Apple tells a judge their phones are only guaranteed to work for 365 days

Master Disaster

Another day, another apple hate thread. 

It was fun 1st I admit, now what? 

I've never seen any of you complain about google tracking the shit out of you? Even you are intelligent enough to use adblock? 

If apple does this, this forum is gonna blow up and start a riot. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

17 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

I can't wait for the Apple brigade to try and defend this shit.

Hmmmm, what's worse.....The apple brigade who show up to defend apple when someone goes on a senseless rant or those that go out of their way to hate on them.....

That's a toughie

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

15 hours ago, potoooooooo said:

Why? They've always had 1 year warranty on iphones. I don't think you were really ever on the apple train if a single biased and misleading headline is enough to take you off

No, something like this would be the tipping point for me. I've been getting sick of Apple for a while, with each phone conveniently becoming obsolete a year from its release, and the price of the next model refresh rising by about $100 each year. But now, seeing that they pretty much plan obsolescence, I think I'm done.

4 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

Hmmmm, what's worse.....The apple brigade who show up to defend apple when someone goes on a senseless rant or those that go out of their way to hate on them.....

That's a toughie

Where exactly did I go on a senseless rant then? Where did I go out of my way to hate on them? I reported on a legitimate news topic, nothing more.

Your post added exactly nothing to this thread so I'd say it's a case of practice what you preach.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Why would we fix your shitty phone while we can sell you a new one every year? 

:thinking:

The answer to your question is so far, yet so close. 

You can only see it if you want to see it. 

Spoiler

59bbdb4fe7ddc_ScreenShot2017-09-15at9_52_21PM.thumb.png.4c5f12f5e669ca3c14fcb8031c6cfbb1.png

I'm Jonathan Ive, the best fucking designer since Dieter Rams. I invented #minimaluminiumalism.

As much of a dick move it is to only have a 1 year warranty (would be illegal in Europe thanks to strong consumer protection laws), Apple are right. If the warranty is 1 year then they do not guarantee that it will work for more than 1 year, and neither should they be forced to.

This however just feeds my long-held theory that Apple's support that gets praised so much is actually garbage. If you buy Apple care then it might be decent or good, but you shouldn't have to buy extra warranties to begin with if something has "such amazing support".

19 hours ago, Notional said:

Silly Americans and your ****** consumer protections.

19 hours ago, Valentyn said:

Seems US really needs to get their consumer protections sorted out!

Sorry, but I don't need goobermint to step in and tell a manufacturer to give me a longer warranty.  If I want one, I can buy one myself.  There are plenty of places who offer 3rd party extended warranties.

14 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Nah, I don't want the phone to cost me  twice as much.  You think Apple is giving you 6 year warranty for free?

16 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

you can also buy apple care, if you want an extended warranty. 

Exactly.  Getting goobermint involved just leads to higher costs due to more and more regulation.

Now, if this is a systemic issue with their phones - not just a few random phones failing - then I believe Apple should be held accountable, and I hope the class action suit against Apple wins.  However, I don't agree with mandatory forced extended warranties by default.  All it does is cost us more in the long run.

7 hours ago, LeinadTM said:

No, something like this would be the tipping point for me. I've been getting sick of Apple for a while, with each phone conveniently becoming obsolete a year from its release, and the price of the next model refresh rising by about $100 each year. But now, seeing that they pretty much plan obsolescence, I think I'm done.

Lol there are still people out there using iPhone 6 and you're complaining about how they become obsolete each year? What world do you live in?

Apple doesn't plan obsolescence at all. My laptop is a 2011 macbook pro and i see similarly aged macbooks at least 5 times a day at my school. How many 6 year old windows laptops do you see people actually getting a good experience out of on a daily basis? Apple gives iphones updates for significantly longer than android manu. do, and you think that's planned obsolescence? You don't have to like apple but you're making up stupid asinine bullshit to push your irrationally hateful agenda over what, the fact that technology prices have been rising across the board lately?

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

As much of a dick move it is to only have a 1 year warranty (would be illegal in Europe thanks to strong consumer protection laws), Apple are right. If the warranty is 1 year then they do not guarantee that it will work for more than 1 year, and neither should they be forced to.

This however just feeds my long-held theory that Apple's support that gets praised so much is actually garbage. If you buy Apple care then it might be decent or good, but you shouldn't have to buy extra warranties to begin with if something has "such amazing support".

