Skip coffee lake? And go for cannon or ice lake?

9 hours ago, lonewolf2887 said:

Dude that wasn't exactly needed :/ im just considering upgrade choices so either talk relivant not time wasting.

And those upgrade choices aren't even being TALKED about yet. seriously, 2019? You're making computer build considerations 2 years in advance... By the time Volta and ice lake and all the other garbage comes out, you'll be asking the SAME QUESTIONS. Wait for AMD's offer? Wait for Intel whatever-lake? should i wait for DDR5? These are the same questions asked by people who end up building NOTHING because all they ever want is the next big thing, when it's already here. Hell the next gen nVidea cards might start with a 1180ti? or 2080ti or whatever you think they're gonna be! you don't know, I don't know, NO ONE KNOWS! These silly questions get you nowhere. either you build today, or you build when you're ready. Asking about tech that's not even announced yet and to plan for 2 years down to road is... a colossal waste of everyone's time, including yours.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

On 9/16/2017 at 7:08 PM, lonewolf2887 said:

I'm not looking to upgrade my build till late into 2018 or early 2019 my current cpu is I7 7700k I feel it'll be fine for what I do which is game design and gaming.The parts i was considering upgrading was monitor to 4k or 2k 144hz which ever is do able at the time im currently using 1080p 144hz with gtx 1070 Asus strix which I'm gonna upgrade to either 2070 or 2080 and good mobo.

Upgrade when your current CPU is no more good, as long as it hold on why change it ? Unless you just want all the new stuff all the time :P 

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

On 9/16/2017 at 7:21 PM, JDE said:

Wait for Cannonlake or Zen+. Cannon Lake will be 2019 (I think) and 10nm. Zen+ is next year and 7nm

Zen+ is 14nm+ early 2018, zen2 is 7nm late 2018

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I'm just thinking ahead also read properly I said half way through 2018 or early 2019 it depends on perfomance improvement knightslugger you've given no postive advice just complaints about thinking ahead going awh you'll having nothing your wasting your time you know nothing about me. Also I do agree with waiting for the cpu to be less useful I'm just starting to make a plan out seeing 2018 is close than it looks.

i have a 2600k and i'm going to wait until a smaller manufacturing process and until motherboards with pcie 4.0 come out. With how long CPUs can last nowadays, i think compatibility with future hardware is very important when it comes to deciding when to upgrade. A new high end CPU could feasibly last you 10 years, so waiting until pcie 4.0 makes sense imo.

Go with tiger lake. Might want to wait for lion lake or cheetah lake

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Go with tiger lake. Might want to wait for lion lake or cheetah lake

Bear lake, oh my!

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

wait until they move off of silicon for the manufacturing process. Everyone knows thats what really is holding progress back... Won't be a significant upgrade until after that.

1 hour ago, lonewolf2887 said:

I'm just thinking ahead also read properly I said half way through 2018 or early 2019 it depends on perfomance improvement knightslugger you've given no postive advice just complaints about thinking ahead going awh you'll having nothing your wasting your time you know nothing about me. Also I do agree with waiting for the cpu to be less useful I'm just starting to make a plan out seeing 2018 is close than it looks.

perf. improvements have only been incremental so far. believe me, it's not going to be a make or break a decision. anything relevant today will be relevant next year, or early 2019. how do i know this? experience. a 4790k is just as good of a gaming processor as a 6700k or a 7700k is.

I'm not really sure what you're after anymore. validation for waiting? you want to be fed an answer you like? Sorry, not gonna happen with me. In 2019, you will have the opportunity to buy the latest generation of CPUs and GPUs available. I guarantee it. I also guarantee that you will be paying more for it and that it will be incremental at best. Every single year CPUs and GPUs and MBs get more and more expensive.

So what do you want to hear from us? I'm genuinely curious now...

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

You have a perfectly good 7700K right, do you really need another upgrade so soon(2018/19)? As for your question, you will have to wait until it is out. I would personally advise that you stick to your 7700 until you really need an upgrade. That processor will last quite a while until it needs to be replaced. 2018 heck even 2019 might be too soon for an upgrade. You will not be getting considerable gains like we used to get with each generation before. Don't worry about what to get in future now. Wait it out. There is no use speculating about it.

