.cat registry offices raided by Spanish police, arrests have been made

The offices of Fundació puntCAT, the people managing the ".cat" TLD have been raided by Spanish police.

The company was asked to block all domains that contain any content regarding the upcoming referendum in Catalonia, which they refused to do, resulting in the raid.

This is highly unusual, usually censorship is done at the ISP level and not by trying to force the domain registrar to remove domains.

Existing domains will most likely not be affected by this raid, because the actual DNS infrastructure is managed by CORE and not Fundació puntCAT.

Their CTO has been arrested and charged with "sedition". He is still detained by Spanish police.

The Fundació puntCAT wants to express its utmost condemnation, indignation and reprobation for the actions that it has been suffering lately with successive judicial mandates, searches and finally the arrest of our Director of Innovation and Information Systems, Pep Masoliver.

We are a private and non for profit foundation devoted to ensuring that Catalan – a persecuted and maltreated language – has its space in the digital world. We assist all our users with the greatest professionalism and we are a reference entity in Catalonia and in the world.

The show that we have experienced in our offices this morning has been shameful and degrading, unworthy of a civilized country. We feel helpless in the face of these immensely disproportionate facts.

We demand the immediate release of our colleague and friend.

We will continue to work for our foundational objectives as well as for the defense of freedom of expression on the Internet.

source: https://www.internetnews.me/2017/09/20/dotcat-registry-offices-raided-spanish-police/

13 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

This is getting pretty intense in Catalonia. 

Seeing how stubborn they are its gonna get ugly very soon, maybe even gory. Meanwhile the EU is busy with "other"(politics banned here so i can say only this much) things.

Edited by jagdtigger

2 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

I wonder if there's a lol.cat and if it's used like what I'm thinking it should...

there is a http.cat

First they came for stormerfags, and I did not speak out, becuase I was not a stormerfag 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

17 minutes ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

What exactly is a stormerfag?

DailyStormer

"If you ain't first, you're last"

15 hours ago, N0ps32 said:

The offices of Fundació puntCAT, the people managing the ".cat" TLD have been raided by Spanish police.

The company was asked to block all domains that contain any content regarding the upcoming referendum in Catalonia, which they refused to do, resulting in the raid.

This is highly unusual, usually censorship is done at the ISP level and not by trying to force the domain registrar to remove domains.

Existing domains will most likely not be affected by this raid, because the actual DNS infrastructure is managed by CORE and not Fundació puntCAT.

Their CTO has been arrested and charged with "sedition". He is still detained by Spanish police.

source: https://www.internetnews.me/2017/09/20/dotcat-registry-offices-raided-spanish-police/

have they tried switching to a .dog registry?

16 hours ago, DoctorWho1975 said:

What exactly is a stormerfag?

everyone was ok with the the Daily Stormer getting their domain revoked no matter where they parked it because they are racist, anti-semetic. Which, btw, IS NOT ok to do so, but no one liked them, so no one defended them. It made no one uncomfortable that people were getting their domains revoked because the opinions expressed on the site tied to it were considered wrong. 

It always starts with someone everyone can agree is disgusting and they start moving from there. Like gab.ai, who's crime is not censoring people like twitter. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

15 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

everyone was ok with the the Daily Stormer getting their domain revoked no matter where they parked it because they are racist, anti-semetic. Which, btw, IS NOT ok to do so, but no one liked them, so no one defended them. It made no one uncomfortable that people were getting their domains revoked because the opinions expressed on the site tied to it were considered wrong. 

It always starts with someone everyone can agree is disgusting and they start moving from there. Like gab.ai, who's crime is not censoring people like twitter. 

Umm, there was a pretty severe outcry about the Daily Stormer being crashed, including in this very tech news subforum.

They're a bunch of biggoted assholes who encourage others to be biggoted assholes, but as you said, that doesn't make it okay to essentially force them off the internet...

34 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Umm, there was a pretty severe outcry about the Daily Stormer being crashed, including in this very tech news subforum.

They're a bunch of biggoted assholes who encourage others to be biggoted assholes, but as you said, that doesn't make it okay to essentially force them off the internet...

Agreed. Though this situation is rather different than the DailyStormer. This is much more like seizing a TV station, it just happens to be a name registry. This was also a government on "government" on private property issue, which is going to be really complex.

54 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

really? Cause here was one of the only places aside from kotakuinaction that I saw anyone displeased with it. Everywhere else on reddit for example seemed pretty one sided about it, and usually when it comes to guns and internet rights even the 'far left' subreddits see a pretty balanced group of people on it. In fact I was really surprised at just how little people I found against it. 

muh specs 

All parts black

23 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

really? Cause here was one of the only places aside from kotakuinaction that I saw anyone displeased with it. Everywhere else on reddit for example seemed pretty one sided about it, and usually when it comes to guns and internet rights even the 'far left' subreddits see a pretty balanced group of people on it. In fact I was really surprised at just how little people I found against it. 

Eh. All the IRC groups I go on were pretty up in arms about it, here was pretty up in arms about it, mastadon had a flairup of pretty "WTF" toots (which is weird considering how left Mastadon is normally), and a couple other places I frequent were pretty vocal on the matter. Maybe I'm just on the niche part of the internet that actually cared.

1 minute ago, Sniperfox47 said:

Eh. All the IRC groups I go on were pretty up in arms about it, here was pretty up in arms about it, mastadon had a flairup of pretty "WTF" toots (which is weird considering how left Mastadon is normally), and a couple other places I frequent were pretty vocal on the matter. Maybe I'm just on the niche part of the internet that actually cared.

well ofc the niche internet cares, they know more about...the internet. I look to stuff like reddit for mainstream people who happen to use the internet. Yah know, just above the smartphone crowd. 

muh specs 

All parts black