You can go to apple and even if your out of warranty or if the problem is out of warranty (like accidental damage), then you can still convince them to handle the issue for no charge. That's why I like apple support. That and I can call and talk to someone who speaks English or go to a store and talk to someone who speaks English and who dosen't just read off a script. 

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Where exactly did I go on a senseless rant then? Where did I go out of my way to hate on them? I reported on a legitimate news topic, nothing more.

Your post added exactly nothing to this thread so I'd say it's a case of practice what you preach.

You made a post bitching about Apple for honoring their 1 year warranty and then made sure to bring up the fanboyism into it. You can argue that one year warranties aren't long enough, but then that becomes an issue for a large majority of electronics and products in general in the US, and furthermore, if you're not happy with only a over year warranty, then but something else. You shouldn't be expecting more than what the company is outright telling you they offer.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, LAwLz said:

The issue here is apple specifically did not use underfill on their chips, and industry standard. It's whats causing the touch disease. it's an almost negligent manufacturing process and I think it should be covered for more than that year. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

Sorry, but I don't need goobermint to step in and tell a manufacturer to give me a longer warranty.  If I want one, I can buy one myself.  There are plenty of places who offer 3rd party extended warranties.

Exactly.  Getting goobermint involved just leads to higher costs due to more and more regulation.

Haha I get ya man! We can get Apple Care + or insurance on devices here as well. Those cover accidental damage that Consumer Laws won't.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

16 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Nah, I don't want the phone to cost me  twice as much.  You think Apple is giving you 6 year warranty for free?  Fuck no, they just roll it into the price they sell it to you for plus all your taxes and VAT and shit.

The phones don't cost double the price, and consumer law is different from warranty.

We can still get Apple Care +, or separate insurance for devices. Consumer Law covers any manufacturing defects or issues for repair and replacement for 6 years.

iPhone X is $999 in the USA

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-x

In Ireland €1179 as we have 21% VAT/Tax included in the price

https://www.apple.com/ie/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-x

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

On 14/09/2017 at 0:55 PM, Master Disaster said:

Fuck Apple and their greedy corporate ways in every possible way.

point me a phone made by a non profit organisation, or any company not in it to make money and keep its share holders happy.

3 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

You made a post bitching about Apple for honoring their 1 year warranty and then made sure to bring up the fanboyism into it. You can argue that one year warranties aren't long enough, but then that becomes an issue for a large majority of electronics and products in general in the US, and furthermore, if you're not happy with only a over year warranty, then but something else. You shouldn't be expecting more than what the company is outright telling you they offer.

So basically I did nothing you accused me of doing then?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

On 9/14/2017 at 7:23 AM, Newenthusiast said:

I guess i got lucky, i have my iphone 5 still, never skipped a beat and i don't plan on replacing it until it stops xD 

Same here with my 6 Plus, and I've dropped it a lot, even in water a few times. Even had to bend one corner back with pliers to get the screen to sit flush (but no damage to the screen, tempered glass screen protectors FTW baby!), but it keeps ticking. And for the past 6 months probably, it's been in a DBrand skin and the TG screen protector, so it's not like it's in an otterbox (it used to be, but that was too big and clunky so I got a feather case and then a skin when that broke).  

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

14 hours ago, potoooooooo said:

Lol there are still people out there using iPhone 6 and you're complaining about how they become obsolete each year? What world do you live in?

Apple doesn't plan obsolescence at all. My laptop is a 2011 macbook pro and i see similarly aged macbooks at least 5 times a day at my school. How many 6 year old windows laptops do you see people actually getting a good experience out of on a daily basis? Apple gives iphones updates for significantly longer than android manu. do, and you think that's planned obsolescence? You don't have to like apple but you're making up stupid asinine bullshit to push your irrationally hateful agenda over what, the fact that technology prices have been rising across the board lately?

I still use a 5S missing all the glass from the top corner, to the point where you can see the back of the camera. The phones just get slower and slower with each iOS update. I've been testing it for about 4 years with this phone. I have no hatred for Apple. I'm just getting sick of the premium you pay for an iPhone when you could pay less for something with better specs and a more customisable OS, such as a OnePlus or Samsung phone.

