FX processor losing overclockabilty?

My girlfriends rig has a FX-8320E processor that I had at one point overclocked to 4.8GHz @ 1.41V.

It was a little unstable at these settings so I pulled it back to 4.6@1.38V which was rock solid for about a year and a half. I then gave the system to my girlfriend. She had a lesser cooler so I was only able to get it to 4.4GHz@1.38V.

That has been stable fkr a long time but. It is now becomming unstable.

It dies seeming randomly but the blue screens are becoming more frequent.

The error she is getting is "thread exception not handled" which from my experiance is overclock related.

Am I correct in assuming this cpu is losing its overclockablity?

Yes CPUs degrade over time and their overclocks can also become unstable over time.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, fastcar123 said:

Yeah , go figure when you run components way out of spec they don't last as long. This has been the way of overclocking since the dawn of overclocking.

You sacrifice lifespan for speed. Either the cpu/board/power supply has had enough.

17 minutes ago, fastcar123 said:

My girlfriends rig has a FX-8320E processor that I had at one point overclocked to 4.8GHz @ 1.41V.

It was a little unstable at these settings so I pulled it back to 4.6@1.38V which was rock solid for about a year and a half. I then gave the system to my girlfriend. She had a lesser cooler so I was only able to get it to 4.4GHz@1.38V.

That has been stable fkr a long time but. It is now becomming unstable.

It dies seeming randomly but the blue screens are becoming more frequent.

The error she is getting is "thread exception not handled" which from my experiance is overclock related.

Over clocking can degrade the cpu but to be sure first thing I would do is just reapply the thermal paste and see if that helps with thermals and overclocking.

if it is not the thermal paste It is probably you pushed it to hard and it starting to come down.

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

For a reply please quote or  @Eduard the weeb me :D

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

13 minutes ago, emosun said:

Yeah , go figure when you run components way out of spec they don't last as long. This has been the way of overclocking since the dawn of overclocking.

You sacrifice lifespan for speed. Either the cpu/board/power supply has had enough.

Like my x5650 running at 5ghz, if i run it for more than 30 minutes under load i get a blue screen xD, its weird though, its more likely to bluescreen if its doing nothing, ill let it sit for 10 minutes doing nothing, blue screen, if i play a video for 10 hours during those 10 hours its fine.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

3 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

its more likely to bluescreen if its doing nothing, ill let it sit for 10 minutes doing nothing, blue screen, if i play a video for 10 hours during those 10 hours its fine.

I had an r9 290 that would do this. idle at desktop it would crash , but gamming it was fine.

I think it can be attributed to the cpu being so busy that it skips over a lot of errors that it might otherwise try to resolve.

19 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Yes CPUs degrade over time and their overclocks can also become unstable over time.

19 minutes ago, emosun said:

Yea that's what I figured just wanted to get a second opinion.

I actually do have an extra psu that I can use ( the one thats currently installed is way too close for comfort anyway)

Ill try that.

8 minutes ago, Eduard the weeb said:

Over clocking can degrade the cpu but to be sure first thing I would do is just reapply the thermal paste and see if that helps with thermals and overclocking.

if it is not the thermal paste It is probably you pushed it to hard and it starting to come down.

Ill try that too. I never thought about the thermal paste. Thank you.

8 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

Like my x5650 running at 5ghz, if i run it for more than 30 minutes under load i get a blue screen xD, its weird though, its more likely to bluescreen if its doing nothing, ill let it sit for 10 minutes doing nothing, blue screen, if i play a video for 10 hours during those 10 hours its fine.

4 minutes ago, emosun said:

I had an r9 290 that would do this. idle at desktop it would crash , but gamming it was fine.

I think it can be attributed to the cpu being so busy that it skips over a lot of errors that it might otherwise try to resolve.

This is exactly what its doing. Only instead of idle its light load like streaming Pandora or something.

Just now, fastcar123 said:

Yea that's what I figured just wanted to get a second opinion.

I actually do have an extra psu that I can use ( the one thats currently installed is way too close for comfort anyway)

Ill try that.

Ill try that too. I never thought about the thermal paste. Thank you.

This is exactly what its doing. Only instead of idle its light load like streaming Pandora or something.

may also wanna clean out your pc 

Ex frequent user here, still check in here occasionally. I stopped being a weeb in 2018 lol

Xayah Main in Lol, trying to learn Drums and guitar. Know how to film do photography, can do basic video editing

well that's probably a lot worse than the opposite.

It's more than likely the cpu or board and less likely the power supply. The board and cpu are what is being run beyond their ability and not the power supply.

Just now, Eduard the weeb said:

may also wanna clean out your pc 

I actually blow both mine and hers out with a compressor once a month or so

1 minute ago, emosun said:

well that's probably a lot worse than the opposite.

It's more than likely the cpu or board and less likely the power supply. The board and cpu are what is being run beyond their ability and not the power supply.

Well I mention that because its a 400w pay with no 80+ rating that can draw 450w from the wall. (Really old psu)

I actually blow both mine and hers out with a compressor once a month or so

the video is more about closing background tasks and deleting unused things so your cpu and gpu run faster but that is good so it probably is board or cpu if things get really bad sell her computer give her yours and build a new one for yourself.

1 minute ago, Eduard the weeb said:

the video is more about closing background tasks and deleting unused things so your cpu and gpu run faster but that is good so it probably is board or cpu if things get really bad sell her computer give her yours and build a new one for yourself.

