Sata vs sata/periph

TheRedViper

Hello there, I was wondering if theres a difference between the Sata and the Sata/periph ports on a psu? I have 2 Sata/periph ports and 3 sata ports on mine but I have 5 molex connections to make (ez plug, 2 pumps, 1 reservoir leds, aquaero power) but I would prefer to have some on single cables to have it look cleaner.

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K  MOBO: ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA GPU: 2080ti Hall of Fame 10th anniversary limited edition  PSU: Asus ROG THOR 1200W  COOLER: Optimus foundation black acetal RADS: 3x EKWB CoolStream PE 360  LOOP: EKWB torque HDC fittings / EKWB ZMT 15,9/9,5mm / EKWB CryoFuel Clear MONITOR: Acer predator X34

24 minutes ago, TheRedViper said:

Hello there, I was wondering if theres a difference between the Sata and the Sata/periph ports on a psu? I have 2 Sata/periph ports and 3 sata ports on mine but I have 5 molex connections to make (ez plug, 2 pumps, 1 reservoir leds, aquaero power) but I would prefer to have some on single cables to have it look cleaner.

Are you talking about the labelling on the PSU?

If the PSU says it'll fit then it'll fit. That means that one or more of the plugs on the PSU itself can take different types of peripheral cables plugged into them.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

220-T2-1600-X1_XL_5.jpg

Theres 2 molex ports, i want to know if i can plug a molex cable into a sata port instead of sata/periph. Is it the same voltage? (Theyre both 6 pins) 

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K  MOBO: ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA GPU: 2080ti Hall of Fame 10th anniversary limited edition  PSU: Asus ROG THOR 1200W  COOLER: Optimus foundation black acetal RADS: 3x EKWB CoolStream PE 360  LOOP: EKWB torque HDC fittings / EKWB ZMT 15,9/9,5mm / EKWB CryoFuel Clear MONITOR: Acer predator X34

7 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

Your statement is confusing, so let's try to clear something up.

These are SATA connectors. Often used to power hard drives, SSDs, DVD drives, and sometimes newer pumps or fan controllers. I have only ever heard this connector referred to as a SATA connector:

Image result for SATA power connector

This here is a molex connector also sometimes called a peripheral connector. It has been around for decades and if often used on older legacy hardware:

Image result for molex power connector

Are these connectors interchangeable? Yes, with the right adapters a molex connector can be converted to SATA and vice versa since the line voltages are the same. 

If you want to have a clean look, run only the connectors required to power your devices. 

8 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Are you talking about the labelling on the PSU?

If the PSU says it'll fit then it'll fit. That means that one or more of the plugs on the PSU itself can take different types of peripheral cables plugged into them.

Check my reply above, i dont know if its more clear

• 2 years later...

@theredviper Did you ever learn your answer? 

I moved my the motherboard and parts from a evga 600w gold to a evga 1600w and heard a pop and now it won't post.

The only difference was I had to use all 24 pins to plug into the motherboard and I put the SSD into a SATA PSU output instead of a peripheral output. 

I did use the connector cords of the 600w evga to plugin into the 1600w evga, all expect the 24 pin which was hard wired into the 600w PSU. I had to use the connector that came with the 1600w psu. ... so it is also possible the gpu connectors and SATA connectors and CPU connectors I used were not compatible with the larger PSU. 

At this point I'm just not sure. Ordered a new motherboard and before I plug everything back up I'd like to mate sure the SATA connector cord can hook into the Periphial slot in the PSU as well as the SATA. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2020 at 3:30 PM, Hudson Atwell said:

I moved my the motherboard and parts from a evga 600w gold to a evga 1600w and heard a pop and now it won't post.

The only difference was I had to use all 24 pins to plug into the motherboard and I put the SSD into a SATA PSU output instead of a peripheral output. 

I did use the connector cords of the 600w evga to plugin into the 1600w evga, all expect the 24 pin which was hard wired into the 600w PSU. I had to use the connector that came with the 1600w psu. ... so it is also possible the gpu connectors and SATA connectors and CPU connectors I used were not compatible with the larger PSU. 

At this point I'm just not sure. Ordered a new motherboard and before I plug everything back up I'd like to mate sure the SATA connector cord can hook into the Periphial slot in the PSU as well as the SATA. 

I think i ended up buying sata to molex cables to only use the 3 sata ports. Its been awhile.

On 2/23/2020 at 9:30 PM, Hudson Atwell said:

I did use the connector cords of the 600w evga to plugin into the 1600w evga, all expect the 24 pin which was hard wired into the 600w PSU. 

To answer OP's question from 2017, there should be no pinout difference between sata and sata/periph(or else it shouldnt say sata on both) but maybe the sata/periph can output more Amper(for molex stuff).

To answer your question, i'm sure that the 600W cables are not compatible with the 1600W and it should be common sense that you don't use modular cables from different manufacturer/model PSU's(unless the manufacturers site says otherwise). If youre lucky, only one things dead but since you used the wrong cables for every part in your PC, everything could be dead(cpu, mobo, ssd, gpu and god knows what else).

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

13 minutes ago, Ralf said:

To answer OP's question from 2017, there should be no pinout difference between sata and sata/periph(or else it shouldnt say sata on both) but maybe the sata/periph can output more Amper(for molex stuff).

To answer your question, i'm sure that the 600W cables are not compatible with the 1600W and it should be common sense that you don't use modular cables from different manufacturer/model PSU's(unless the manufacturers site says otherwise). If youre lucky, only one things dead but since you used the wrong cables for every part in your PC, everything could be dead(cpu, mobo, ssd, gpu and god knows what else).

so im lucky??? my sata cables are since ata became sata