led backlit psu cover?

striker477

I built a psu cover for my desktop out of acrylic and I was thinking of using vinyl to mask off a design. Then I would paint it and pull the vinyl to leave that portion clear. but if I stick a led stip right behind it I'm afraid I will have a big hot spot. So I thought about sticking a smaller piece of acrylic behind it to hopefully reflect the light more but I'm unsure if that would work how I want. Hopefully someone has more modding experience than me and could explain the best way to go about achieving the desired look like what is in this image. 

MPrXyah.jpg

I'm not sure the heat will be much of an issue. My WS2812 LED strips don't get that hot, even in a location similar to what you would be doing.

The LED strip you are using may be different however. I would recommend trying it without the extra piece of acrylic first.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

1 hour ago, unknownmiscreant said:

I'm not sure the heat will be much of an issue. My WS2812 LED strips don't get that hot, even in a location similar to what you would be doing.

The LED strip you are using may be different however. I would recommend trying it without the extra piece of acrylic first.

I don't really see a led strip getting that hot. What I'm trying to say is I'm concerned about the concentration of light not being spread out evenly and would be visibly noticeable. 

53 minutes ago, striker477 said:

I don't really see a led strip getting that hot. What I'm trying to say is I'm concerned about the concentration of light not being spread out evenly and would be visibly noticeable. 

Oh, sorry. i took "hot spot" to mean heat issues. 

Having the strip right behind will certainly cause a bright patch.

Try find some diffusing material. Old LCD monitors can be quite good sources of this sort of thing. Placing a sheet of that between the LED and the acrylic should help. However some spacing between the PSU and acrylic will help the most.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

Try find some diffusing material

So I thought about sticking a smaller piece of acrylic behind it to hopefully reflect the light more but I'm unsure if that would work how I want

Sanding the plex first will diffuse it.

This guy does a pretty good job.       Jeffrey Mays

4 hours ago, Defyant said:

Sanding the plex first will diffuse it.

This guy does a pretty good job.       Jeffrey Mays

True. Didn't think of that. Just make sure to use a fairly fine grit sand-paper. Brass polisher might be a bit fine but does actually scratch up acrylic (personal experience sadly.) I'd probably go with 800-1000 grit to start with and work down if thats too fine.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

19 hours ago, striker477 said:

I built a psu cover for my desktop out of acrylic and I was thinking of using vinyl to mask off a design. Then I would paint it and pull the vinyl to leave that portion clear. but if I stick a led stip right behind it I'm afraid I will have a big hot spot. So I thought about sticking a smaller piece of acrylic behind it to hopefully reflect the light more but I'm unsure if that would work how I want. Hopefully someone has more modding experience than me and could explain the best way to go about achieving the desired look like what is in this image. 

If you want a very consistent backlight, you can edge light a sheet of frosted acrylic for the letter. That will prevent any potential for hotspots.

I was out in the shed modding and thought i'd have a qik shot!

Excuse the quality of the job.

Im kinda mixed on the result....  The light is EVEN as per OP's first question. Using a strip that runs the length of your plex sorts that.

Compared to "hard lighting" it dosnt compare. But you could say that for OEM cards as well.

More pics here    Defyant LED cover test

3-S.jpg

7-S.jpg

8-S.jpg

9-S.jpg

IMG_20170917_103649-S.jpg

IMG_20170917_103850-S.jpg

Thanks for all the help guys, that looks like it turned out pretty good. What do you mean by your mixed on the result @Defyant ?

I got to looking at your modding page by the way you have some pretty sweet looking work there. 

Cheers striker :) Thats prolly a 3rd of my portfolio :P ive just started moving it all over from extortion bucket :)

You cant get it as bright as i would like.. even to me that one you showed in your first post looks kinda "washed" out

Im working on a different type :) layered / sandwiched gpu cover for more intense light....  Did you have to have "logo" or wording on your cover or did you just want a "light effect"?

I'm curious to see the rest looks like you have been doing this for quite some time. 

Yeah, it does look kinda washed out I would like for it to be brighter but was unsure how to achieve the desired result. I was wanting to led backlight some text on the side of my psu cover 

PSU cover..... is there any room behind where the text will be? or will the plex panel sit flush against the psu?

On 9/17/2017 at 10:54 PM, Defyant said:

PSU cover..... is there any room behind where the text will be? or will the plex panel sit flush against the psu?

Sorry I have been gone on a company trip and just got back today. there will be a bit of clearance between the cover and the psu it should come out roughly 1/2"- 3/4" away from the psu. 

On 9/17/2017 at 9:55 PM, Defyant said:

Cheers striker :) Thats prolly a 3rd of my portfolio :P ive just started moving it all over from extortion bucket :)

You cant get it as bright as i would like.. even to me that one you showed in your first post looks kinda "washed" out

Im working on a different type :) layered / sandwiched gpu cover for more intense light....  Did you have to have "logo" or wording on your cover or did you just want a "light effect"?

@Defyant Did you get a chance to finish your new layered cover, if so how did it turn out? 

Heya mate :)

No just waiting to decide on a card for this next build,  Its the fans that will decide how i make it.

the idea is pretty simple i'll show you some shots that might help to explain.

The layer that sits closest to the heatsink of the gpu is custom cut. This is the new fan mounts

80-S.jpg

The the top is layered for the fans

216-S.jpg

Might get a shot at it this weekend :)

That's pretty awesome work @Defyant I'm curious if I put a layer of acrylic behind the text and put a led strip underneath it if I would achieve a similar effect or if it would be better to stick a sheet of vinyl or something behind it to reflect the light back to make it more concentrated. 

I think that's why i asked how much room you had between the cover and psu.... so i could do a test build.

You wont get the same brightness as the recent posted pics will still be like the first ones i posted

5 hours ago, striker477 said:

That's pretty awesome work @Defyant I'm curious if I put a layer of acrylic behind the text and put a led strip underneath it if I would achieve a similar effect or if it would be better to stick a sheet of vinyl or something behind it to reflect the light back to make it more concentrated. 

Concentrating the light is the key.

Check this out, using a chunk of plex some silver alloy tape the results are pretty impressive.

2-S.jpg

4-S.jpg

6-S.jpg

99%20(7)-S.jpg

Even in direct fluro lights its impressive.

99%20(8)-S.jpg

That does make a huge difference, I never thought of using silver alloy tape I will have to give that a shot thanks for all of your help.

About half way thru this work log is a step by step guide how to make diffused lighting.

enjoy.

On 10/3/2017 at 11:21 PM, Defyant said:

About half way thru this work log is a step by step guide how to make diffused lighting.

enjoy.

That looks phenomenal you definitely do some sweet looking mods, thanks for the write-up. I will have to try the same method with mine, I was hoping to have it painted by now but due to rain every day this week that isn't going to happen.