Tom's Guide: A11 Bionic is the real deal (iPhone 8 review)

TheReal1980

So Tom's Guide did a review of the iPhone 8 and 8+ and while the design offers less to nothing, the inside show something else:

What about real-world performance? We edited and exported the same 2-minute 4K video clip on the iPhone 8, Galaxy Note 8 and Galaxy S8 using the Adobe Premiere Clip app, and it wasn’t even close. The iPhone 8 finished the task in 42 seconds, compared with more than 3 minutes for the Galaxy Note 8 and more than 4 minutes for the Galaxy S8+.

The iPhone 8 also opened larger apps faster than both its predecessor and the top Android phone right now. It took the handset 11 seconds to fully load the Injustice 2 game, compared with 14.53 seconds for the iPhone 7 Plus and 19 seconds for the Note 8.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/iphone-8-and-8-plus,review-4675.html

So it seems Apple stepped up their CPU and GPU game big time. What do you think of the results?

If it ain´t broke don't try to break it.

I guess I'm upgrading the SE and Note 5 to the 8+... 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Surely the optimization between hardware and software plays a big part as well? 

2 minutes ago, coolkingler1 said:

Surely the optimization between hardware and software plays a big part as well? 

Depends on the test, for some yes for some not so much.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

A9 still is good until it start's lagging in iOS 11. 

Who gives a shit about MORE PERFORMANCE if it doesn't lag in the OS or 99.98% apps on a phone.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

That seems too good to just be the CPU at work.

I can't find any info about it but my guess is that the encoding stage is hardware accelerated on iOS (not sure about Android). It might also be different presets between iOS and Android.

It would be interesting to see how the iPhone 7 compared.

Still won't make me buy an Apple product.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Nice!

would still not buy an iPhone

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

the one thing Apple will always do better than android.

androids greatest feature is its biggest flaw.

its too customizable to be optimized to apple levels

apple products are optimized and made to be as user-friendly as possible

Mouse: Logitech g402 <3

Keyboard: Some Tenkeyless with blue kalih switches

Headphones: Logitech g430

Monitor: HP w2207h (1680 x 1050 @ 60hz)

PC Specs:CPU(AMD A8 6500 @3.5ghz), Mobo ( ASUS A68HM-E  FM2+), 1x1600mhz 4gb stick of ram, Random grey PSU, 920gb ssd

PhoneIphone 5 32gb

Tablet: Ipad 2 16gb

Laptop:Toshiba satelite with 8gb of ram a 480gb ssd and a mobile 2nd gen I3

27 minutes ago, TheReal1980 said:

What do you think of the results?

not really taking advantage of all the performance on the phone, seriously only a 1080p screen, no proper multitasking support overall meh, i still hope they do something to take advantage of the performance. 

8 minutes ago, crysilis said:

its too customizable to be optimized to apple levels

084.png

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Just wondering, was there any thing else they upgraded besides the CPU?GPU?

4 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

What he means is that having tight control over a lot of OS operations can have an advantage.

if it's fully customisable then one would assume that you can have a tight control over a lot of the OS operations since, you know, it's fully customisable

8 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

if it's fully customisable then one would assume that you can have a tight control over a lot of the OS operations since, you know, it's fully customisable

its just like the pc vs consoles, android has to support a lot more devices, and feature levels so optimizing is more difficult 

Well, Apple always aces when it comes to their mobile processors so not that surprised :\.

Wish they didn't decrease the battery capacity, allow for only regular wireless charging speeds and force you to spend 80-90$/€ on a separate USB cable and wall adapter haha!

51 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

That seems too good to just be the CPU at work.

I can't find any info about it but my guess is that the encoding stage is hardware accelerated on iOS (not sure about Android). It might also be different presets between iOS and Android.

It would be interesting to see how the iPhone 7 compared.

This is very likely. Apple does the exact same thing in Final Cut Pro by utilizing Quicksync. Exports on the Macbook (non pro) are comparable or better than a Windows workstation with Premiere.

Considering its virtually a given for Apple SoCs to include HEVC encoding hardware, I would be surprised if the software didn't leverage it.

As Apple uses NVME and some extremely fast encryption/decryption hardware, they've had the edge for awhile in opening large apps and games.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

10 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

android has to support a lot more devices, and feature levels so optimizing is more difficult 

android can be cut down to just the necessary for the specific device. pyo

google doesn't serve a giant blob with the drivers for all devices currently available. pyo

that's what fully customisable mean. pyo

poem being lazy and not doing it doesn't mean android is soar bloated and therefore unable to be fully optimised for a specific hardware. pyo

16 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

android can be cut down to just the necessary for the specific device. pyo

google doesn't serve a giant blob with the drivers for all devices currently available. pyo

that's what fully customisable mean. pyo

poem being lazy and not doing it doesn't mean android is soar bloated and therefore unable to be fully optimised for a specific hardware. pyo

Dude don't pyo everything. -_-

Good for them, but call me the next time you need to do heavy video editing on a smartphone.

3600X @ stocke | 5600XT TUF OC @ 1850 | 2x16 + 2x8 RAM 3200 HD | 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus | Lian Li 205M | TT Toughpower Grand RGB 850 | throwaway b450 asus mobo | BQ cooler

Ordered the 8+. I’ll use the 6s as an mp3 player. :D 

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

2 hours ago, themctipers said:

A9 still is good until it start's lagging in iOS 11. 

I've only been running iOS11 for a day, but I haven't noticed any issues with it running on my 6s Plus.

2 hours ago, themctipers said:

Who gives a shit about MORE PERFORMANCE if it doesn't lag in the OS or 99.98% apps on a phone.

A large portion of people who overclock their CPUs. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

I've only been running iOS11 for a day, but I haven't noticed any issues with it running on my 6s Plus.

A large portion of people who overclock their CPUs. 

That sounds nice, no issues here on jb 9.3.3 still :D 

iOS 12 then.. or a future iOS 11 update.

see phone

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.