Resistive load for discharging

Hackentosher

I love my hitec charger, but I can only dissipate energy at like 10w. I have an old prusa i3 pcb heatbed lying around, a bucket, and an abundant supply of water. I've heard of people running wire through some water for discharging, but I'm trying to use materials I have at hand. Anyone know if I would blow up the pcb heatbed, and what the anticipated load would be? Thanks guys. 

ASU

well.. the math on heated beds is easy.. they are a resistive load, they have a rated voltage, and wattage.

for example, a 40 watt heated bed running off 24 votls. => 1.67A; from that you can apply ohm's law and conclude the bed has a resistance of roughly 14 ohms.

essentially, a heated bed is just a very big resistor with some thermal mass stuck to it.

EDIT: also, measure it out with a multimeter if you wanna be sure ;)

9 minutes ago, manikyath said:

well.. the math on heated beds is easy.. they are a resistive load, they have a rated voltage, and wattage.

for example, a 40 watt heated bed running off 24 votls. => 1.67A; from that you can apply ohm's law and conclude the bed has a resistance of roughly 14 ohms.

essentially, a heated bed is just a very big resistor with some thermal mass stuck to it.

EDIT: also, measure it out with a multimeter if you wanna be sure ;)

Be careful measuring the resistance of heaters with multimeters, as the resistance changes with temperature. (I can explain in more detail if you wish)

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

1 hour ago, unknownmiscreant said:

Be careful measuring the resistance of heaters with multimeters, as the resistance changes with temperature. (I can explain in more detail if you wish)

With any kind of heater? I mean this pcb thing is just a bunch of thicc traces across the whole board. 

ASU

Just now, Hackentosher said:

With any kind of heater? I mean this pcb thing is just a bunch of thicc traces across the whole board. 

Resistance of anything increases with temperature, be it heaters, wires, resistors, light bulb filaments.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

Just now, unknownmiscreant said:

Resistance of anything increases with temperature, be it heaters, wires, resistors, light bulb filaments.

Huh, I didn't know that. 

ASU

you can buy power resistors for a few bucks on aliexpress, i just got one yesterday that is 1 ohm and rated at up to 50W before it gets way too hot.

i used it to discharge my super capacitor bank yesterday but i guess ill need more of them to keep the heat under control.

1 hour ago, Pixel5 said:

you can buy power resistors for a few bucks on aliexpress, i just got one yesterday that is 1 ohm and rated at up to 50W before it gets way too hot.

i used it to discharge my super capacitor bank yesterday but i guess ill need more of them to keep the heat under control.

Yes the thing is here I don't want to spend any money. I have the heat bed, I have a bucket, I can add water. 

ASU

Alright, I soldered an XT60 to the heated bed, it measured in at 1.6ohms, then with my input voltage of 15v, it should be around 150w. Not too bad.

Update: works like a hot damn! Drains about 200mah from a 4s 1300mah lipo in 1 minute, so what's the math there for discharge capacity and current? Running this in a bucket of water btw.

Edited by Hackentosher

ASU