Folding@Home on Clevo Laptop

I know it is a thread that has been commonly posted on here but I just started my internship and I work in an office where many people don't shut their PCs down or put them to sleep at the end of the day. I have brought my own laptop which is a Clevo P650HP6-G and I use it in the office for internet usage since our work PCs are isolated from the internet and I have the FAH client folding away in the background on my GPU. My GPU is a GTX 1060 and since my laptop is in an office with the AC on 24/7 and Clevo has such a beast cooling for the GPU, the temps never gets above 75C. At the end of the week, I usually take my laptop home but I don't actually use it since I have my rig at home. My question is, would it be okay if I left my laptop to fold 24/7 during the weekdays in the office and giving it a rest on weekends when I bring my laptop home?

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

13 minutes ago, Geralt said:

I know it is a thread that has been commonly posted on here but I just started my internship and I work in an office where many people don't shut their PCs down or put them to sleep at the end of the day. I have brought my own laptop which is a Clevo P650HP6-G and I use it in the office for internet usage since our work PCs are isolated from the internet and I have the FAH client folding away in the background on my GPU. My GPU is a GTX 1060 and since my laptop is in an office with the AC on 24/7 and Clevo has such a beast cooling for the GPU, the temps never gets above 75C. At the end of the week, I usually take my laptop home but I don't actually use it since I have my rig at home. My question is, would it be okay if I left my laptop to fold 24/7 during the weekdays in the office and giving it a rest on weekends when I bring my laptop home?

75°C isn't that great for cooling, given it's a laptop though, meh. I would personally avoid 24/7 workloads on laptop grade parts, they aren't really meant for such a heavy load (as in 24/7) so you might end up prematurely wearing out the fans, batteries or the capacitors. The actual silicon should be fine, well, should be, idk how difference the binning is for the laptop parts. That said the PC is likely to be outdated before it dies. 

Yours faithfully

4 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

75°C isn't that great for cooling, given it's a laptop though, meh. I would personally avoid 24/7 workloads on laptop grade parts, they aren't really meant for such a heavy load (as in 24/7) so you might end up prematurely wearing out the fans, batteries or the capacitors. The actual silicon should be fine, well, should be, idk how difference the binning is for the laptop parts. That said the PC is likely to be outdated before it dies. 

Looking back, I would agree with you. There is a possibility that he could find a better way to cool his laptop.

Also I love your signature

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

18 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I think it would be pretty okay, as long as nobody broke into your office and stole it.

Nah, it's a pretty secure facility considering that I sit beside the datacenter and also it's a government office so yeah, security's pretty solid. Got a kensington lock on it as well.

5 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Yeah that was what I was expecting. Probably gonna upgrade it before it dies at all. That said, there's a 3 year warranty on my clevo laptop so yay?

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

Is that legal?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Looking back, I would agree with you. There is a possibility that he could find a better way to cool his laptop.

Also I love your signature

Ay thanks
I think the only improvement for laptop cooling is liquid metal TIM, because Thermal Grizzly conductonaut doesn't dry up at all over time, and it might improve the results a tiny bit (it's mostly the not drying up under heavy use that I like) so it's not likely to die prematurely. 

1 minute ago, Geralt said:

Nah, it's a pretty secure facility considering that I sit beside the datacenter and also it's a government office so yeah, security's pretty solid. Got a kensington lock on it as well.

Yeah that was what I was expecting. Probably gonna upgrade it before it dies at all. That said, there's a 3 year warranty on my clevo laptop so yay?

A 24/7 use case would fall outside of the warranty if they knew, so don't mention that, if it does fail just say you gamed lightly on it and some office work, play coy. 

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Is that legal?

If they don't want him leaving personal machines in the office, or don't like him using their power, probably not. I know from working with similar companies, if I found out someone had left a laptop behind like that, I'd flip out and fire them, data breaches often happen due to unsecured machines or other stray machines near by, but if their network is so weak to be infiltrated by a laptop left their they kinda deserve it. 

Yours faithfully

I wouldn't see too big of a problem. As long as you have permission. Also if you want even lower temps, slightly overvolting your CPU (Especially Skylake) might help reduce temps, but you theoretically should be fine. 

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Is that legal?

Not sure. Everyone leaves their computers running overnight without batting an eyelid. Except the weekends tho. Everyone shuts down their computers over the weekends. Some leave their personal laptops in the office but I bring mine back home for some cleaning since the keyboard picks up some gunk over the week.

~~~SnapDragon~~~

Just now, Geralt said:

Not sure. Everyone leaves their computers running overnight without batting an eyelid. Except the weekends tho. Everyone shuts down their computers over the weekends. Some leave their personal laptops in the office but I bring mine back home for some cleaning since the keyboard picks up some gunk over the week.

I'm thinking more the fact it's not just running but it's running a max load and using a lot of power, which costs money, and also that the work the machine is doing is going to you and not the company.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Geralt said:

I would say you might just need permission to run stuff like that over their network/in that facility. 

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm thinking more the fact it's not just running but it's running a max load and using a lot of power, which costs money, and also that the work the machine is doing is going to you and not the company.

9 minutes ago, CmzPlusHardware said:

I would say you might just need permission to run stuff like that over their network/in that facility. 

Come to think of it, yeah, didn't think about the network part, they might think that it's a dos attack if my laptop constantly sends out the WU.

Welp that was a crazy idea. :/

~~~SnapDragon~~~

It usually best to either ask or just not do it across corporate networks.  Depending on their network security, some firewalls can detect non-normal traffic.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

2 minutes ago, Ithanul said:

It usually best to either ask or just not do it across corporate networks.  Depending on their network security, some firewalls can detect non-normal traffic.

Yeah especially when WU gets sent back to the same IP address, the firewall can get pretty suspicious about it. Probably a stupid idea.

~~~SnapDragon~~~