Mobo/CPU makes my system fans run full speed after waking up!

Hello everyone!

Since months I have a problem that is driving me absolutely crazy. At this point I lost almost all hope of fixing it.

Every time I wake up my PC from sleep the 2 system fans run with full speed and will do until I restart the machine. I have a total of 4 fans mounted, 2 for my CPU cooling in front and one system fan on the top and one in the back. Every time it happens it is also associated with TMPIN2 to be -54C (which is what is causing them to spin at 100%, I believe). 

There are no exceptions - it happens every time.

I have flashed BIOS twice (from F2 version to F6 and then F7), changed every low-power state, turned off OC completely, restored default BIOS settings. Tried using either DC or PMW to steer fans. Tried different fans (currently I use beQuiet SilentWings 3 - HiSpeed, but I also tried with standard NZXT fans. I tried modifying the fan curves so only 80C or more would cause them to go above 50% I used different Windows programs to control fans. Every thing has failed. 

My gut tells me that there should be a proper setting in BIOS or Windows, but in my mind I honestly tried everything I could - anything I could find on Google for many days plus all my ideas. I am at the point of looking forward to buy new mobo/CPU just to get rid of that problem. Multiple sleep and waking up during the day is simply how I use my machine. 

If someone is good enough to solve this, I will be very, very impressed and extremely grateful. ^_^

Thank you!

did you restore bios settings in bios or by moving the jumper back and forth on the motherboard?
you could also turn off psu, remove battery and hold powerbutton for 30-60 seconds or atleast 5-10 seconds after all lights (if any) has turned off..

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

1 minute ago, Narnash said:

I would say ... don't bother and set something up with  SpeedFan (check YT for setup guides)

I tried and it did not work. Program has the control of the fans as expected, but after waking up the PC from sleep they will still spin at 100%.

1 minute ago, Changis said:

did you restore bios settings in bios or by moving the jumper back and forth on the motherboard?
you could also turn off psu, remove battery and hold powerbutton for 30-60 seconds or atleast 5-10 seconds after all lights (if any) has turned off..

Just in BIOS itself. I have this issue for 4+ months and 2 months ago I got a nice, new PSU (Corsair HX750i) and that did not help either.

Just now, Patoot said:

Just in BIOS itself. I have this issue for 4+ months and 2 months ago I got a nice, new PSU (Corsair HX750i) and that did not help either.

as long as the battery is connected, the bios settings will be the same, even if there is no working psu in the case..
resetting bios by moving the jumper or removing the battery guarantees the bios will return to it's original state..
i figure it's worth a try as it only takes 5 minutes tops

Have you tried to perform a sudden temporary interrupt of the electricity flow to your computational device followed by a re-initialization procedure of the central processing unit and associated components?

Personal Rig Specs

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.8GHZ
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270H GAMING
Graphics Card: Inno3D ICHILL GEFORCE GTX 1080 TI X3 ULTRA
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 2x8GB @ 3GHZ
Storage: 2 x Samsung NVMe SSD 960 EVO 256GB in Raid | 2 x Seagate 4TB Expansion Desktop 

(seagates are originally external drives removed from casing and installed internally)
PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 850W 
Case: Mission SG GGX 3.5 (same as Rosewill Cullinan or Anidees AI Crystal with other stock fans)
Cooling: Kraken X62 for CPU, Corsair H55 with NZXT Kraken G12 for GPU 

do a full reset of the BIOS settings, no need to remove battery

just go into BIOS and reset to factory defaults, save and exit.

also do you have any Gigabyte software install on the PC?

see if you have any fan settings left on 100%

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

21 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

do a full reset of the BIOS settings, no need to remove battery

just go into BIOS and reset to factory defaults, save and exit.

also do you have any Gigabyte software install on the PC?

see if you have any fan settings left on 100%

I have done all of the above. Couple BIOS resets. I didn't have Gigabyte software in the beginning but I installed it to see if that would solve the problem, it did not so I uninstalled it.

2 minutes ago, Patoot said:

I have done all of the above. Couple BIOS resets. I didn't have Gigabyte software in the beginning but I installed it to see if that would solve the problem, it did not so I uninstalled it.

even with Smart Fan set to low or zero mode?

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Just now, dragoon20005 said:

even with Smart Fan set to low or zero mode?

