Apple AirPods - Another Experience

(In response to some recent posts about Apple AirPods, I've added the review I wrote in this LTT thread)

I am a multi-platform user (I have Windows at home, Mac at school, and Linux at work) That is to say, I'm not a fanboy of any particular brand. However, I spend a LOT of time on the phone. I was a skeptic of Apple's Airpods ("oooh it's shiny and makes a bell sound" :P ) . But when my brother gave me a demo of his headsets, I bought them the same day.

Here's why:

• The AirPods work with FindMyiPhone and will help you know where they last were connected to your phone ("did I leave them at work or in the couch?")
  • Each AirPod can (individually) be made to emit a chirp loud enough to be heard through some couch cushions if you lose one.
  • The charging "pod" fits well in the average jean pocket, and allows you to keep one on the charge and one in an ear at nearly all times
  • I'm not the refined audiophile that many LTT members are, but the Airpods present acceptably good sound for my use and enjoyment.
  • If using both earpieces for stereo sound, removing one side automatically pauses your media (and starts it again once replaced).
  • (Unlike Linus :) ) I use Siri to do a number of things by simply tapping the earpiece in my ear twice (lightning fast Siri response compared to other headsets)
  • The earpieces them selves are comfortable enough for my big ears that I've often forgotten they were there. (and violent head-shaking still won't dislodge them)
  • The charging pod recharges via lightning cable (like my iPhone)
  • They stay connected to the phone better than most, and (unlike the Plantronics Voyager) they use optical 'in-ear' detection instead of capacitive(?) and don't inexplicably disconnect audio thinking you've removed the headset from your head for no reason.

I am extremely surprised at how much I appreciate several of the AirPods' features. In the midst of my worries that Apple has lost their way (see the Sept. 12, 2017  Event :( ) the air pods are a notable win for function and design, and beat my expectations and many competitor headsets that I have used in the past. I give a firm (and surprising for myself) recommendation for the Apple Airpods.

Due diligence - Other LTT member reviews:

By @lukestechtips

Spoiler

A post about Airpods with lots of LTT member feedback: 

Spoiler

Happy Hunting!

1 hour ago, Fahim Foysal said:

Would the sound quality from these please a small time audiophile?

Some cursory google searches indicate that sound quality is both objective and subjective. 

To best answer your question, I can say that, subjectively, the AirPods have good sound integrity for me, as well as for my wife (who is a musician with excellent pitch sensitivity). They are better in sound quality than the EarPods. And a MacRumors 'Air vs. Ear' Forum Poll seems to agree: Link

Sound quality is definitely a hard thing to review. But for me, they are more than adequate for on-the-go listening, ready hands free phone calling, and seamless interaction with an iPhone.

If you're after "The best sound money can buy" for 150 USD... the popular knowledge suggests you look elsewhere.

More Due Diligence - Some other reviews you might find helpful:

• See LTT member @lukestechtips review linked in my OP.
  • A technical assessment by SoundGuys.com: Link
  • An overall review by Wired.com (including an "a few months later" followup): Link

Hopefully this helps and Happy Hunting!

3 hours ago, Fahim Foysal said:

Would the sound quality from these please a small time audiophile?

I have $10,000 in just audio in my signature. The airpods sound great for what they are.