Create585

~$400 cans for a Schiit Modi2+Mangi2?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Really looking to enjoy higher fidelity music, and expand my headphone collection. Currently have a pair of ATH-M40X's for daily use, and my Schiit Stack drives my DT 990 Premium 600Ohm. I like the slightly better bass punch in my M40X's, but want to maintain clarity and an open sound stage I get a bit of from my DT 990 Premiums. Currently looking at either the Oppo PM3 or HD650 by Sennheiser. But if it's a better investment, I may try to spring for HD700's or Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro's at the ~$500 price point. Really hoping for $400 recommendations though. Also heard mixed (still mostly positive things) about Master & Dynamic MH40's and wasn't really looking at those without strong enough recommendations.

The Dark Knight, Ryzen.

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4GHz, 

AM4 XSPC Raystorm Pro CPU Waterblock, 

GTX 1080 Ti Founder's Edition +150MHz Core/+200MHz Mem,

XSPC Razor GTX 1080/1080Ti FE Waterblock and Backplate,

16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 3600c15 @  3466MT/s 15-15-15-35-54-333-1T 1.35v,

Asus x370 Crosshair VI Hero (1501)

EVGA T2 850w Titanium Power Supply, EVGA Black/Red Custom Sleeved PSU Cables, 

Samsung 960 Evo 256gb NVMe M.2 SSD, Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD, WD Blue 3TB HDD,  

ML120 Pro & (3x) Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000rpm

Primochill SX 360mm Rad w/ XSPC Photon 170 + D5 pump/res combo,

ASUS PCE-AC88, ASUS ROG PG248Q, Dell S2417DG,  

w/ Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2, Razer DeathAdder Chroma, Razer Firefly,  
Audio Technica ATH-M40x

Schiit Stack (Modi 2, Magni 2, Vali 2) w/ Beyerdynamic DT 990s 600Ohm variant

Cooler Master Masterbox 5t

https://valid.x86.fr/fsb4k4

HD 700 are really love or hate, because of their spike and drop in the higher frequency range.

You could look for a used HE 500, that would give you the bass punch and a decent soundstage, which you can make bigger by modding them and making the grill bigger + removing the foam.

HD 650 wouldn't be a bad headphone at all, but it is very laid back, with a veiled treble and mid bass bump, which gives them a lush warm sound that is very relaxed. PM3's don't offer much detail, it is very much a headphone where you give up some sound for looks and it is also a very relaxed and warm sounding headphone.

The HE 500 is prob the most "wild and fun" at least from the bunch I have talked about.

TBH go out and try shit :D 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones: HE 560, K612 pro.

DAC and AMP: O2 and ODAC combo (for sale 135€). Dual PCM63k + tube DAC (still waiting for an amp).

Speakers: Monitor Audio Bronze 2, Argon 7460A

Receiver: Yamaha R-N500

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080 and other stuff

Laptop: Thinkpad T420s (top model)

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

HD650 is a great starting headphone. It isn't veiled if you pair it right and scale incredibly wild. Pass the HD700s though, they are worse than the HD6x0 or HD800. Don't try searching for headphones with a target price, look for sound signature you want then consider the price.