Toys 'R' Us files for bankruptcy protection while it restructures it's debts

Master Disaster

I know this is on the fringe of tech news but Toys R Us do sell video gaming stuff plus I feel this is part of a larger debate, namely internet shopping Vs brick & mortar, if mods disagree please move.

The once giant toy retailer has today filed for bankruptcy protection while it gets to restructure it's debts

Toys 'R' Us has filed for bankruptcy protection in the US and Canada as it attempts to restructure its debts.

The retailer was once a dominant player in the US toy market, but has struggled against larger rivals such as Amazon, Walmart and Target.

The move casts a shadow over the future of the company's nearly 1,600 stores and 64,000 employees.

The firm's operations in Australia and Europe and a joint venture in Asia are not part of the bankruptcy proceedings.

Market analysts are citing online competition as the reason saying Toys R Us failed to stay relevant in an increasingly online world

The bankruptcy filing is more evidence that traditional retailers are struggling in the US, as online retailers continue to capture market share.

GlobalData Retail estimates that in 2016 about 13.7% of all toy sales were made online, up from 6.5% five years ago.

"The past decade has seen a dramatic change in the domestic toy market with new channels, increased competition, and new technology all having a deleterious impact on the sector and traditional toy stores. Unfortunately, Toys 'R' Us has not responded effectively to these challenges," said Neil Saunders, the GlobalData Retail managing director.

Toys 'R' Us said the majority of its stores around the world remained profitable, and would continue to operate as normal through the holiday period, which is when they do most of their business.

But the company is also looking to online sales to secure its future, with recently launched web stores for its products.

Of course the company is looking to restructure and improve its performance to try and save itself

Toys 'R' Us wants to use the bankruptcy process to restructure and make the company viable over the long term.

Enormous debt levels are its most immediate problem.

Various lenders, including a JPMorgan-led bank syndicate and some of the company's existing lenders, have committed more than $3bn in new financing to turn the company around.

"A combination of high debt and severe structural changes in the industry created a toxic mix against which Toys 'R' Us had little choice but to restructure and try to put itself on a firmer footing," said Mr Saunders.

However, the company says the new financing will improve the company's financial health and support its operations during the court-supervised bankruptcy process.

"Our objective is to work with our debt holders and other creditors to restructure the $5bn of long-term debt on our balance sheet, which will provide us with greater financial flexibility to invest in our business," said chief executive Dave Brandon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41316205

So this is a fascinating topic IMO, so many once huge businesses failed to respond to online shopping and evolve their model and many of them are now in serious trouble.

The issue (IMO) is that a lot of people are now too busy to to go out shopping and/or prefer the convenience of doing it from home and having it delivered and the online presence of traditional retailers simply cannot match that of companies that made their names doing online shopping from day one.

The high street is slowly becoming a thing of the past.

Also $5B debt!!!

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i guess this means toys r us is history now..

in other words, toys were us. :P

It's hard to see how they could recover from five billion dollar debts TBH, short of a buyout I suppose.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

It's hard to see how they could recover from five billion dollar debts TBH, short of a buyout I suppose.

well.. depending on location the stores could be worth a lot, and while brick & mortar toy stores are becoming more questionable in value at every corner (since about a year ago my computer components retailer of choice also offers toys because they can have MASSIVE margins on them and sitll undercut the average brick & mortar toy store, despite of being brick & mortar themselves) there's plenty of other buisinesses that are dying for large property like that of most toy stores of yesteryear.

my boss has been eyeing the property of a long gone toy store nearby because the bank building we're in now is getting more cramped each month.. its kinda becoming "LMG before the move" sort of cramped. unfortunately as of yet no "for sale" signs :P

$5bn debt is a significant amount of money and the company is even lucky to get commitment from other lenders. They would probably have to start cutting pay for employees or possibly relocating the business because they cant afford the expenses if they cant pay the debt off.

What I don't understand is that the biggest loss of money is due to Baby R Us. Baby R Us doesn't work, it is always empty at Toys R Us, yet, it consumed a massive part of the Toys R Us. And this is not new. Baby R Us never worked. On some of them it is nearly 50% of the store. All it does is reduce the toys selections that Toys R Us sales, allowing consumers go to their competitor for popular toys as they are sold out, instead of having mass shelf's of it, ensuring consumers buy the popular toys there, and others toys on their way.

Like I understand having Baby R Us for 3 to 5 years as the companies tries to push it. But it didn't work, why continue?

Hopefully the restructure will put the company back on track.

Well, The stores in the Nordic countries that have the name Toys R Us Is isnt actually Toys R Us, its just a company that have a license to use the name. It wont be affected if the real Toys R Us goes bankrupt.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

I wonder what this means for their Australian stores.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

How did it amass $5bn in debt?