Lol this is what always end up doing. Unfortunately for me anyway, my pc is pretty intense for what I need. Anything more would simply be redundant.

I was thinking of maybe building a ryzen 3 system for her. Money tho...

overclocking doesnt degrade the CPU, this is an old myth that has its merits but for the most part isnt true. What happened in the past was people used to push the voltage too high that it starts to disintegrate the transistors in the CPU.

The problem you have is that your gf is using a lesser cooler, and many CPUs dont perform well electrically at higher temperatures. When overclocking anything especially AMD i see a trend where the higher the CPU temperature the less stable it is. To put it into practical terms, you can maintain a certain clock at a certain voltage below 60C, but when it reaches 80C it wont be able to. The more cores a processor has the more temperature effects its overclockability (why intel mainstream overclocks better than extreme and amd). Thats why many recommend to run AMD at lower temps than intel.

Also the hotter a CPU is the more power it pulls and board VRMs get less stable the amps they have to pull, so this also effects overclockability.

CPU is absolutely fine, it just has to run cooler to maintain those clocks and voltages. Hence why people use ln2

Lol this is what always end up doing. Unfortunately for me anyway, my pc is pretty intense for what I need. Anything more would simply be redundant.

I was thinking of maybe building a ryzen 3 system for her. Money tho...

yeah there are a few build guides on sub 500 dollar ryzen pcs that are pretty good and you can keep the keyboard, mouse, and monitor for her.

yeah there are a few build guides on sub 500 dollar ryzen pcs that are pretty good and you can keep the keyboard, mouse, and monitor for her.

Yea I really only need a motherboard ram and cpu.  And probably a cooler.

Probably going to try to make the FX system work a little bit longer

and the case. you can also keep SSD & HDD.

20 minutes ago, emosun said:

It only happens with one game, rainbow six, even on bf1, dx12 mode it doesnt crash.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

Just now, emosun said:

in the same way that driving faster doesn't use more gas :\

quite true theoratically, its all about the energy you use and waste. Practically you have aerodynamics, friction with air and ground and the engine to consider. Aerodynamics can help reduce friction on both air and ground so less energy is wasted at faster speeds.

Some cars are designed with aerodynamics so only work at either slow or fast speeds but not in between when it comes to grip, turning and so on.

7 minutes ago, System Error Message said:

quite true theoratically, its all about the energy you use and waste. Practically you have aerodynamics, friction with air and ground and the engine to consider. Aerodynamics can help reduce friction on both air and ground so less energy is wasted at faster speeds.

Some cars are designed with aerodynamics so only work at either slow or fast speeds but not in between when it comes to grip, turning and so on.

I hate when people who know less than you try to school you as if they know more. 

Just now, emosun said:

I hate when people who know less than you try to school you as if they know more. 

Put it this way with cars, the engine works most efficient at a specific speed and specific gear and revs, its different from all cars. Going faster uses more fuel, not quite as efficient but still doesnt use much more than at the same speed. You also have to consider the time it takes to get from one place to another at different speeds resulting in different fuel use.

With CPUs however there is a safe voltage range. Exceed that and CPUs will start to degrade. Within the safe voltage range the life expectancy of the CPU is about 10 years even for consumer. I strongly suggest you let the OP improve cooling to test my point first as from experience cooling does play a big role as even 10C can make a difference (it really does in power use too).

I use and monitor many different architectures, this is a common thing i noticed among them.

16 minutes ago, System Error Message said:

overclocking doesnt degrade the CPU, this is an old myth that has its merits but for the most part isnt true. What happened in the past was people used to push the voltage too high that it starts to disintegrate the transistors in the CPU.

The problem you have is that your gf is using a lesser cooler, and many CPUs dont perform well electrically at higher temperatures. When overclocking anything especially AMD i see a trend where the higher the CPU temperature the less stable it is. To put it into practical terms, you can maintain a certain clock at a certain voltage below 60C, but when it reaches 80C it wont be able to. The more cores a processor has the more temperature effects its overclockability (why intel mainstream overclocks better than extreme and amd). Thats why many recommend to run AMD at lower temps than intel.

Also the hotter a CPU is the more power it pulls and board VRMs get less stable the amps they have to pull, so this also effects overclockability.

CPU is absolutely fine, it just has to run cooler to maintain those clocks and voltages. Hence why people use ln2

I do want to look into getting her a new cooler. One that is better. If nothing else the flow is all wrong. It blows up towars the top but there's no vent there.

29 minutes ago, System Error Message said:

Put it this way with cars, the engine works most efficient at a specific speed and specific gear and revs, its different from all cars. Going faster uses more fuel, not quite as efficient but still doesnt use much more than at the same speed. You also have to consider the time it takes to get from one place to another at different speeds resulting in different fuel use.

With CPUs however there is a safe voltage range. Exceed that and CPUs will start to degrade. Within the safe voltage range the life expectancy of the CPU is about 10 years even for consumer. I strongly suggest you let the OP improve cooling to test my point first as from experience cooling does play a big role as even 10C can make a difference (it really does in power use too).

I use and monitor many different architectures, this is a common thing i noticed among them.

again , people who know less than you try to school you as if they know more. like my grandpa trying to teach me how facebook works

1 minute ago, emosun said:

again , people who know less than you try to school you as if they know more. like my grandpa trying to teach me how facebook works

ah i see what you're saying, it doesnt help that the kind of people who post on this forum either. The advice and jealousy around here is terrible.