CCleaner debacle was actually corporate espionage?

AlTech

At first, it was thought that the CCleaner debacle was purely aimed at users however, further analysis has revealed it was targeting very specific tech companies from Japan, UK, US, Taiwan, and Germany.

The companies it targeted included: Intel, Google, Microsoft, Akamai, Samsung, Sony, VMware, HTC, Linksys, D-Link and Cisco

This is what Avast had to say on the matter:

At the time the server was taken down, the attack was targeting select large technology and telecommunication companies in Japan, Taiwan, UK, Germany and the US. Given that CCleaner is a consumer-oriented product, this was a typical watering hole attack where the vast majority of users were uninteresting for the attacker, but select ones were

And it may have actually been corporate espionage......

According to Cisco, the hackers appear to have been successful in installing the malware on more than 700,000 machines,"and more than 20 machines have received the second-stage payload." That's only for a four-day period between September 12 and September 16, so it's possible that other companies were targeted.

The attack still hasn't been attributed to any specific party, but evidence suggests it could be part of an industrial espionage campaign. A Kaspersky researcher has indicated the malware shares code with tools used by Axiom, a group that has been linked to Chinese intelligence services.

So yeah, I used to use CCleaner a long time ago but i stopped using it over 6 months ago.

Corporate Espionage is inappropriate, wrong and should not be condoned.

Source:

https://www.windowscentral.com/ccleaner-malware-targeted-microsoft-and-other-tech-firms

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

It's not condoned, it's publicly admonished by all corporations, but they still do it, always have done and always will.  It's a part of that ingrained survival instinct in humans that is also responsible for nuclear proliferation and MAD.  We'll get rid of that trait when every human on the planet has access to unlimited free energy, housing and food.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Called it!

The whole thing smelled foul from the beginning.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

At the time the server was taken down, the attack was targeting select large technology and telecommunication companies in Japan, Taiwan, UK, Germany and the US. Given that CCleaner is a consumer-oriented product, this was a typical watering hole attack where the vast majority of users were uninteresting for the attacker, but select ones were

Also known as an "advanced persistent threat" 

While the video is a sales pitch for Trend Micro, it shows how a typical APT attack works. 

4 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Believe or not, some corporations do such things to undermine a competitor or to spy on the competitor's classified documents. Let's say I own a big business and I want to know if the rumors are true that my competitor is in the brink of bankruptcy or if their CEO is a lazy slob in the office so that I can start rumors in the newspapers and TV and their existing customers will flock to me. I could hire hackers to craft malware and copy it ten USB flash drives and randomly drop those at my competitor's building in the hopes a dumb employee will plug it in their workstations. If an employee plugs in the drive into one of their workstations, it can spread from one computer to another since the hackers I hired made the malware conceal itself from AV programs. It could a tracking malware harvesting keystrokes and credentials or infect their servers with an encrypting ransomware. And in just a few minutes, I can bring down my biggest competitor to its knees. That's how potentially cutthroat APT's can be. That's why business owners, both big and small should educate their employees to immediately stomp and destroy flash drives they pick in the street.

Edited by hey_yo_

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

That's a really big deal though. And to say for such a software many use. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

i see Alex in the thread, this is going in the WAN show document :D 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

10 hours ago, mr moose said:

We'll get rid of that trait when every human on the planet has access to unlimited free energy, housing and food.

Even then, I doubt it will go away.  Some people are only happy when they have more than others, regardless of how much they have.