What will PS5/Xbox #4 be like?

These are guesses and (to some degree) wishes.  This is not a rumor leak.

Release: 2019.  (2018 is too soon with Pro/X out and I suspect the delay of the 8th gen was due to the effects of the global recession).

Form Factor: Smaller than PS4/X1 were at launch but maybe not as small as their slim versions.

Price: $449?

Processor: AMD Jaguar (8 cores clocked at 2.8 GHz)

GPU: Equivalent to a GTX 1070's benchmarks (13 million teraflops /s)

RAM: 16 GB GDDR5 (including 4GB for the OS)

Storage: 16 GB SSD for OS and apps ; 1.5 TB HDD for games and media.

Ports: 2x USB-C (front).  Ethernet, HDMI, Power Cable (back).

Performance: 45-60 fps, depending on game.  4K at medium, 1440p at high, 1080 at ultra.

Controller: USB-C charged.  Internal battery.  Touch sensor.  Backlit buttons.  Integrated mic.  No speakers.  Bluetooth headset supported.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

Who cares just get yourself a pc and be done waiting for new consoles to come out 

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

I don’t know why this even matters. They’re just guesses, not actual specs. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

I think you just throw random things together. It is much more likely that it will compete with the XBOX X in terms of performance without using the same GPU/CPU as the last time, probably at the same price of PS4 launch. Connectivity-wise they will surely improve from the PS4 in terms of BT, Wifi support and such but they will probably still stick to these awful USBs as of now. HDD won't change from the PRO, and surely won't be neither a hybrid or ssd-boot based.

What will surely change are features. PS4 had a LOT of more social and party/friends features than the PS3, and they kept improving them. They will probably add several new features to make streaming, making party, groups, chats and social-features richer and easier. 

14 minutes ago, ErrantNyles said:

It is much more likely that it will compete with the XBOX X in terms of performance without using the same GPU/CPU as the last time, probably at the same price of PS4 launch.

This is likely.  They won't be able to go too far above the X1X in performance without raising the price.  Frankly, even if they only improved upon its specs incrementally, but added a lot of practical features all around, it would be a good product for many consumers.

HDD won't change from the PRO, and surely won't be neither a hybrid or ssd-boot based.

True.  They're going to need something to add to the mid-gen refresh and this could be one of those things.  One major company (I think Samsung) said they're trying to get SSD's to current HDD price levels by 2020.  If so, it would be really cool if we could see a 2021-2012 refresh of the systems with a 250 GB SSD and a 1TB HDD.

What will surely change are features. PS4 had a LOT of more social and party/friends features than the PS3, and they kept improving them. They will probably add several new features to make streaming, making party, groups, chats and social-features richer and easier. 

The PS4 definitely had a need to keep up with Microsoft's XBL infrastructure.  I have to say, though, that the social/party/friends features aren't working as great as I thought they would.  Maybe because most of my real-life friends aren't big-time gamers, and the ones that do, almost always prefer to use Skype/Messenger.  The last message I got on PSN was probably 3 weeks ago from some irate man I do not know saying "****ing leave.  you're feeding"

41 minutes ago, Vernw3 said:

Who cares just get yourself a pc and be done waiting for new consoles to come out 

I am.  I just like speculating on how the tech industry is going to evolve.

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Honestly I really don't know its getting harder and harder to sell a sub $400 console that can up the graphical jump and PC gaming is getting far more accessible now in days.  Exclusives is what drives the purchase of consoles and by exclusive I mean its exclusive to that console only and not on Steam.  (ie Uncharted, Halo, Mario etc).  They'll all have streaming services like netflix thats a given and premium paid online services for gaming.  The biggest problem is that for a pure home console I'm not sure what else there is to bring to the table that is new aside from AR and VR which might (and thats a big maybe) become more accessible to the point of standardization. 

Of course its entirely possible that Microsoft and specifically Sony will try their hands at hybrid consoles like the Nintendo Switch.  I would say Sony would be more prone to it given the similar market in Japan in particular.

The price hikes could hurt the 9th gen consoles a lot.  A lot of companies will be competing against Sony and Microsoft for video chips.

Tablets are getting stronger and dedicated machines are slowing in growth.  It's a real impasse

PC gaming still has a ways to go to reach a decent 10-foot interface that doesn't require swapping out your input method to do certain tasks or launching a specific mode of a specific program. Not to mention the relative ease of use of setting up a lot of features that consoles have, but not PCs.

