Apple tells a judge their phones are only guaranteed to work for 365 days

Master Disaster
14 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

A tv is likely to spend it's life sitting in one spot, and is seldom moved. A phone is subjected to all kinds of forces from being carried around everywhere, and regularly subjected to hazards as dust, water, drops, pockets of keys, etc. Remind me again exactly how the two compare.

Price

I wasn't comparing them like for like obviously, or comparing the hazards they face.... and if there is physical damage to the phone then it wouldn't be covered under warranty anyway.

Are you saying you're fine with paying that much money for something and the manufacturer not giving a damn if it works after a year?

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

5 hours ago, potoooooooo said:

Apple A cpus are always the best year by year

Only recently have Apple's A series SoCs been better than Samsung or Qualcomm counterparts, and mostly in single core performance. And even then, it's more for the fact that Apple releases their new SoC months after Qualcomm and Samsung, and their SoC only has to be able to run one OS.

their camera always is the best

No, they aren't. They're different from Samsung, LG, Lumia, Sony, HTC, etc. but not better.

will lose value way faster than the iPhone.

Only for the fact that Apple maintains updates to older devices longer. Which is only due to the fact that Apple makes the drivers for the SoCs that only they use.

Pyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, paddy-stone said:

Price

I wasn't comparing them like for like obviously, or comparing the hazards they face.... and if there is physical damage to the phone then it wouldn't be covered under warranty anyway.

Are you saying you're fine with paying that much money for something and the manufacturer not giving a damn if it works after a year?

Personal opinion aside, in the US, most electronics companies offer a one year warranty on their mobile electronics. From the top of my head, Caterpillar seems to deviate from this, offering a two year warranty, though their offerings are for those working in construction (a hazardous place for any electronic device), or are particularly clumsy. Feel free to buy one of those if you want the warranty and the near-invulnerability offered.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Personal opinion aside, in the US, most electronics companies offer a one year warranty on their mobile electronics. From the top of my head, Caterpillar seems to deviate from this, offering a two year warranty, though their offerings are for those working in construction (a hazardous place for any electronic device), or are particularly clumsy. Feel free to buy one of those if you want the warranty and the near-invulnerability offered.

Nevermind, I'm not going through a pointless discussion again. I am NOT looking for recommendations for a phone, or anything.. I am just giving my opinion on this topic of apple allegedly not caring if their customers that haven't abused their phones in any way, still having the touchscreens or whatever fail shortly after warranty period. I have nothing against apple, or people that buy apple, it's their/your choice... I am just stating that for an expensive product I personally would feel that they have no confidence in their own materials or workmanship if they are like "meh, 1 year warranty is all I'll give, cos if not we might have loads of people claiming on it after a year". Price does not equal quality. But, on the other hand I would spend more on a purchase if I felt that the difference in quality/materials justified it and therefore might have more longevity.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

10 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Nevermind, I'm not going through a pointless discussion again. I am NOT looking for recommendations for a phone, or anything.. I am just giving my opinion on this topic of apple allegedly not caring if their customers that haven't abused their phones in any way, still having the touchscreens or whatever fail shortly after warranty period. I have nothing against apple, or people that buy apple, it's their/your choice... I am just stating that for an expensive product I personally would feel that they have no confidence in their own materials or workmanship if they are like "meh, 1 year warranty is all I'll give, cos if not we might have loads of people claiming on it after a year". Price does not equal quality. But, on the other hand I would spend more on a purchase if I felt that the difference in quality/materials justified it and therefore might have more longevity.

Unless you're in the EU, very few, if any mainstream smartphone manufacturers will offer anything beyond 1 year standard, though you may have the option to pay extra for an extended warranty. Applecare, for example, will extend the warranty to two years.

My opinion doesn't really matter in this. We just have to make do with what we have, or find a way to get better.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

This also means BTW that Apple doesn't expect their new $1K USD phone to last more than a year. And yet people will still buy it.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Lots of electronics have 1 year warranties.  You can also purchase extended warranties.  If you want to complain about Apple doing something shitty, look into Error 53.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

8 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Lots of electronics have 1 year warranties.  You can also purchase extended warranties.  If you want to complain about Apple doing something shitty, look into Error 53.

And how expensive are those electronics?

PMSL

1 minute ago, Dabombinable said:

And how expensive are those electronics?

Usually more expensive ones.  The cheap ones often only have a 3 month warranty.  Or a lifetime warranty if they're so cheap that they know you'll never bother to ship it pay shipping for a replacement.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

13 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Usually more expensive ones.  The cheap ones often only have a 3 month warranty.  Or a lifetime warranty if they're so cheap that they know you'll never bother to ship it pay shipping for a replacement.

Thing is, in some countries 1 year is the legal minimum, with unlimited warranty for manufacturing defects.

PMSL

2 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

This also means BTW that Apple doesn't expect their new $1K USD phone to last more than a year. And yet people will still buy it.

