us. We’re determined to make things right and keep this great city moving. 

The Uber London team

Original

So it seems Transport for London (tfl) has not allowed Uber to renew its licence in London.

Uber will not be issued a new private hire licence, Transport for London (TfL) has said.

TfL concluded the ride-hailing app firm was not fit and proper to hold a London private hire operator licence.

It said it took the decision on the grounds of "public safety and security implications".

Confirming it would appeal against the decision, Uber said it showed the world "far from being open, London is closed to innovative companies".

Some 3.5 million passengers and 40,000 drivers use the Uber app in London.

Article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41358640

They claim its due to saftey concerns but lets be honest its most likely due to pressure from black cabs in London complaining about how heavily regulated they are. So instead of de-regulating black cabs to make them more competitive lets just ban uber from operating! Gotta love Big Nanny state government. 

What are yours guys thoughts

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

If I am right, its not due to the competitiveness, they couldn't care less, I think personally its about the drivers of Uber, as some are disrespectful and drive dangerously (at least from what I have heard), thus is why they are essentially removing their private hire license until they have the issue resolved. Though they only have until 21st of next month i believe to appeal it. Though I can't really state it as I haven't ever used Uber, I just use the bus 50% of the time else ill get a taxi.

Denmark did the same a while back after Uber lost a couple of court cases. They seem to be losing their grib on more and more countries.

Anyone who tells you that you can't do something is unimaginative and probably a coward.

3 minutes ago, Shay Punter said:

If I am right, its not due to the competitiveness, they couldn't care less, I think personally its about the drivers of Uber, as some are disrespectful and drive dangerously (at least from what I have heard), thus is why they are essentially removing their private hire license until they have the issue resolved. Though they only have until 21st of next month i believe to appeal it. Though I can't really state it as I haven't ever used Uber, I just use the bus 50% of the time else ill get a taxi.

Uber operates in loads of citys around the world. Transport for London of course wants you to think its because of saftey but honest Uber is really safe, and im sure there are bad isolated cases but I think if Tfl are going to remove the choice from citizens they need to demonstrate there is some systemic problem with Uber Drivers

Processor: i7 7700k@Stock GPU: GTX 1080 MSI Armor OC  Mobo: Asus Prime Z270-A RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 3200 MHz CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 SSD: Sandisk Ultra 2 960GB Case: Phanteks P400s PSU: Gigabyte B700H Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz Mouse: Logitech G900 Keyboard: Corsair Strafe w/ MX Blues

Damnit :( 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Just now, Rupe said:

Uber operates in loads of citys around the world. Transport for London of course wants you to think its because of saftey but honest Uber is really safe, and im sure there are bad isolated cases but I think if Tfl are going to remove the choice from citizens they need to demonstrate there is some systemic problem with Uber Drivers

Yeah I can agree with that, government agencies most likely state false reasons. Might be because they aren't making as much money from them as they are with taxis. :o

Here in my country, Philippines, Uber is a life saver. Taxi's here are real shyt. They'll cheat on pricing, refuse to give you a ride, will ask for additional payment even before you ride. When Uber and other TNVS was introduced everyone loved it. Now our government are pressing them hard. Damn corrupt officials.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X | MOBO: Gigabyte B550 Vision D | RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision D | PSU: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W

5 minutes ago, koji said:

Here in my country, Philippines, Uber is a life saver. Taxi's here are real shyt. They'll cheat on pricing, refuse to give you a ride, will ask for additional payment even before you ride. When Uber and other TNVS was introduced everyone loved it. Now our government are pressing them hard. Damn corrupt officials.

Yes! I'm glad they're back.

29 minutes ago, Rupe said:

They claim its due to saftey concerns but lets be honest its most likely due to pressure from black cabs in London complaining about how heavily regulated they are.

Crony taxi lobbyists ugh! I think most of the complaints on Uber is from taxis/cabs who can't compete with Uber because they can't adapt.

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

While I suspect this decision has been made for all the wrong reasons, I agree with the result. Uber has a terrible track record in many respects. They're essentially selling digital hitchhiking, which is about as sketchy as it sounds.

As for uber drivers in London:

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.v5APmjlu1C7i6bL6QwdUZQEsD8%26pid%3D15.1&f=1

and don't forget your towels.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

Crony taxi lobbyists ugh!

Honestly I don't blame the black cab drivers too much as they are heavily regulated which makes it hard for them to compete. The solution here is not to ban all competition but to de-regulate black cabs. The market will keep the standards high not government regulations because of competition from companies like Uber. The whole thing stems from Big Goverment and taking personal choice away from citizens

1 minute ago, Rupe said:

Honestly I don't blame the black cab drivers too much as they are heavily regulated which makes it hard for them to compete. The solution here is not to ban all competition but to de-regulate black cabs. The market will keep the standards high not government regulations because of competition from companies like Uber. The whole thing stems from Big Goverment and taking personal choice away from citizens

Well in Philippines it's the other way around. They want to regulate Uber way too much to the point that they've been suspended for 30 days because of pressure from cab drivers. I'm glad they're back and I prefer them over taxis. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

18 minutes ago, koji said:

Here in my country, Philippines, Uber is a life saver. Taxi's here are real shyt. They'll cheat on pricing, refuse to give you a ride, will ask for additional payment even before you ride.