Exactly. This kind of software takes control nicely over my fans, but when I wake the PC from sleep it no longer matters. I think it sees the negative 54C as the critical state and spins as fast as it can.

deinstall the crappy cam software of nzxt

3x 128GB Samsung PM961 M.2 (2x Kryom PCI-E M.2 by Aqua Computer) on windows os raid and 1x PM961 as os Host on the motherboard m.2 slot
+ 250GB Samsung 850 EVO
+ 7200RPM Seagate 1 Terabyte HDD
  • PSU
    seasonic 750 prime platinum Active PFC F3
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15S (original fan replaced by an Noctua 140mm industrialPPC-2000 IP67 PWM + Steel 140mm fan guard)
  • Keyboard
    Cherry MX Board 6.0 ISOANSI + Vector/Tai keycaps+ Landing pads + O-rings
  • Mouse
    BenQ Zowie EC2-A White Edition
  • Sound
    Edirol Roland UA-25EX + Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 x64 (Enterprise) SP1, OpenSUSE, Remnux

1 minute ago, Patoot said:

Exactly. This kind of software takes control nicely over my fans, but when I wake the PC from sleep it no longer matters. I think it sees the negative 54C as the critical state and spins as fast as it can.

weird...

it kinda behaves like a server

Just now, NrKj105 said:

I think I have tried that, but I am not sure. Let me try :)

Just now, NrKj105 said:

ok good idea

@Patoot

try this

Just now, dragoon20005 said:

ok good idea

@Patoot

try this

I am doing it right now, but just FYI these fans are connected to mobo directly, technically CAM does not control any of my fans, even the CPU ones. And I think I had the same issue on a brand new install of Windows. Uninstalling now and going to update you in few minutes.

cam does control your fans if they are connected via pins on your mootherboard 

your bios fan setting and cam software should conflict thus the bios setting up the fans at 100% because it does not which one to listen to

3x 128GB Samsung PM961 M.2 (2x Kryom PCI-E M.2 by Aqua Computer) on windows os raid and 1x PM961 as os Host on the motherboard m.2 slot
+ 250GB Samsung 850 EVO
  • PSU
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15S (original fan replaced by an Noctua 140mm industrialPPC-2000 IP67 PWM + Steel 140mm fan guard)
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

yea if a fresh windows dont help

then you might have a faulty/wonky temp sensor on the mobo

It does not even see the TMPIN2 sensor right now. 

maybe the fan pins are not pwm?

i really dont understand , do you install any misc junkware on your os ? what bios is it ? uefi ? 

+ 250GB Samsung 850 EVO
  • PSU
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

2 minutes ago, NrKj105 said:

maybe the fan pins are not pwm?

i really dont understand , do you install any misc junkware on your os ? what bios is it ? uefi ? 

Pretty sure all fans are PMW and pins are good too. But I even checked with using DC only to control them and it did not help. I do not have any junk, and like I said - even clean Windows still has the issue. Previously I had it in BIOS and now it's UEFI, didn't change anything. Right now I have the newest BIOS version, after 2 upgrades over time. 

I know it looks like a I have a faulty sensor somehow (although if you don't put the PC to sleep it works without any issues), but there has to be a way to solve this.

then disable sleep function within windows ,

delete hibernate.sys for extrz storage

problem solved

+ 250GB Samsung 850 EVO
  • PSU
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

7 minutes ago, NrKj105 said:

then disable sleep function within windows ,

delete hibernate.sys for extrz storage

problem solved

Wouldn't that mean I can't put my PC to sleep?

i never use the sleep or hibernate function , if you are a eco freak then yes you could but the power draw of an computer idling with few processes isnt that much anyways

and yes if you disable sleep function you cannot put your session to sleep

this is the only solution i see except if you still have a garanty on your mobo

+ 250GB Samsung 850 EVO
  • PSU
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

• 1 year later...

Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I didn't find any answers to this anywhere, and it was annoying me for some time. But I finally solved the problem with speedfan. And this thread was one of the top results on google, when searching "speedfan wake up 50%".

It's really quite simple, but all you do in speedfan is click on configure, then go to the speeds tab, then highlight which fans you want, then make sure "automatically variated" is checked. Also, whatever you enter for a minimum value will be what your fans will be spinning at when you wake up from sleep. That's it.

I don't know how this will work with the advanced fan control, where you created a profile and start making a graph, because I don't use that, I just have fixed speeds which I manually alter, depending on gaming.

speedfan.png