\AWS now offers a virtual machine with over 4TB of memory

piemadd

Source: https://techcrunch.com/2017/09/14/aws-now-offers-a-virtual-machine-with-over-4tb-of-memory/?ncid=rss

Earlier this year, Amazon’s AWS group said that it was working on bringing instance types with between 4 to 16TB of memory to its users. It’s now starting to fulfill this promise as the company today launched its largest EC2 machine (in terms of memory size) yet: the x1e.32xlarge instance with a whopping 4.19TB of RAM. Previously, EC2’s largest instance only featured just over 2TB of memory.

"Only 2TB of memeroy." Oof. So, some of us remeber from CES in 2016 (i believe) when LTT made a video on a 4tb of theoretical memory being a thing. Well, now you can do that.

These machines feature quad-socket Intel Xeon processors running at 2.3 GHz, up to 25 Gbps of network bandwidth and two 1,920GB SSDs. There are obviously only a few applications that need this kind of memory. It’s no surprise, then, that these instances are certified to run SAP’s HANA in-memory database and its various tools and that SAP will offer direct support for running these applications on these instances.

Lot o' Xeon. 4tb of ssds as some sort of cache for any extended storage (HDDs).

These new instances are now available in four AWS regions: US East (Northern Virginia)US West (Oregon)EU (Ireland) and Asia Pacific (Tokyo). Running these instances doesn’t come cheap, of course. On-demand pricing in the US East region is $26.688 per hour and in Tokyo it’s $38.688, for example. That makes them AWS’s most expensive machines yet.

It’s worth noting that Microsoft Azure’s largest memory-optimized machine currently tops out at just over 2TB and that Google already calls it quits at 416GB of RAM.

Lot o' money too. From ~27 USD/hour to ~37 USD/hour depending on the region. Microsoft only has 2t ram machines, and google has 416gb ram machines.

i like trains 🙂

Psh, only 25Gbps host network speeds, that is just so 2016.

50Gbps or bust Amazon, gosh!

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

24 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

If you were the very small group of companies who need that much RAM, it would probably be cheaper to buy the hardware outright and do the hosting yourself. At 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, you would be blowing over $236,520 at a MINIMUM just for a single year. If you were to buy a 24/7/365 subscription at maximum cost, that would cost $324,120. On top of that, you can't resell the hardware later to recoup some of the cost, so to me this just seems kind of stupid. 

Something something IT, maintenance, costs, internet, whatever.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

4 minutes ago, PLME888 said:

wait what, 26 dollar per hour or 26k dollar per hour? damnit EU/US punctuation!

26 dollars per hour to 37 dollars per hour.

We use commas for thousands :) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

well, i feel like renting one for an hour and seeing how many chrome tabs i can bring up before it crumbles...

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

10 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

well, i feel like renting one for an hour and seeing how many chrome tabs i can bring up before it crumbles...

Rent it for an hour and legally pentest it with a group.

But can it run Crisis ;)

I'm impressed with the value, for the cost of a day out you can use one of the most powerful servers made available. This will most likely be used by people who need the entire dataset in RAM, use the server to generate/process the set to a more manageable size. I can't think of a use case where you would need 4TB 24/7 and not be able to spread it across multiple machines. 

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Two, two tabs in Chrome, pyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

guys, we're forgetting something here

"virtual machine"

THAT MEANS THAT THE ACTUAL MACHINE HAS MORE RAM OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT

i like trains 🙂

Just now, Implosivetech said:

guys, we're forgetting something here

"virtual machine"

THAT MEANS THAT THE ACTUAL MACHINE HAS MORE RAM OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT

Page Files and swap partitions exist, pyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Page Files and swap partitions exist, pyo.

but what if

what if the machine had more than 2tb of memory

oh fuk i missed 1,111 posts

i like trains 🙂

Just now, Implosivetech said:

but what if

what if the machine had more than 2tb of memory

oh fuk i missed 1,111 posts

Alternatively, what if it had swap partitions that totaled 3.5TiB and only 512GiB of physical RAM dedicated to the VM, pyo?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Alternatively, what if it had swap partitions that totaled 3.5TiB and only 512GiB of physical RAM dedicated to the VM, pyo?

wouldn't it just be simpler to lend out each machine at a fraction of the cost at that price, and let the users of the machines put them into virtual machines? That way, companies only needing that fraction of ram and bandwith could use it.

i like trains 🙂

On 9/17/2017 at 9:36 AM, CUDA_Cores said:

If you were the very small group of companies who need that much RAM, it would probably be cheaper to buy the hardware outright and do the hosting yourself. At 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, you would be blowing over $236,520 at a MINIMUM just for a single year. If you were to buy a 24/7/365 subscription at maximum cost, that would cost $324,120. On top of that, you can't resell the hardware later to recoup some of the cost, so to me this just seems kind of stupid. 

Thing is, these companies likely don't need it 24h/day, 365 days a year. They just need to be able to handle peak usage.

Reading this, I'm reminded of a Phoronix Article from a couple of days ago where they tested some dual socket Xeon Gold Servers and Single Socket AMD Epyc Server against some of Amazon's middle tier EC2 cloud instances.  Actually showed some really interesting results where all the solutions were trading blows based on different tasks...  Of course the highest Amazon Service tested was only the r4. 16xlarge which consists of 64 vCPUs & 488 GB of RAM for 4.256/hour so it would be interesting to see how this all stacks up to the x1e services.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-epyc-ec2&num=1