2 GPU PC rig in Hot humid South Florida garage, how much more can extra fans help?

marvin5881

Hey guys, I'm running a running a rendering and gaming rig with an i7-6700, R9 290 and a RX Vega 56 (295w TDP) inside of a computer that's inside of a hot humid sweaty Florida garage (no other options for location). I currently have 3 case fans right now, how much more would it help if I had a total of 5 or 6? Right now with both of my GPUs on at the same time (which is the entire day) The R9 290 (This is even with the GPU being a Powercolor PCS+ which has 3 fans on full blast) hits 94C and the RX Vega 56 hits 87C. Would it be worth it getting a new case so I can add more fans? How much do you suppose my temperatures would drop?

The point of case fans is to attempt to exchange the air in your case with that of the room the PC is in, and in an ideal case they do this quickly enough that the air inside the case is effectively ambient temperature, but in reality this will never be the case.  The question is how close do they get you though.  If I had to try to find out, I would compare running the PC normally to running the PC with the side panel off and a fan blowing on it.  It's not perfect but it should give you a general idea for how much hotter things are when using the case fans normally.  If it's a significant difference, there's a good chance more fans would help.  If there is little or no difference, then you have enough, and it's the components themselves (GPU, etc), that need better coolers.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Why can't you move it from the garage? That's the only thing that could realistically help temperatures.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

4 minutes ago, marvin5881 said:

Hey guys, I'm running a running a rendering and gaming rig with an i7-6700, R9 290 and a RX Vega 56 (295w TDP) inside of a computer that's inside of a hot humid sweaty Florida garage (no other options for location). I currently have 3 case fans right now, how much more would it help if I had a total of 5 or 6? Right now with both of my GPUs on at the same time (which is the entire day) The R9 290 (This is even with the GPU being a Powercolor PCS+ which has 3 fans on full blast) hits 94C and the RX Vega 56 hits 87C. Would it be worth it getting a new case so I can add more fans? How much do you suppose my temperatures would drop?

What type of case do you have? How many fans does it have? Does your house have A/C? Otherwise, fans will help a bit. But you might want to consider watercoolers for the gpus.

I have a Zalman Z9 Neo, 3 case fans no A/C as the computer is in the garage. It's the only place with privacy and room for a PC setup.

14 minutes ago, marvin5881 said:

More case fans should optimize better airflow throughout the case, considering how much heat output is being generated from your components, bringing more airflow into the case with more case fans should reduce temperatures. It's possible the GPU's themselves, the blower style coolers on the AMD GPU's especially when under load, have always ran hotter compared to open style coolers. Increasing airflow throughout the case by adding more case fans should reduce temperatures by a small margin. 

Whats ambient temp there? If its close to 35C or over, you aren't going to get much lower temps. Maybe 5C lower. Also, if you can, have some space between cards. If they are right next to eachother, one card will have it fans blocked by other.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv