Bluetooth Not Working - Asus Strix z270i & Windows 10

Go to solution Solved by Circuit_Bored,

Quick update for those whom it may concern:

I was able to get into safe mode and remove the driver, but there are locks in Windows 10 that don't allow you to install anything while in safe mode (even drivers). I could not for the life of me find a way around this. I tried a couple more times to install the drivers normally to no avail.

Yesterday, I had a need for bluetooth, so I borrowed my USB bluetooth adapter from work. I plugged it in and it worked right away. Later, I unplugged it, and noticed that the bluetooth icon was still on the taskbar. I tried to connect a new usb device, and it worked just fine. 

So, TL;DR is: For some reason plugging in a USB bluetooth adapter fixed the on-motherboard bluetooth. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I built a new ITX system basically just as Kaby Lake was released. My motherboard of choice was the Asus Strix z270i. I've been using the built in Bluetooth to connect an Xbox controller to play Rocket League. I've had issues once or twice in the past where I couldn't connect the controller, which I was able to remedy by updating / reinstalling the Bluetooth drivers.

This time, that didn't work. I downloaded the latest driver from the z270i support page (https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-Strix-Z270I-Gaming/HelpDesk_Download/), but after installing and rebooting, I am unable to connect any Bluetooth device. I get this error when I try:

image.png.f4b2efade9e03f06eebfdf22e18729e1.png

Previously, there would be a Bluetooth icon in the taskbar tray, but it's not there anymore. I've also tried previous versions of the driver from the support page, but with the same result.

With any driver, the device still shows up as installed in Device Manager, but for some reason as a "Wireless Network Adapter:"

59c489fc333e0_devicemanager.PNG.4c354933e22805b044c5f31d5c8a2b80.PNG

I know this is the right device based on the installer:

installer.PNG.31914127ee3fa9ea536223f2ac38a201.PNG

I've done a little bit of searching to try and find a driver direct from the manufacturer of the Bluetooth module, but haven't had any luck yet.

So there you have it. That is the current situation. For reference, my current Windows 10 Version is 1703 (OS Build 15063.608)

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

boot in safe mode, uninstall driver from there, reboot into safe mode again and install new driver... could solve the issue,  

if that doesnt work try downloading for example a win7 driver and run the driver under compatibility mode ( does not always work but possible )

what u can also check is static electricity, if u do have it u can run a cable to for example from case ( METAL ) to ur radiator x)

(◑‿◐)

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update for those whom it may concern:

I was able to get into safe mode and remove the driver, but there are locks in Windows 10 that don't allow you to install anything while in safe mode (even drivers). I could not for the life of me find a way around this. I tried a couple more times to install the drivers normally to no avail.

Yesterday, I had a need for bluetooth, so I borrowed my USB bluetooth adapter from work. I plugged it in and it worked right away. Later, I unplugged it, and noticed that the bluetooth icon was still on the taskbar. I tried to connect a new usb device, and it worked just fine. 

So, TL;DR is: For some reason plugging in a USB bluetooth adapter fixed the on-motherboard bluetooth. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• 1 month later...

i'm the one who faced the same problem.  Z270i build in BT disappeared from the system, it costed me dozens of new grey hairs. After trials and fails, OS reinstall, reboot, BIOS reset CMOS. i suddenly found solution on asus board.

CUT POWER.  Just unplug your PSU from electricity, YES, make mobo completely offline, all illumination will be off in 10-15 sec, then switch it on... and vuala.  BT works again.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?93816-Strix-z270i-bluetooth-problem-and-how-I-fixed-it