Sharing between PC and Mac

Zeverynth

Hi all, 

I'm new here and a bit of an amateur, so please bear with me. 

Last year my friend gifted me a 2011 mac. I have since bought a pc with windows 10 that does almost everything I could want, however the mac has Logic Pro and a number of other useful music-related applications. My plan is to keep the mac in my music room connected up to the mics etc, and send any other files over that I might need. For example, I want to send over some live gig audio from my camera (which the pc is infinitely better at dealing with) so I can chop it up and eq it in Logic. 

I know I could just put the files I need on physical storage and move it around, but if I manage to set this up it'll be much more convenient.

I have gotten so far as attempting to connect the mac to a server. It asks me for a password and I'm not exactly sure what one it's asking for. I've tried all the passwords for everything I can think of.

Apologies for the quality of the attached pic. I'm using a standard keyboard on the mac and don't know how to screenshot :/ 

Can normally botch my way through this stuff but not today it seems.

If anyone could take the time to somewhat walk me through this it would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Dean

21754991_1799948706701278_270727034_o.jpg

This server you are talking about is something from yourself? Why not just make a smb share on your windows or mac machine and access this trough the network?

About the password if this server is managed by yourself check the sharing settings for the folder, it will show which accounts have access to the folder. It probably only lists a few accounts and because you aren't in the same domain you need to enter the credentials of one of these allowed accounts (on the local computer or domain depending on which ones you gave access).

10 minutes ago, Zeverynth said:

Hi all, 

I'm new here and a bit of an amateur, so please bear with me. 

Last year my friend gifted me a 2011 mac. I have since bought a pc with windows 10 that does almost everything I could want, however the mac has Logic Pro and a number of other useful music-related applications. My plan is to keep the mac in my music room connected up to the mics etc, and send any other files over that I might need. For example, I want to send over some live gig audio from my camera (which the pc is infinitely better at dealing with) so I can chop it up and eq it in Logic. 

I know I could just put the files I need on physical storage and move it around, but if I manage to set this up it'll be much more convenient.

I have gotten so far as attempting to connect the mac to a server. It asks me for a password and I'm not exactly sure what one it's asking for. I've tried all the passwords for everything I can think of.

Apologies for the quality of the attached pic. I'm using a standard keyboard on the mac and don't know how to screenshot :/ 

Can normally botch my way through this stuff but not today it seems.

If anyone could take the time to somewhat walk me through this it would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Dean

21754991_1799948706701278_270727034_o.jpg

If you just want the features of OSX, dual boot it alongside windows 10. Especially if your PC is more powerful than the Mac you would be saving your self a lot of time. 

19 minutes ago, Zeverynth said:

don't know how to screenshot

Apple+shift+F3 i think.

you use the login credentials for the PC. If there are none, you don't use any.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

5 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

you use the login credentials for the PC. If there are none, you don't use any.

I think this is where I'm getting stuck. The mac isn't showing as trying to connect to the PC, rather it's trying to gain access to the router - "brightbox2" - which it surely should already have as it accesses my broadband connection no problem. :S

1 minute ago, Zeverynth said:

I think this is where I'm getting stuck. The mac isn't showing as trying to connect to the PC, rather it's trying to gain access to the router - "brightbox2" - which it surely should already have as it accesses my broadband connection no problem. :S

your router probably has a small smb server on it because some engeneer tought that to be a good idea.
Are you running a domain or workgroup network in your home? (if you don't know it's a workgroup)

You probably want to go on the machine with the best harddisk/ssd and make a shared folder on this machine. Now connect over smb to this folder and you are done and you can share files with each other.

Here is a link on how to set up a smb share on a mac:
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25346?locale=nl_NL&viewlocale=en_US

4 minutes ago, Zeverynth said:

are you using the PC's IP address to connect?

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Hi all, 

I appreciate the help but I still haven't managed to get this to work. 

On 9/15/2017 at 4:37 PM, mtz_federico said:

The mac has a built in ssh server you just have to turn it on on here is how https://support.apple.com/kb/ph18726?locale=en_US  

and just use an ssh file and conole client on your pc (I like to use bitvise ssh https://www.bitvise.com/ssh-client-download )

and transfer the files from the pc to the mac or backwards 

I've just tried this and gotten "Windows error 11003: A non-recoverable error occurred during a database lookup."

On 9/13/2017 at 4:18 PM, Levisallanon said:

your router probably has a small smb server on it because some engeneer tought that to be a good idea.
Are you running a domain or workgroup network in your home? (if you don't know it's a workgroup)

You probably want to go on the machine with the best harddisk/ssd and make a shared folder on this machine. Now connect over smb to this folder and you are done and you can share files with each other.

Here is a link on how to set up a smb share on a mac:
https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25346?locale=nl_NL&viewlocale=en_US

I didn't think there was a workgroup in the home but it turns there is one which I can't connect to. Think it's from my brother's pc. How would I go about connecting over smb? Nothing I've done so far has come remotely close to working :( 

Kind Regards,

D

Hi all,

Managed to get this sorted. Not sure what the problem was but the PC and Mac are finding each other now. 

Thanks for the tips. 

Kind Regards,

D