That's not true. I can guarantee you that you'll live to the age of 20, barring any accidents. That doesn't mean you're going to immediately drop dead at 20.

3 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

No, it means that Apple expects a defective product to fail within a year. Otherwise, they wouldn't offer extended warrantees.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, potoooooooo said:

That's not true. I can guarantee you that you'll live to the age of 20, barring any accidents. That doesn't mean you're going to immediately drop dead at 20.

If they expected the phones to last, they'd have longer warranties-at least to 3 years (under the expected life span of a lithium ion or polymer battery with normal use, but heavy use could see the life drop to 3).

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

No, it means that Apple expects a defective product to fail within a year. Otherwise, they wouldn't offer extended warrantees.

Notice how long their extended warranties take to come out? And how much denial of a defect goes on before they admit?

PMSL

4 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

No.  It means that they expect the possibility of failure, no matter how small, to increase after a year.  This isn't exclusive to iPhones either.  Pretty much all other phone manufacturers offer a 1 year limited warranty.

Every iPhone that I'm aware of has had a 1 year limited warranty.  They usually last much longer than 1 year.

On 9/15/2017 at 2:21 AM, Shreyas1 said:

Hmmm, a new iPhone comes out every year...

I wonder what that could mean?

and a new samsung S series and Note series every year... need i go on?

also other manufactures name here

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

On 9/14/2017 at 8:21 PM, Shreyas1 said:

Hmmm, a new iPhone comes out every year...

I wonder what that could mean?

Just a wild guess, but they probably don't want to be the only company that doesn't annual releases.  Every phone company has 1 year warranties.  Phones also usually last longer than 1 year.

This isn't even news.  You guys have just never noticed the standard 1 year warranties on most technology, and are trying to apply some conspiracy to it.

2 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

No.  It means that they expect the possibility of failure, no matter how small, to increase after a year.  This isn't exclusive to iPhones either.  Pretty much all other phone manufacturers offer a 1 year limited warranty.

Every iPhone that I'm aware of has had a 1 year limited warranty.  They usually last much longer than 1 year.

Funny that, because if you go and read how their lawyers worded the court statement it seems very much like Apple only expect their $1K flagship phone to work for 1 year.

I hope the courts throw the book at them for practising planned obsolescence.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Funny that, because if you go and read how their lawyers worded the court statement it seems very much like Apple only expect their $1K flagship phone to work for 1 year.

I hope the courts throw the book at them for practising planned obsolescence.

They'd have to throw a book at every other company in the world then. 9_9

7 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

They'd have to throw a book at every other company in the world then. 9_9

Not really, I mean if other companies make design faults that lead to their products dying within a short period but outside of warranty then they will usually do a product recall and repair/replace the item.

This fault has been show to be a design defect, this isn't misuse or bad treatment of phones, Apple didn't fill a gap on the PCB which cause the screen connection to come loose and eventually fail. Thats a manufacturing defect and Apple SHOULD be forced to fix it at their cost.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Not really, I mean if other companies make design faults that lead to them dying within a short period but outside of warranty then they will usually do a product recall and repair/replace the item.

There is no proof that they did this with the intention of them failing.  They're in a constant rush to create something new, and it's not the least bit surprising that they didn't predict this.  I'm not saying whether or not they should fix it.  I'm just saying that a 1 year warranty is nothing new or unexpected.  It's normal.

Look into Error 53 if you want to find out about something really shitty they've done though.

Just now, JoostinOnline said:

There is no proof that they did this with the intention of them failing.  They're in a constant rush to create something new, and it's not the least bit surprising that they didn't predict this.  I'm not saying whether or not they should fix it.  I'm just saying that a 1 year warranty is nothing new or unexpected.  It's normal.

Look into Error 53 if you want to find out about something really shitty they've done though.

Take into consideration,

1) Poorly designed/manufactured PCBs that fail within a short period

2) We only expect our phones to last a year anyway

These two things together scream planned obsolescence.

Of course it can't be proven that Apple did it deliberately, unless you were in the design meeting for the phone you will never know. Luckily in Class Action cases it doesn't have to be proven, if the judge feels that its beyond reasonable doubt that Apple designed these phones to fail then he can award in favour of the plaintiffs anyway.

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

We only expect our phones to last a year anyway

Do you have a source for that quote?

13 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Do you have a source for that quote?

OK, that was a misquote on my part... I was wrong

Correction: We only guarantee our phones to work for 1 year.

Still doesn't make it better.

Just now, Master Disaster said:

OK, that was a misquote on my part... I was wrong

Correction: We only guarantee our phones to work for 1 year.

Which is entirely different.  I repair computers, and I have a 30 day guaranty on them.

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

Which is entirely different.  I repair computers, and I have a 30 day guaranty on them.

And lets say someone came back to you after 45 days and told you that as a direct result of something you had done their computer was no longer working would you just say "Tough shit, see you again next time?" If you did you would be out of business very quickly.