LOL

sounds like the mafia to me

12 minutes ago, Sauron said:

While I suspect this decision has been made for all the wrong reasons, I agree with the result. Uber has a terrible track record in many respects. They're essentially selling digital hitchhiking, which is about as sketchy as it sounds.

As for uber drivers in London:

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.v5APmjlu1C7i6bL6QwdUZQEsD8%26pid%3D15.1&f=1

and don't forget your towels.

Having driven for Uber for a whole two week, it is quite sketchy feeling.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I've got no problem with this as long as the local taxi infrastructure is developed and I would say that is the case in London. 

As usual private cab services are expected to maintain higher security standards than those of traditional ones because well, they're unionized and make a lot of fucking noise and at times yes even provide a lot of bribes to authorities.

Sorry that Uber is basically the sacrificial lamb here but this won't put a dent into the advance of this types of services: the public clearly prefers them to the traditional cabs so those will be going away sooner or later, now matter how much they fight.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'm the type of person who doesn't generally take those types of transportation. Trains in big cities looked Boston, DC, NYC, San Diego... But I really don't like the idea of getting into someone else's case. It weirds me out. I'd rather walk my happy self. Otherwise, I'm flying to an airport and will get a rental it have a friend or relative pick me up.

Not gonna get caught by the Bone Collector...jk

2 hours ago, hey_yo_ said:

Yes! I'm glad they're back.

Crony taxi lobbyists ugh! I think most of the complaints on Uber is from taxis/cabs who can't compete with Uber because they can't adapt.

By adapt do you mean run at a sizeable loss every year?

I suspect Uber will win it's appeal, but will have to make concessions on it more objectionable practices.

What needs to happen is for-hire transportation deregulation.  And no one is stopping taxi companies from following Uber's model *verbatim*.  It's their own damn fault for spending more time bitching and moaning and less time innovating and increasing their service accessibility.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Biggest reason why I dislike Uber is that it's too cheap so the driver's don't get enough money.

I don't like normal taxi either.

I am fine with bike, bus and train :)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

3 minutes ago, Mihle said:

Biggest reason why I dislike Uber is that it's too cheap so the driver's don't get enough money.

I don't like normal taxi either.

I am fine with bike, bus and train :)

They don't get any money if you don't use them though.  Besides, there is built-in tipping now. ;)

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

I spent 3 weeks in Europe in May.  We used Uber almost exclusively to get around London, Paris, Rome, etc.  The drivers in London were actually really great.  I hope they get things worked out before we go back.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

as neat as uber is, i don't think this is much of a loss, as london has tons of private hire services, as there's hailo, addison lee, i think lyft, as well as general mini cabs, but soon the black cabbies will start crying as self driving taxis come on the scene.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

We have the opposite problem here in Australia, I am on the side of the cabs.   I'm all for innovation and competition, but it has to be by the law, if cabies have to pay 10's of 1000's of Dollars to drive a cab then so should Uber.  But they didn't, so they were given a free ticket to undermine the entire industry with drivers not covered by insurance (standard full comp. insurance does not cover loss of goods, time or personal injury, especially not in a business case). Now the government has decided to stop charging cab licenses (but not refunding the thousands cabies who have already invested in said licenses).  And there is still no safety regulation or special license uber has to get while cabies are still paying for taxi plates. 

Go back in time and Make Uber jump through the same regulation hurdles as cabs rather than watching them break the law and I might consider using them.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

21 hours ago, Rupe said:

So it seems Transport for London (tfl) has not allowed Uber to renew its licence in London.

Article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41358640

They claim its due to saftey concerns but lets be honest its most likely due to pressure from black cabs in London complaining about how heavily regulated they are. So instead of de-regulating black cabs to make them more competitive lets just ban uber from operating! Gotta love Big Nanny state government. 

What are yours guys thoughts

Or maybe it's because Uber just sucks. My parents bookec a car to get them from the O2 back to their hotel and it never showed up, over 2 hours later (by this time they'd hailed an actual cab, explained the situation and were back in the hotel) they got a call from a furious driver saying he'd been waiting for 45 mins for them. They told him that they had booked 10pm and not 11pm and he went off on an almighty rant. When they tried to complain about it the next day they were told the driver had reported them for false booking and their number was blacklisted from making future booking. My dad tried to explain that he still had the booking receipt that said 10pm and that the driver turned up at 11pm but the bloke on the phone wasn't interested in listening.

When my mum went online to review Uber she found literally HUNDREDS of other reviews saying similar things about them in and around London.

They don't have a very good reputation, at least in the London area.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)