4gb vs 8gb for mining?

For mining Bitcoin or Monero should I get RX 480 that have 4gb or 8gb of GDDR5? Is RX 480/580 still the best cards to use for it?

For mining bitcoin dont get a card and idk about monero

Ethereum needs a card. Bitcoin is far better mined with ASIC machines

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 minute ago, Abyss Gaming said:

For mining bitcoin dont get a card and idk about monero

Do you know any good currencies that are good to mine with cards?

Just now, Jurrunio said:

Ethereum needs a card. Bitcoin is far better mined with ASIC cards.

Doesn't Etherium prefer nVIDIA cards?

Just now, Okjoek said:

Do you know any good currencies that are good to mine with cards?

None tbh. IF you really wanted to get into it ethereum is the best, but I wouldnt at all

Just now, Okjoek said:

AMD*

3 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

Most likely Nvidia is just popular for miners because of their peak performance over the AMD models at the time that Etherium exploded. 

Zcash isn't terrible to mine with gpu's

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools - Douglas Adams

56 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

In terms of mining power efficiency the 1070 is pretty much king on the Nvidia end, and the RX 580 for the AMD side. Price to performance, RX 580 takes it. Vega is currently on top for raw performance.

Radeon-RX-Vega-Blockchain-Driver-Ethereum-Hashrate.png (600×578)

2 hours ago, Stagea said:

In terms of mining power efficiency the 1070 is pretty much king on the Nvidia end, and the RX 580 for the AMD side. Price to performance, RX 580 takes it. Vega is currently on top for raw performance.

It's worth noting it might not take much tweaking to do considerably better than these results either.  I got my Fury to 32.8 MH/s

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

14 hours ago, Abyss Gaming said:

None tbh. IF you really wanted to get into it ethereum is the best, but I wouldnt at all

Yeah, I'd be willing to Mine Ethereum. From what I'm reading it's ASIC-resistant and I don't really know much about ASIC.

I was just watching This video by Jerry and it kind of inspired me. Winter is coming here in NY *lol* and I thought maybe It'd help diversify my income as well as help with seasonal heating.

We're currently mining Monero, but Etherium looks fine to me as well. I was thinking two Ryzen 71700  systems with 6 RX 4/580 each.

Would that be an ideal system for mining Ethereum? After that is there any RAM preference for this mining workload I should know about? System RAM? VRAM?

9 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

Yeah, I'd be willing to Mine Ethereum. From what I'm reading it's ASIC-resistant and I don't really know much about ASIC.

I was just watching This video by Jerry and it kind of inspired me. Winter is coming here in NY *lol* and I thought maybe It'd help diversify my income as well as help with seasonal heating.

We're currently mining Monero, but Etherium looks fine to me as well. I was thinking two Ryzen 71700  systems with 6 RX 4/580 each.

Would that be an ideal system for mining Ethereum? After that is there any RAM preference for this mining workload I should know about? System RAM? VRAM?

I don't think there's any ram preferences. And forining you can get away with much less than a 1700 since it exclusively uses the gpu. And the thing about ny is electric costs a ton (I'm on li)

1 minute ago, Abyss Gaming said:

I don't think there's any ram preferences. And forining you can get away with much less than a 1700 since it exclusively uses the gpu. And the thing about ny is electric costs a ton (I'm on li)

Yeah it's not that cheap here that's true. I have heard that it's cheaper out west like Oregon/Washington though and honestly I've always wanted to move to the Pacific NW. 

I digress though. Do you think it's so expensive here in NY that it would be completely unprofitable? Quite frankly I dunno how to decipher the power bills we get and something tells me the power company likes it that way.

So you're saying Etherium doesn't mine well from CPU? On Monero my Brother's R7 1700 has a higher Hashrate than my RX 460 GPU.

1 minute ago, Okjoek said:

Yeah it's not that cheap here that's true. I have heard that it's cheaper out west like Oregon/Washington though and honestly I've always wanted to move to the Pacific NW. 

I digress though. Do you think it's so expensive here in NY that it would be completely unprofitable? Quite frankly I dunno how to decipher the power bills we get and something tells me the power company likes it that way.

So you're saying Etherium doesn't mine well from CPU? On Monero my Brother's R7 1700 has a higher Hashrate than my RX 460 GPU.

I don't know much about cpu mining but iirc it's not great on ether. Look up a mining calculator and see how long recouping money will take

7 hours ago, Abyss Gaming said:

I don't think there's any ram preferences. 

There isn't but VRAM does matter, both for speed and quantity.  4 GB will soon not be enough for Ethereum

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

There isn't but VRAM does matter, both for speed and quantity.  4 GB will soon not be enough for Ethereum

How does that work that a certain # of VRAM becomes obsolete? 

I know lots hate mining, but I really don't want to work more than part-time. I also don't like having all my assets locked into the USD because of the unpredictability as well as having all my eggs in one basket. Crypto-currency mining means I could accumulate a non USD currency without having to deal with another country. I mean ofc Cryptos aren't predictable either, but atleast I have options.

Just now, Okjoek said:

How does that work that a certain # of VRAM becomes obsolete? 

I know lots hate mining, but I really don't want to work more than part-time. I also don't like having all my assets locked into the USD because of the unpredictability as well as having all my eggs in one basket. Crypto-currency mining means I could accumulate a non USD currency without having to deal with another country.

Because over time, what the card must keep in memory in order to do the calculations grows 

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Because over time, what the card must keep in memory in order to do the calculations grows 

Okay, got it. To mine long term invest in 8+GB cards.