There's more to console gaming than just exclusive games. It's a different UX that PCs don't quite have.

PC's could be good consoles if nerds actually considered things from the point of view of a person who isn't tech savvy and simply doesn't have the time or obsessive fascination with tech to jump through 100 hoops before they can load their game.

PC's need to improve in the following ways:

• Smaller form factor
  • Energy efficiency
  • A great all-in-one launcher app for Windows 10

You can't really predict how a console is going to be. It could very well be like what Adam Koralik has said in the past, that the consoles will become streaming boxes in a sense, or they could realistically be actual consoles with good hardware. It'd all depend on how much money both are willing to invest.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

I can't possibly see a PS5/XBox WhateverTheyCallItThisTime until we're at 7nm. Until you see those node shrinks you're probably not going to see a big generational jump that can be sold for $400. I doubt we're ever going to see anything like the PS3 again where Sony was taking around a $150 hit on every console sold at launch even selling at $600. And the economy seems too shitty for a $500 to $600 console. Look how bad the $500 XBone sold until they came out with the One S and slashed the price. I would venture 2019 is probably a best case scenario, but more realistically I see 2020 or maybe even 2021 given how much trouble everyone has had with big node shrinks the last few years.

19 hours ago, minervx said:

Processor: AMD Jaguar (8 cores clocked at 2.8 GHz)

No, Zen.

maybe even 4 Cores with SMT; but maybe they go for 6 or even 8 cores.

GPU: Equivalent to a GTX 1070's benchmarks (13 million teraflops /s)

AMD VEGA based, I'd guess something around 2816 or maybe even 3584 shaders.

Also it's highly unlikely that we will ever see a seperate Graphics chips ever again in a console. There is absolutely no need for that anymore, because you can get everything you want in whatever way you want from AMD...

RAM: 16 GB GDDR5 (including 4GB for the OS)

Depends on the price of HBM and other factors.

I'd not be too concerned about the memory these days but rather Bandwith.

I see the babdwith of the PS4 PRO as a weak point...

GPU Power incresed dramatically, Bandwith did not. Also not the CPU. 

And I don't know if it is at all possible to get Jaguar to 2.8GHz, but that doesn't really matter because there is a better alternative wich has a similar architecture with 8 Cores than Jaguar has. So a fallback mode is entirely possible. So in that regard, 8 Zen Cores are more likely...

And remember:
The baseline is PS4 PRO, not PS4.

So whatever they do it has to top the better PS4 PRO, not just the PS4, that was already done last year.

Microsoft did the same with the XBox One X (project Scorpio) wich is a step between the original XBox One and the XBox Two, wich much more enhancemncts than PS4 -> PS4 PRO got...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

• 1 month later...

Intel integrated CPU with 6 cores clocked at 3 ghz, paired with AMD radeon based GPU at 10 Teraflops of computing power, supported by dx 12 and 8/12 or even16 gb of HBM3 Ram.  

Booting from small on-board ssd with 2 tb of HDD. 

Thats my predictions for ps5, on 2020 or 2021. 

Id would personally sacrifice the form factor of a next gen console for modular upgrades.  For Instance being able to swap out GPU, CPU, RAM, HDD/SSD, and Ethernet Port with like a 1 button eject system.  I would also like to see the addition of More USB ports.  I know with the Xbox one there are 3 ports, I always have all 3 occupied.  1 Charging my headset, one Charging my extra Controller, and one for my External Hard drive.  With the new adoption of USB cameras for streaming, or if you have a kinect that you want to use, that also takes up a USB port.  I think 4 would be great, 5 would really be what i would like to see.

On 9.11.2017 at 1:56 PM, Nedkely said:

Intel integrated CPU with 6 cores clocked at 3 ghz, paired with AMD radeon based GPU at 10 Teraflops of computing power, supported by dx 12 and 8/12 or even16 gb of HBM3 Ram.  

Thats my predictions for ps5, on 2020 or 2021. 

I doubt that.

Because Intel is too expensive and a semi custom AMD chip would be cheaper long term.

And AFAIR it also is possible that Sony can order the manufacturing and AMD hasn't really anything to do with it.

It's the same with Apple and AMD: For AMD GPUs Apple can be responsible for the drivers, that's what they want...

The same can also be true for Sony that AMD only does the chip and Sony everything else...

And if everything comes from one source, it can be cheaper...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"