Best horror movies for halloween

captain_to_fire

I know it's too early at the moment but what are your favorite horror movies that terrified you either as a kid or now as a grown up? I'm asking because few of my relatives in LA are coming in November and that's how I'll entertain them ^_^. To me it was The Ring and Shutter back then. I watched The Conjuring with my sister and my cousin in the mall's last full show and it just makes you shout because of the sound effects but nothing scary. I think The Exorcist is more scary than The Exorcism of Emily Rose but those just bounce off of me at the moment...

...I think the reason why I'm no longer scared of horror movies is because I'm an atheist now and I simply lack the belief about heaven or hell. Please I'm not starting a religious debate. I just want to ask about horror films. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Gotta be good ol' Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday 13th however honourable mentions go to Hellraiser and Poltergeist too.

The late 70s early 80s was the best period for horror imo.

For modern stuff there's a not very well known horror called Urban Legend that I liked at lot and I hear Cabin In The Woods is really good (though I haven't seen it myself).

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Army of Dakrness, Mars Attacks, Martians =) 

not only horror but fun as well... 

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

1 minute ago, wcreek said:

The Scary Movie Series

Well #1, #3 & #4, avoid #2 at all costs.

(I always forget about #4 lol)

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Gotta be good ol' Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday 13th however honourable mentions go to Hellraiser and Poltergeist too.

Are those available on Netflix? I can access US Netflix with a VPN though 

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Well #1, #3 & #4, avoid #2 at all costs.

(I always forget about #4 lol)

Which one has Michael Jackson alive as well as Simon Cowell? 

I found Dark Water (2002) more creepy and a bit scary compared to Ringu : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0308379/

I think there's some Hollywood remake of this movie but... fuck that.

I have some vague memory about Spiral (2007) as well but I'm not sure I found it scary back them, more like creepy and weird  ( basically "the inhabitants of a small Japanese town become increasingly obsessed with and tormented by spirals." ) : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0244870/

And if you want something newer, you should check out  Tag (2015) ... lots of deaths decapitations blood etc almost comedy : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4439120/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Oh and there's also the Raw (2017) movie... can't say it's much of a horror but there's a bit of suspense and strangeness

The Exorcist will always be terrifying to me.

You could always try The Ninth Gate. Not so much scary as it is creepy.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

43 minutes ago, Volbet said:
  • -snip-

Thanks for that

1 hour ago, Trik'Stari said:

The Exorcist will always be terrifying to me.

You could always try The Ninth Gate. Not so much scary as it is creepy.

I think the The Exorcist is scarier than Exorcism of Emily Rose back when I was in high school

7 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

Thanks for that

I think the The Exorcist is scarier than Exorcism of Emily Rose back when I was in high school

The Exorcist is the only scary movie I've ever watched that actually fucking scared me as an adult.

As for when I was a child.....Mars Attacks. Those things fucking terrified me, but I was like 10.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I'd recommend the entire American Horror Story (s1-s6) and Pet Sematary.

The Alien seires and the Predator series. Otherwise I play horror or zombie games.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

Woah that's a bit extreme even for Halloween.

But when if not on Halloween?

Strangely, my only caveat about recommending anything from the Guinea Pig Saga was the availability of the various entries. 

I'm not sure if the DVD versions are still available for purchasing anywhere or if any of them are available for streaming or renting. 

One more recommendation would be The Poughkeepsie Tapes.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

19 hours ago, Volbet said:

But when if not on Halloween?

Strangely, my only caveat about recommending anything from the Guinea Pig Saga was the availability of the various entries. 

I'm not sure if the DVD versions are still available for purchasing anywhere or if any of them are available for streaming or renting. 

One more recommendation would be The Poughkeepsie Tapes.

I wonder how many horror films have you watched because you seem to know a lot but with that I'm thankful. ?

5 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I wonder how many horror films have you watched because you seem to know a lot but with that I'm thankful. ?

I have watched way too many. I enjoy movies quite a lot, and I've always had a soft spot for horror and slasher movies.

I probably have my father to thank for that.

Also, and I can't believe I forgot this one, The Texas Chain Saw Massacre.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

I can't believe the topic of Halloween horrors came up and no one mentioned Halloween until the day after.

Shame on us.

My picks & favourites would be:

House of 1000 Corpses

The Devil's Rejects

Tusk

Friday the 13th Parts 1-4

Friday the 13th (2009)

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

The Shining

Dale & Tucker vs Evil

The Cabin in The Woods

The Evil Dead

Dawn of the Dead (2004)

Wolf Creek

The Machinist

Nightcrawler

Pan's Labyrinth

It's been a long time since I watched any horrors/thrillers, I just don't have the time any more due to work & life. But there's some great ones out there. What's more sad is I have something like 150+ blu-rays, just sitting there not getting used.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14