Which Ryzen CPU generally beats the i7-6700K at gaming?

Looking to upgrade my i7-6700K.

The new Intel CPUs are simply too expensive.

I'm looking into Ryzen CPUs.

I game, edit video, frequently extract compressed files etc.

I know most Ryzen CPUs beat the i7-6700K when it comes to editing videos, extracting compressed files etc.

So the Ryzen CPU would need to at least match the i7-6700K in gaming.

Which Ryzen CPU equals or beats the i7-6700K in gaming?

eb_ryzen6700k-2.png.4e2d7f6ff89ac87eb693712be0c63d17.png

No Ryzen CPU beats the i7-6700K in gaming. The reason why the Ryzen CPUs do well against the Intel CPUs in those workloads is because it's better in highly multithreaded tasks due to the extra cores and threads.

I'd get a R7 1700. You might encounter a performance drop in terms of gaming but it isn't going to be a drastic one.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Gaming wise they will not beat the IPC of skylake. Switching to Ryzen is going to require you to sacrifice gaming performance for video editing tc

None, 6700k and 7700k are kings for gaming, 1800X gets the closest, but 1600 is the best option for bang for buck.

That's embarrassing for AMD, then.

I'll stick with the i7-6700K until the i7-8800K drops to around £300, then.

4 minutes ago, kingmustard said:

These guys make it seem like OMG RYZEN GETS 1 FPS IN GAMES, but generally if you are higher than 640p, which these guys test at, you are not going to see a difference. I have a 4k monitor, because video editing and photo editing and designing is my job, so I play in 4k, and in 4k there is no difference in processors, but GPUs. 

None. The clock barrier and CCX latency on Ryzen prevents it from achieving the performance of the SYL and KBL chips.

9 minutes ago, Almostbauws said:

These guys make it seem like OMG RYZEN GETS 1 FPS IN GAMES, but generally if you are higher than 640p, which these guys test at

Who is testing 640?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

None, but if you're going to do video editing and anything else besides gaming, a r5 1600 or r7 1700 if you have the money will do you the best, at least for now.

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

In recent games the difference are getting narrower.

Only 2-5% slower, it is always in the top 5 for a reason.

Spoiler

dsdadad.PNG.468b459c2401e577630b31e926a46289.PNG

From 2 days ago.

I have a 6700K that I use for gaming and 3D rendering, I still think it is too early to upgrade.

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

if you can get a r5 1600 or r7 to run 4000mhz ram it will be very close if not on par in gaming with intel as teh faster the ram the closer the gap becomes also if you just get very lucky or do not care about frying your chip and overclock it past the 4ghz barrier yes a few get 4.1 but it is very rare something like 4.3-4.5ghz tho would get it very close if i had to guess but good luck getting that with out ln2. amd is suppose to be working on zen2 tho supposedly higher clocks and better ipc but if they just added a very good memory controller allowing ryzen to get 4000+mhz it would be there and only a big difference at 1080p 1440p it comes very close and 4k almost no difference.

I've seen too many contradictory benchmarks to say SL/KL are kings, I would say it depends if the game uses more then 4 cores, in which case even a Ryzen 1600 will close the gap and possibly overtake them. As said above they are getting closer and closer with BIOS upgrades and faster memory. Also everyone seems to gloss over the fact that most benchmarks show SL @4.7ghz+ and KL @5ghz against a Ryzen @4ghz or less... not only IPC at work here, 1ghz makes a hell of a diffference in gaming.

But all this "talk" is moot if you use a 60hz monitor, even my 5yo FX-8370 @4.5ghz has no issues keeping up if coupled with a 980ti/1070+.

Ryzen 3800x 4.4ghz 1.294v all core Noctua NH-D15 x570 Aorus Elite 16gb G.Skill Flare X 3600mhz 15-15-15-30 1T

XFX 5700 XT Thicc III Ultra Seasonic Focus+ 650w Platinum

5 hours ago, kingmustard said:

On average , it's only a couple percent slower in games. It's at a point where it doesn't actually matter much imo . That's assuming you're not gpu limited of course.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case