On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 8:58 PM, BuckGup said:

They stopped manufacturing of the iPhone 6 alone time ago and good luck trying to get something replaced out of warranty at any company. It sorta goes into the whole disposable tech but by 3 years you are going to buy the new iPhone so it doesn't really matter anyways. Also the price justification is a whole different story. To simply buy it because it's apple is stupid. But having justified reasons that suit you better going with Apple is a valid reason.

They actually released a new version with 32gb of storage a while back (the original had 16,64,128gb)

https://9to5mac.com/2017/05/04/32gb-iphone-6-spain

I'm sorry, but while I do think Apple should offer some extended support for lingering issues, the topic comes across as another example of Only Apple Does Bad Things syndrome.  That is, the tendency to act as if Apple is the only major company with a questionable or bad practice when it's actually common in the industry.

As a rule, all manufacturers in Apple's field only guarantee that a device will work for about a year.  That's what the warranty is.  Acting as if this is some kind of shocking, Apple-specific revelation is hilarious.  I'm reminded of the people who rage against Apple's manufacturing conditions, and promptly buy an Android phone made in similar conditions, a Windows PC made in similar conditions, an Xbox made in similar conditions...

Apple gets this scrutiny because it's both a huge company and that Anything But Apple fury that's hip on tech forums, not because it's behaving any worse than its peers.

12 hours ago, LeinadTM said:

I still use a 5S missing all the glass from the top corner, to the point where you can see the back of the camera. The phones just get slower and slower with each iOS update. I've been testing it for about 4 years with this phone. I have no hatred for Apple. I'm just getting sick of the premium you pay for an iPhone when you could pay less for something with better specs and a more customisable OS, such as a OnePlus or Samsung phone.

Here's a hot take: Old hardware doesn't run new software nearly as well as new hardware. your 5s is missing new hardware decoders and has an older CPU, things get more CPU and ram intensive as time goes on.

And no, you can't pay less and get better specs. Apple A cpus are always the best year by year, their camera always is the best, and their screen is always pretty much the second best behind samsung amoled panels. But now the X has amoled, so we'll see who's king this year. so no, you really can't get a better android phone for less. The Note 8 is 930 dollars, and will lose value way faster than the iPhone.

Sounds like a manufacturers defect

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

My take on this is, boo hoo. Your phone stopped working. These are electrical devices that will either hold up for a long time or simply diminish quickly. It's all completely random. Just like cars for example. They are all mechanical. They will eventually fail. The fact that these guys filed a lawsuit against one of the biggest companies in the world is hilarious. You get a 1 year warranty. EVERY phone salesman asks you, literally, "Would you like to extend your warranty against defects, drops, and spills?" If you say no, then you have no reason to file a lawsuit. You should have just paid the extra $10 or whatever a month.

*Insert Name* R̶y̶z̶e̶n̶ Intel Build!  https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/748542-insert-name-r̶y̶z̶e̶n̶-intel-build/

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Z270X Gaming 5 CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: ASUS STRIX OC GTX 1080 RAM: Corsair Ballistix Sport LT 2400mhz Cooler: Enermax ETS-T40F-BK PSU: Corsair CX750M SSD: PNY CS1311 120GB HDD: Seagate Momentum 2.5" 7200RPM 500GB

1 hour ago, potoooooooo said:

and their screen is always pretty much the second best behind samsung amoled panels. But now the X has amoled, so we'll see who's king this year.

According to another post, Apple gets their screens from Samsung.  I can't see them beating Samsung in the screen department when they literally source their screens from them.  They could be equal, but not superior.

That's disgusting... if a TV manufacturer did that there'd be hell to pay. I pretty much only consider TVs nowadays with a half decent warranty of like 3-5 yrs for the amount of money we pay for them. I wouldn't buy an iphone anyway, but those of you that do should be damn outraged at apple's flippant opinion on this matter, which you spend your (assuming) hard earned money on.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

24 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

That's disgusting... if a TV manufacturer did that there'd be hell to pay. I pretty much only consider TVs nowadays with a half decent warranty of like 3-5 yrs for the amount of money we pay for them. I wouldn't buy an iphone anyway, but those of you that do should be damn outraged at apple's flippant opinion on this matter, which you spend your (assuming) hard earned money on.

A tv is likely to spend it's life sitting in one spot, and is seldom moved. A phone is subjected to all kinds of forces from being carried around everywhere, and regularly subjected to hazards as dust, water, drops, pockets of keys, etc. Remind me again exactly how the two compare.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…