External HDD "this device is currently in use"

khazad

Yesterday i was doing a backup of my pc, and i've been moving like 2tb of files to my external hdd, when i've finished i wanted to safely remove it, but it pops up a window saying "This device is currently in use".

So i turned off my pc, today i wanted to remove again, and it still shows me the message.

Is there any other way to safely remove it?

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | MB: Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus | RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16Gb 3200Mhz | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce | Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | SSD: Crucial MX300 275Gb | HDD: WD Black 2Tb | Monitor: LG 27GL83A

I dont think there is, try closing all the windows and close of the processes in the task manager which you think would use your external HDD and try again if that does not work then try pulling it out manually and pray to god it wont corrupt your files

Feel free to quote me if you want an answer

NAS hard drive list feel free to PM me questions or anything about Hard drive as i am in love with them 

I fly the Boeing 737-800 for Turkish Airlines

"Men, this stuff that some sources sling around about America wanting out of this war, not wanting to fight, is a crock of bullshit. Americans love to fight, traditionally" - George.S Patton

"There are four hundred neatly marked graves somewhere in Sicily. All because one man went to sleep on the job. But they are German graves, because we caught the bastard asleep before they did." - George.S Patton

"An Army is a team. It lives, sleeps, eats, and fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is pure horse shit. The bilious bastards who write that kind of stuff for the Saturday Evening Post don't know any more about real fighting under fire than they know about fucking!" - George.S Patton

"Sure, we all want to go home. We want to get this war over with. But you can't win a war lying down. The quickest way to get it over with is to get the bastards who started it. We want to get the hell over there and clean the goddamn thing up, and then get at those purple-pissing Japs. The quicker they are whipped, the quicker we go home. The shortest way home is through Berlin and Tokyo. So keep moving. And when we get to Berlin, I am personally going to shoot that paper-hanging son-of-a-bitch Hitler." - George.S Patton

Specs

Home Rig:                                                                                                  :

CPU: Intel I7 3770 @ 3.4 Ghz

CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo                                                                  

GPU: MSI Radeon Rx 550 Aero ITX 1gb (amazing gpu btw)   
RAM: 2x4 Mismatched Ram Sticks                                                          

Motherboard: Pegatron 2AD5                                                                  

HDD: 1TB WD BLUE                                                                               

Case: HP 7500 Series MT Case                                                            

PSUCooler Master 500W Elite                                                              

Workstation:

CPU: i7 5960x @4.3Ghz

CPU Cooler: Kraken X62                                                                                                                 

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti 1G

RAM: Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4 2133Mhz

Mobo: Asus X99- Deluxe

HDD: WD Blue 4TB 5200RPM

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Case: Corsair 750D 

PSU: Corsair RM 750x

Just now, weed said:

try pulling it out manually and pray to god it wont corrupt your files

I won't try this, there's too many important files that i don't wanna lose. I'll try closing the explorer.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | MB: Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus | RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16Gb 3200Mhz | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Windforce | Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | SSD: Crucial MX300 275Gb | HDD: WD Black 2Tb | Monitor: LG 27GL83A

Just now, khazad said:

I won't try this, there's too many important files that i don't wanna lose. I'll try closing the explorer.

You could try putting in another HDD and try it on that one, i know how it feels to move 2tb but it looks like the only option 

Feel free to quote me if you want an answer

NAS hard drive list feel free to PM me questions or anything about Hard drive as i am in love with them 

I fly the Boeing 737-800 for Turkish Airlines

"Men, this stuff that some sources sling around about America wanting out of this war, not wanting to fight, is a crock of bullshit. Americans love to fight, traditionally" - George.S Patton

"There are four hundred neatly marked graves somewhere in Sicily. All because one man went to sleep on the job. But they are German graves, because we caught the bastard asleep before they did." - George.S Patton

"An Army is a team. It lives, sleeps, eats, and fights as a team. This individual heroic stuff is pure horse shit. The bilious bastards who write that kind of stuff for the Saturday Evening Post don't know any more about real fighting under fire than they know about fucking!" - George.S Patton

"Sure, we all want to go home. We want to get this war over with. But you can't win a war lying down. The quickest way to get it over with is to get the bastards who started it. We want to get the hell over there and clean the goddamn thing up, and then get at those purple-pissing Japs. The quicker they are whipped, the quicker we go home. The shortest way home is through Berlin and Tokyo. So keep moving. And when we get to Berlin, I am personally going to shoot that paper-hanging son-of-a-bitch Hitler." - George.S Patton

Specs

Home Rig:                                                                                                  :

CPU: Intel I7 3770 @ 3.4 Ghz

CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo                                                                  

GPU: MSI Radeon Rx 550 Aero ITX 1gb (amazing gpu btw)   
RAM: 2x4 Mismatched Ram Sticks                                                          

Motherboard: Pegatron 2AD5                                                                  

HDD: 1TB WD BLUE                                                                               

Case: HP 7500 Series MT Case                                                            

PSUCooler Master 500W Elite                                                              

Workstation:

CPU: i7 5960x @4.3Ghz

CPU Cooler: Kraken X62                                                                                                                 

GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti 1G

RAM: Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4 2133Mhz

Mobo: Asus X99- Deluxe

HDD: WD Blue 4TB 5200RPM

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Case: Corsair 750D 

PSU: Corsair RM 750x

Do you feel the drive clicking? If not, it's (relatively) safe to unplug. That's what I have to do everyday. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

27 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Do you feel the drive clicking? If not, it's (relatively) safe to unplug. That's what I have to do everyday. 

Yes i can click on it, that's why it pops up that message

29 minutes ago, khazad said:

Yes i can click on it, that's why it pops up that message

No, when you hold the drive, do you feel any clicking? 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 hour ago, Jamiec1130 said:

No, when you hold the drive, do you feel any clicking? 

Ah you mean if it's moving? um i don't think so, the light of the HDD turns off after a few minutes if the drive is not being used.

1 hour ago, khazad said:

Ah you mean if it's moving? um i don't think so, the light of the HDD turns off after a few minutes if the drive is not being used.

If the light has turned off, and you can’t feel it moving or hear it clicking, the. You are fine to remove it. That means the system isn’t using it. 

I experience this too. 

i found a solution that i do everytime.

1.run command prompt

2. type in shutdown [space] [drive letter:]

3. type in exit and hit enter quickly.

4. quickly click eject for the drive.

if it doesnt work, try again but faster.

*note: the collen : should be necessary. i do it everytime.

* the shutdown command doesnt shutdown the drive. it prepares for proper local or remote shutdown of the drive.

I'm a fan of Intel

36 minutes ago, rennygt3 said:

I experience this too. 

i found a solution that i do everytime.

1.run command prompt

2. type in shutdown [space] [drive letter:]

3. type in exit and hit enter quickly.

4. quickly click eject for the drive.

if it doesnt work, try again but faster.

*note: the collen : should be necessary. i do it everytime.

* the shutdown command doesnt shutdown the drive. it prepares for proper local or remote shutdown of the drive.

Already found a solution, i opened and closed a txt file, and then it removed safely.

It won't hurt it if you just pull the USB plug out, and it's not writing data.

I do it all the time with my WD drive...in fact, it has no "safely remove" option.

You're just being paranoid.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red