How to get OSX or W10 on HDD

Walt

Hi everyone,

I just got an old macbook pro 2006. The hdd that was in their started ticking when booting so I concluded it's dead. When I put in a new HDD and try to boot in recovery mode (command + r) it doesnt boot. I get a grey screen. Then I thought maybe put windows 10 on it. I made a installer with bootcamp on another mac and try booting on the laptop with option (alt) pressed. But I got the grey screen again... 

I was wondering what to do now. I am thinking about putting windows 10, Linux or OSX on HDD that I after the installation put it in the laptop. But how do I do this?

BTW: I know it can't be another problem because when I put a hdd with windows 7 in there it's booting normally (But I can't use it because it's from another laptop)

Thanks!

My own build: RΛZΞR theme

CPU: Intel Core i5 7600K // CPU cooler: Cryorig H7 // Motherboard: MSI Z270 gaming pro carbon //       

Video Card: MSI Armor gtx 1070 OC 8GB // RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3200MHz //  

SSD: Samsung EVO 960 500GB // HDD: 2x WD yellow edition 2TB //

Case: NZXT H440 RAZER edition // Power Supply: Corsair RM550x //         

Operating Software: Windows 10 pro 64-bit

linux wouldnt be hard to get on but might not support apps that you need i dont know what you do. try booting w10 off a disk awhile its in the macbook maybe?

I dont think you can even boot in recovery mode after putting a new hdd. The recovery partition is on the old hard drive. The new hdd is blank and doesnt have anything on it. 

Only thing you can do with the new hdd is install a fresh copy of osx or windows (with a product key). 

Unless you clone the old hdd to the new one. 

Rig

Spoiler

CPU: 4770k @ 4.2GHz 1.15v | Mobo: ASUS z87 Sabertooth | Cooler: Corsair H110 | RAM: Vengeance 32GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz | GPU: GIGABYTE G1 GTX 1070 | Storage: Samsung 840 series 250GB SSD, Seagate 2TB SSHD, Seagate 4.25TB HDD | PSU: Corsair AX850 80+ gold modu | Case: Corsair 650d | Keyboard: Corsair K65 RGB Cherry MX Reds & a Leopold 210TP Numberpad Cherry MX Blues | Mouse: Logitech G502, DECHANIC desk mat | Monitor: 2x Dell IPS 23" S2340m & ASUS 144hz 24" VG248QE | Speakers: CA-3602a | Headset: Steelseries Syberia v2 Frost Blue OS: Win 10 Pro 

So just making sure, you have the new hard drive in and install media, hold down alt, then press power while holding alt, and it's still a grey screen? Is it the grey screen with a question mark folder on it?  The boot menu should be through EFI, so it shouldn't be locked to the hard drive. Try the other alt key, or an external keyboard to make 100% sure that it's working.

3 minutes ago, dcx said:

So just making sure, you have the new hard drive in and install media, hold down alt, then press power while holding alt, and it's still a grey screen? Is it the grey screen with a question mark folder on it?  The boot menu should be through EFI, so it shouldn't be locked to the hard drive. Try the other alt key, or an external keyboard to make 100% sure that it's working.

Yea that's the problem I still get a grey screen... Do I need to reset the EFI or something on the motherboard maybe?

CPU: Intel Core i5 7600K // CPU cooler: Cryorig H7 // Motherboard: MSI Z270 gaming pro carbon //       

1 minute ago, Walt said:

Yea that's the problem I still get a grey screen... Do I need to reset the EFI or something on the motherboard maybe?

Try resetting the NVRAM. Hold CMD+ALT+P+R at bootup until you hear a second chime. Or just hold it for a decent period of time.

On 21-9-2017 at 9:31 PM, dcx said:

Try resetting the NVRAM. Hold CMD+ALT+P+R at bootup until you hear a second chime. Or just hold it for a decent period of time.

Did not work unfortunately :(