1 hour ago, atavax said:

i have a 2600k and i'm going to wait until a smaller manufacturing process and until motherboards with pcie 4.0 come out. With how long CPUs can last nowadays, i think compatibility with future hardware is very important when it comes to deciding when to upgrade. A new high end CPU could feasibly last you 10 years, so waiting until pcie 4.0 makes sense imo.

woah that's going to be quite a long wait. I am on a 2500K and badly in need of an upgrade - Coffee Lake or R7 (I think I will be getting the latter most  probably)

6 hours ago, lonewolf2887 said:

Unless you need additional cores, the single thread performance on Kaby-Lake is plenty for the next few years, easy.

Clearly, Intel is reacting to AMD's Zen architecture and giving people more cores across segments, so I am not anticipating massive IPC increases in the near term.

I just upgraded to Ryzen, and the only upgrades I am looking to in the near term are more HDD space and a new video card.

What drove my upgrade from my i5 3570 OC'ed was the fact that it simply couldn't perform for the workloads I needed it to.

That is literally the only TRUE driver to upgrade IMO.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

I don't think your 7700K is going to be obsolete in 2 year. It'll most likely last you even more than 4 years. Unless using more CPU cores in games becomes a trend or the next gen graphics completely bottleneck the CPU at 4K 144Hz, there might not even be a reason to upgrade. Of course, that doesn't mean 6 cores, 8 cores and etc... don't have their place in this market. They are great for multitasking, rendering and blabla. But IPC improvement on Intel will likely to be marginal with the trend we're seeing right now and I don't expect a huge jump for Zen2 (maybe ~30% since Ryzen was a worse case scenario). So, the trend will most likely be more cores for the mainstream consumer and more refinement on the platform.

If your hardware is performing to what you want, there's no real reason to think about upgrading. Unless you have money to spend because why not.

However, it's important to establish some reasonable baselines as a requirement. Saying "I want it to work as fast as possible" is not a baseline. Saying "I want it to perform at least 60FPS on maximum settings at 1080p" is a baseline.

I know the I7 7700k has good few years left I'm planning this cause I'm gonna either upgrade or turn the current pc into back or etc only reason I wanted opinion was to get early start.Or last option I'll give the current one as gift to my twin or relative/etc.

12 hours ago, Ezilkannan said:

woah that's going to be quite a long wait. I am on a 2500K and badly in need of an upgrade - Coffee Lake or R7 (I think I will be getting the latter most  probably)

You think? i thought pcie 4.0 was supposed to come out 2018, so around the same time we would see 7nm Ryzen CPUs

I'm lucky in that games are starting to take advantage of the extra threads of i7s. While my 2600k is old, overclocked it still trades blows with an overclocked 7600k in gaming benchmarks. So upgrading my 2600k is like upgrading a 7600k. So its pretty impossible to justify upgrading at this point.

3 hours ago, atavax said:

You think? i thought pcie 4.0 was supposed to come out 2018, so around the same time we would see 7nm Ryzen CPUs

I'm lucky in that games are starting to take advantage of the extra threads of i7s. While my 2600k is old, overclocked it still trades blows with an overclocked 7600k in gaming benchmarks. So upgrading my 2600k is like upgrading a 7600k. So its pretty impossible to justify upgrading at this point.

I wonder how many GPUs out there that can actually fully utilize PCIe 3.0 that the PCI slot is a bottleneck. Heck I see many people still on 2.0 slots doing just fine. So waiting for 2018 solely for PCIe 4.0, I don't know if its really worth it. And we are not 100% confident it will come out in 2018. Zen 2 perhaps late 2018, but we are still speculating here. I wasted an year waiting for Vega, so I cannot wait another year now. I will get the R7 or Coffee Lake (if its vastly superior and at a reasonable price, which I doubt it will). Then I will upgrade after maybe 4 or 5 years by which time we should see a node shrink on GPU front as well. My 2500k is struggling with new titles so I don't have a choice but to upgrade. If you can hold out, sure wait it out (it might be longer than you think). Also depends on what GPU you are using. The 2500k will severely bottleneck my 1080Ti.

My personal advise, if you have severely bottlenecked/poorly performing part and you don't have any upcoming launches not less than 3-4 months away, just get the best that you can get now. You will not regret it.

Skip Intel and join the amd master race 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016