Flash Drive > ISO (opposite way to normal)

Squish4058
Go to solution Solved by Squish4058,

Update, I have found a drive enclosure made by a company called IODD that has firmware that does exactly this and more, can mount ISOs while also keeping the drive mounted both over a single usb

So we all know you can burn ISO to discs or USB drives, and such forth install operating systems.

I use live windows installs off 64GB usb drives on a monthly basis (basically full windows 10 running off usb) and essentially want to make a multi boot usb.

Is there any way of taking a currently loaded flash drive and saving it into an ISO file, so that said ISO file can then be given to others who can use tools such as RUFUS to put the same working bootable system onto another drive of the exact same model?

EDIT: side note, does anyone know anything about booting VHD files, I know support was added sometime after windows 7 but am looking into it now

I really don't think there's an easy way to do that. Windows would (at the very least) give a fuss about being moved in such a rude way. I don't think it would be easy to maintain the bootability of the drives. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

44 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I really don't think there's an easy way to do that. Windows would (at the very least) give a fuss about being moved in such a rude way. I don't think it would be easy to maintain the bootability of the drives. 

You see I thought that, but you can take images of bootable drives just fine. This is entirely possible with an image and I would happily do it with an image but I need it to be smaller than the entire drive :/ the end goal is a single 64GB portable ssd that can multiboot a few linux distros and boot a working live windows 10 :/

You can make .ISO's from USB same way its done from DVD etc. I don't know if it would be possible to make working ISO/image from working system and expect that to work just like that.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Check this? Imgburn has been good to me in the past.

I know Mac OS and Linux have the dd command which I find easier, but I'm also weird and like only using the keyboard xD

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/19/2017 at 1:10 PM, kris2340k said:

So we all know you can burn ISO to discs or USB drives, and such forth install operating systems.

I use live windows installs off 64GB usb drives on a monthly basis (basically full windows 10 running off usb) and essentially want to make a multi boot usb.

Is there any way of taking a currently loaded flash drive and saving it into an ISO file, so that said ISO file can then be given to others who can use tools such as RUFUS to put the same working bootable system onto another drive of the exact same model?

EDIT: side note, does anyone know anything about booting VHD files, I know support was added sometime after windows 7 but am looking into it now

Copy and paste all of the items on the USB into a folder on the HDD or SSD. Use imgburn to create an .iso out of the items in that folder. 

29 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

Copy and paste all of the items on the USB into a folder on the HDD or SSD. Use imgburn to create an .iso out of the items in that folder. 

That wouldn't maintain the bootability of Windows, which the OP is using. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Update, I have found a drive enclosure made by a company called IODD that has firmware that does exactly this and more, can mount ISOs while also keeping the drive mounted both over a single usb