I'd guess it kept spending lots of money on bad business decisions but truthfully, I have no idea. I mean five billion is a silly amount of debt and as mentioned above, I'm surprised any investors were willing to inject anything into a company thats five billion in the red.

Somehow I'm expecting Mattel to buy them out and turn TRU into a huge Barbie distribution chain.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Explains why In the NYC area a number of them closed, including the massive 3 floor, 2 basement levels Store that had a merry-go-round inside. It was supposed that the rent there went up to 4Mil though.

TimeSquareNight2-1920x570.jpg

Toys-R-Us-Times-Square.jpg

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Only toys I ever kept were some Legos, Kinect for the creative aspect (before I had Minecraft xD),

A Frisbee,

Etch-a-sketch,

Rubik's Cube,

Yo-yo,

and I think that's it aside from some very early stuffed animals.

Video games simply took over the role of toys for me, which I now get mostly from Steam.

EDIT: Should probably include my old Bayblade spintop and all my Pokemon, Yugioh and Magic the Gathering cards I've collected as well as a few board games/puzzles:

Scrabble,

Axis & Allies 1941 (still dunno how to play),

Battleship.

Even at friends that have 5 year olds when I am over I see almost no toys. At this point toys seem to be only for babies and toddlers but when they hit 5+ parents just give them a tablet to keep them occupied. I wouldnt be surprised if ToysRUS goes down but BabiesRUS continues to do well. 

It is sad to see though.

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

What I don't understand is that the biggest loss of money is due to Baby R Us. Baby R Us doesn't work, it is always empty at Toys R Us, yet, it consumed a massive part of the Toys R Us. And this is not new. Baby R Us never worked. On some of them it is nearly 50% of the store. All it does is reduce the toys selections that Toys R Us sales, allowing consumers go to their competitor for popular toys as they are sold out, instead of having mass shelf's of it, ensuring consumers buy the popular toys there, and others toys on their way.

Like I understand having Baby R Us for 3 to 5 years as the companies tries to push it. But it didn't work, why continue?

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

Even at friends that have 5 year olds when I am over I see almost no toys. At this point toys seem to be only for babies and toddlers but when they hit 5+ parents just give them a tablet to keep them occupied. I wouldnt be surprised if ToysRUS goes down but BabiesRUS continues to do well. 

It is sad to see though.

Contradicting?

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

3 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

How did it amass $5bn in debt?

Massive stock of Bionicles and old Lego X Wings, pyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Many have reported Toys R Us does have inflated prices compared to other retailers but I hope they don't close out completely. As a LEGO collector I find it a great place to sometimes find older sets that are out of stock at other stores or that have been discontinued, not to mention the Bricktober and other exclusive sets. Also they seem to disregard the embargo of release dates and you can usually find things on the shelf a week or two before it officially should be which is a great way to score things early as I have benefited from a few times in the past.

[Case] Phanteks Eclipse P400S TG (Air Mesh) || [CPU] Ryzen 7 5800X || [Cooler] Dark Rock Slim || [Mobo] ROG STRIX B550-F || [RAM] 32GB Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

[GPU] XFX MERC319 Radeon RX 6950XT || [SSD] 1TB WD SN550 M.2 NVME || [HDD] 6TB Seagate IronWolf 7200 || [PSU] Corsair AX850

[Display] LG 27GL850 @ 2560x1440 - 144Hz || [Mouse] ROG Gladius II || [Keyboard] ROG Strix Flare (Cherry MX Red) || [Speakers] 2.1 Logitech Z-3 || [Fans] 3x 120mm Corsair LL RGB

Theater Room - My 11.1 Home Theater

Anybody old enough to remember picking up NES games in Toys R Us? They had only the titles on display and you had to grab that little paper. Those were some fun times.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Hopefully, 3DS games will go on sale if they close-out. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Another company that fails to notice the trend, and then gets killed by it.  I still and probably will always point to Blockbuster as the most hilarious and pathetic example, but this is just one of many since and yet to come.  The once great empires are going to have to figure out how to do things differently in this new internet age or they simply will not survive.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Well it isn't the 90s anymore so I'm not to surprised and given that the only thing I go out to a store and purchase are clothing food and gas, I wouldn't be surprised if most big retailers go under due to poor online storefronts.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

14 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Im pretty sure theres a full babies r us near me. Never been in there, hear it's haunted. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

52 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Im pretty sure theres a full babies r us near me. Never been in there, hear it's haunted. 

A haunted shop? Like a full baby's r us, with ghost sightings or something? Or am I missing a joke

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler