What's the Origin of the Nickname You Go By?

PlayStation 2

I've answered this before here in another thread, but Sierra is the online name I've gone by for the last 10 years or so, but since it by itself is generally taken, I add something onto the end of it, for example; Sierra Fox, because I like foxes

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Back in early 2009 I was making a female Undead character in World of Warcraft. Which are unsightly characters. Rather than coming up with some terrible name that would likely get me reported, I decided to try and come up with something a bit better. I was googling some fantasy names like goddesses and such for ideas and found something along the lines of "Vetali" (I may of altered the spelling a bit, memory is fuzzy). It was the goddess of ugly or something like that. It fit the character and it pretty much stuck since as my main online handle. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Read it on the side of a coke can 20 years ago when making my first email address.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

My nick name is Sags..... if you really wanna know why then ask (its not a complex story at all tho lol)

TechSwede. Just needed a name to make an account on this site. I was interested in tech and i live in sweden. TechSwede. 

IRL nickname. Last name is Von Damm. (Not Van. I can't do splits) Damm is Swedish for dust or a Dam. So my nicknames are "dusty" and/or "The dam." 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

I got mine because any time I play any kind of shooter game I NEED to have a full magazine of ammunition, it's practically OCD level, so I'm constantly reloading. I could shoot one round out of a 30 round magazine and I will take the time to reload every single time...

I just used some nickname generator, after entering a few presets like language and length, it gave me a bunch of results.

I looked up each result on google and other search engines to see if others were using it, no one was using this name, literally gave back 0 result. So I choose it.

These days it's no longer unique to me though. Bunch of copycats have appeared over the years.(I can only assume that they are copycats, I find it hard to believe so many people could suddenly come up with the same name, that literally didn't exist prior to me using it, years after I started using it.)

There's even a guy(of chinese origin) who started a business with the same name, 2 years after I started using this username... (My guess is that he's squatting the name, since he doesn't seems to be actually active from what the internet tells me and is operating out of a normal house)

Then some indie rock band or whatever showed up in in the last couple months with the same name...

Most results on google is still me and I don't really mind it, but I just hate the fact that the very first result on google is the instagram page of that god damn rock band, because I never made an instagram page.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

A is my first initial, Rikozu comes from my middle name and -bozu (kid, squirt, thing that has ADHD)M is my last name. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

TomTom, because my name is Thomas and I have a photographic memory when it comes to remembering directions to places I've been. 

Tyo, because Tyo Atrosa was the name of the main character of a story i was writing and also became my username.

My online name "Jurunce" originated from World of Warcraft (Vanilla days) when I had a Human Mage.

At one point, I had the "NK" moniker (which is the initials for a guild that I was once part of, but now is pretty much dead), and I have since then retired that part of the name.

Too bad I can't get a name change :(

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

1 minute ago, JurunceNK said:

Too bad I can't get a name change :(

Have you contacted one of the admins?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

On 9/14/2017 at 7:14 PM, Dan Castellaneta said:

Sorry if the title isn't very self-descriptive, really couldn't phrase it better. You can discuss your online name, your irl nickname, or whatever that counts as a nickname, really.

My IRL nickname is Jake, and to give you a little background, my name is Jacob. I don't really care which you call me but I personally go by Jake when applicable.

My online nicknames are currently Dan Castellaneta and DoctorReptar. I've described the former many times, and the latter kinda sprung out of a reinterest in Rugrats, and the character Reptar specifically.

Well, in 4th or 5th grade, I used to fall a lot. My friends began calling my "Wobbly," because of this. At first, I was against it. Soon after, however, I accepted it because I was essentially forced to do so. Anyway, now my friend's parents, teachers, and almost everybody else calls me "Wobbly." While changing my Minecraft username because I lost a bet, Wobbly, Wobblyy and Wobblyyy were all taken, so I just used Wobblyyyy. And here I am now.

At the Burger King I work at, we had some cool guys that worked there. My name originates from Red Vs Blue. Nearly every one at our store had a nick name from that. I actually had a pink shirt that said DONUT on it. Though I wore it too much. Though the guy who gave me the nickname was killed in an accident at Detroit Metro Airport, he took a job there and someone fucked up bad. But yeah, thats the origin store there. The last 4 digits are my bday. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

Though the guy who gave me the nickname was killed in an accident at Detroit Metro Airport, he took a job there and someone fucked up bad. But yeah, thats the origin store there. 

That's a hell of a twist. Beats watching most M. Night Shymalan movies.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

That's a hell of a twist. Beats watching most M. Night Shymalan movies.

Yeah.... I took his death very hard. But he was a good guy. His nick name was Church from Red Vs Blue. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

I've had this name since around mid 2008 up to now. I was watching TV while playing a game that needed a username. Me being all original picked the name "Hitch"and the rest was history.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

On 9/15/2017 at 11:57 AM, TVwazhere said:

The username was just 13 year old me being a dork. Yes TVwashere (with an S) was available at the time, and probably was available for everything I've ever signed up for except Twitter and Skype (I dont use either anyways so it didnt bother me), but as a 13 year old in 2006, spelling things with Z's, Q's and other letters that normally dont fit was cool. Since then It's kinda stuck. It's funny Because A, 99.98% of people dont realize it's my initials, some people cant read I guess so they say in voice chat "Tee-waz" or "Tee Vee Waz" instead of just saying TV (I've also just heard "was here", and also pronounced waHZ with emphasis on the a and z... People are weird)

As for my IRL nick name, it's Tom Tom.

TL;DR, i didnt want it but people made it stick and now I'm good with it

No, not because It's after the GPS's, although I'm coincidentally good with directions and remembering landmarks and locations, but I'm terrible with road names. Anyways, the nickname came up in a CAD class in 9th grade. I sorta had a knack for the software since I had fiddled with it in 6th grade, so the two kids next to me were always impressed, and being skater kids gave me some other nickname thats not relevant at all. I kinda liked it so I started using it on signatures within the project, and the teacher (Who I swear to fucking god I dont know how he got this job he was the freaking wrestling coach and didnt know one way or the other about computers let alone CAD) said in front of the whole class "What the hell is this? Why dont you get a cool nickname, Like, I dunno, uh... Tom Tom?" Maybe it was the way he said it, or the fact that he suggested it, but I rejected the idea initially and persisted on using the other nick name. Tenth grade rolls around, and two different  students who were in the same class in 9th grade who were present when meat head coach suggested the current nickname start calling me it, to which I'm less resistant but dont make a big deal about it. At some point I meet my best friend in high school, she gets wind of the nick name and since we always hung out for the rest of my high school life she would just ay "Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom Tom" in that almost annoying female voice, and it just stuck. 

Wait... not a Television? :(

12 hours ago, Tyo_Atrosa said:

TomTom, because my name is Thomas and I have a photographic memory when it comes to remembering directions to places I've been. 

Tyo, because Tyo Atrosa was the name of the main character of a story i was writing and also became my username.

Hey same!! :D 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

3 hours ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Wait... not a Television? :(

Nope!

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

I have this for like 10 years now and it comes from my first name Flo and 10 years ago everyone still said "Rofl". For some f#cked up reason i ended up with Rolf instead of Rofl though and today i appreciate whatever went wrong in the past. I even call myself "Flo Rolf" on every social media or whatever there is on the planet so my GF's mom actually thought Rolf was my lastname until we were together for over a year, lol.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Was good friends with some of the bigger kids in high school. Was gifted the name "Dildo" after finding the sex toy in question in a field once. 

After high school and during BTEC (Level 3/A level equivalent (2 years)) I got the name "Dildor" from my name on Steam and Skype. 

During my Foundation Degree years (last two years) I got the nickname "Dilly" again no idea how but the funny part was that most of the guys went by nicknames so it was alright in the end. 

For online gaming and stuff I go by DildorTheDecent. (Name not to be taken seriously).

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

The most immediate, direct reason for my nickname would be: Zorak was taken (as were many other related, simpler nicks).

The more general, more explanatory reason would be:

I went with several Nicks over the years... My first was ShortCircuit which was handed to my due to my tendencies to work on my computerstuff until I passed out =) which could be 48+ hours of work straight. I was a GFX Artist those days for some scene groups. None of the big ones though.

My current Anghammarad is my first "Stolen" one. Anghammarad is the oldest Golem in the Terry Pratchett Novel "Going Postal" which went into his atoms after getting hit with cold water after extinguishing a fire and still being on a smooth afterglow. 

Main System:

Anghammarad : Asrock Taichi x570, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @4900 MHz. 32 GB DDR4 3600, some NVME SSDs, Gainward Phoenix RTX 3070TI

System 2 "Igluna" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

System 3 "Inskah" AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX.

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System "Vio": Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5700X, 64 GB Ram DDR4 3200 Mushkin, 1 275 GB Crucial MX SSD, 1 tb Crucial MX500 SSD. IBM 5015 Megaraid, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, 4 WD RED 4 tb in another Raid 5, Gainward Phoenix GTX 1060

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN