iPhone 8 and X officially announced

Juanitology
1 minute ago, ScratchCat said:

iPhone X will sport the latest A11 chipset and 3 gigs of RAM

http://www.gsmarena.com/iphone_x_spotted_on_geekbench_iphone_7s_appears_on_antutu-news-27224.php

This benchmark appeared today and is inline with the 25% increase apple said. Apart from the 24MHz clock speed it seems legitimate.

I'm surprised with the IPC and performance of the chip, it is equalish to my 4690k at 3.5GHz and 95W TDP, what magic sauce is apple using to exceed Intel's IPC by 45% estimated at ~5W??

Yeah, this is because Geekbench is crap, there is no way this mobile chip is as fast as your 4690K. :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 hour ago, Agost said:

I laughed so hard at the failed Face ID detection during the presentation.

The Face ID didn't mess up. It said to enter password to enable it. My guess is they reset the phone or something and forgot to do that. Same thing happens on my note for the fingerprint scanner if I reset the phone. I have to enter my password at least once.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

10 minutes ago, mrchow19910319 said:

I prefer the SE.. it is a 6s in 5's body. 

Other than the screen size is a bit too small when taking photo, the phone is perfect, 

I can definitely see where you're coming from. The 5S was about the perfect size to type on for me when I was younger (and had smaller hands). I've now grown a little more accustomed to larger phones, though I don't really like this new trend of 6"+ displays on smartphones.

I actually didn't think the 6S was that impressive, since the 750p screen was basically a deal-breaker...but I would say that the 6S Plus was the best phone of 2015 (alongside the Nexus 6P).

Tbh I would actually like a refreshed version of the SE with iPhone 8 tech

Oh, wait...

...there's no difference between the 6S and the 8! 

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

Can we talk about that augmented reality demonstration though? I thought that looked and sounded pretty amazing

1000+ views, 100+ replies, and not a single person thought to give a thumbs up on a post I worked so hard to format nicely and include all the relevant info... damn dude. 

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

FaceID is a horrible replacement for the fingerprint reader. It's like replacing your hammer with a screwdriver.

Holy shit 1000 dollars for a phone with a bunch of compromises. No thanks.

I have a feeling this would not have been acceptable if Steve was still at the company.

If FaceID works well I have no problems with that instead of a fingerprint scanner. Looks like they have a solid implementation, and will hold out judgment until I can use it myself.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

20 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

The iPhone 6S was the last iPhone that impressed me. 

Honestly, at this point, if you truly want an iPhone, get a new 6S and be done with it. It does everything the 8 and X can while being somewhat affordable.

If you want some really nice high-end features, go Android.

Ye ole' train

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Yeah, this is because Geekbench is crap, there is no way this mobile chip is as fast as your 4690K. :P

Apple could probably make it happen...Intel's been sitting on their asses for a while now and Apple is one of the most powerful companies in the world...if they focused all of their resources into making this one chip, I think it would be possible...

But...there's no way they will make it happen. Their brainwashed consumers wouldn't notice the difference unless they told them, lol

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Intel Core i5-6500 / Cryorig H7 / Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H / Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz / EVGA GTX 1070 SC / Fractal Design Define R5 / Adata SP550 240GB / WD Blue 500GB / WD Blue 1TB / EVGA 750GQ 

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Google Pixel XL 128GB / Jaybird Bluebuds X3 / Logitech MX Master / Sennheiser HD 598 / 

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

As the informative button doesn't work , thanks.

We need a new benchmark across platforms so we don't need to deal with geekbench related confusion.

Just now, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Honestly, at this point, if you truly want an iPhone, get a new 6S and be done with it. It does everything the 8 and X can while being somewhat affordable.

If you want some really nice high-end features, go Android.

Yup. 

But people are still going to buy these new phones anyway...without reading/watching any reviews or researching anything about what they're paying for...

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

Just now, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

Yup. 

But people are still going to buy these new phones anyway...without reading/watching any reviews or researching anything about what they're paying for...

Nah, only the really dumb idiots will. Even people with cash to burn will take a second look at these new phones just because of their prices. I mean $1000 for a piece of fragile glass, nobody in their right mind buys that.

Ye ole' train

1 minute ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

Am I the only one that is really displeased the design of iPhone after iPhone 5? 

I really hate the "rounded edges" trend apple is going for. 

I think the best post iPhone 5 iPhone is iPhone 7 plus, jet black edition. 

After that ... none of the iPhones looks pretty to me. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

3 minutes ago, shermantanker said:

but it isn't and iris scanner

IRIS or not both require a sufficient amount of light. This will not be usable in all cases. Hell look at the demo in meh lighting 

8 minutes ago, shermantanker said:

but it isn't and iris scanner

Indeed it isn't which is the entire problem. Good luck unlocking your phone with winter clothing on your face or with a rain coat in stormy conditions. You'd have to go half nude before your phone will unlock.

The FaceID system is basically nothing more than Apple's excuse for not having an under-the-glass TouchID sensor in time.

Ye ole' train

7 minutes ago, Chaos_Sorcerer said:

Yup. 

At the risk of getting butt reamed. I'm totally planning on picking up an 8. I have no need for an aux port, so I'm not in the 6S master race group. I'm still using a 6, but I was looking at a Pixel 2. At the end of it, I've enjoyed my phone and really I just can't bring myself to get out of the Apple ecosystem

Just now, mrchow19910319 said:

Am I the only one that is really displeased the design of iPhone after iPhone 5? 

I really hate the "rounded edges" trend apple is going for. 

I think the best post iPhone 5 iPhone is iPhone 7 plus, jet black edition. 

After that ... none of the iPhones looks pretty to me. 

The best designed one, I think, was the matte black iPhone 7 Plus. I didn't really mind the rounded design, but the antenna lines look ridiculous, honestly. 

1 minute ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Nah, only the really dumb idiots will. Even people with cash to burn will take a second look at these new phones just because of their prices. I mean $1000 for a piece of fragile glass, nobody in their right mind buys that.

Trust me, they will. They most definitely will. "It's Apple. It lasts a long time. It's easy to use. The new design looks sooo cool! Facial recognition? What an innovation!"

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

IRIS or not both require a sufficient amount of light. This will not be usable in all cases. Hell look at the demo in meh lighting 

It has a Flood Illuminator that blasts you with invisible infrared light to help identify your face even when it’s dark.

2 minutes ago, Mr Bacon said:

At the risk of getting butt reamed. I'm totally planning on picking up an 8. I have no need for an aux port, so I'm not in the 6S master race group. I'm still using a 6, but I was looking at a Pixel 2. At the end of it, I've enjoyed my phone and really I just can't bring myself to get out of the Apple ecosystem

I'm not here to bash you or anything, lol. I will only really bash you if you just go out and buy one right now without knowing anything about what you're buying first. It's your money, muh dude.

I would still advise you to wait for the Pixel 2, though.

Night Fury 2.0:

Spoiler

Daily Drivers:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Mr Bacon said:

It has a Flood Illuminator that blasts you with invisible infrared light to help identify your face even when it’s dark.

Yeah but if its like my S8 its not that much light. Your lockscreen with a white background is brighter than that IR light. Also "flood illuminator" is a dumb name. 

3 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

it didn't fail a demo, and as said above it has two different IR emitters plus the light of the screen itself. The "hiccup" in the demo was because the pass code was needed to enable touch ID. some just forgot to enter it before the presentation. 

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

Looks pretty impressive actually. I'm not a huge fan of the camera placement or the large bump, but the facial camera is pretty awesome. Not something I would use, but I can see tons of people loving the emoji thing. Wish the camera would have had a better aperture, but I guess you can't have it all. Price seems in line with other flagships, especially since it's an Apple product.

I find it amusing that they don't list battery capacity, even on their website...

1 hour ago, shermantanker said:

Well where else are you going to cram in the 3 million sensors if you want to do a full body screen like that. You either take away the screen or and add more phone and build something too tall. Have the extra screen in the corners is an good use of space, and the rounded edges of the screen look great. For once someone actually did something new will a phone's design.

The phone isn't big at all, they could have easily stretched it out a bit.

43 minutes ago, Not_Jony_Ive said:

If your parents truly love you they will get you an iphone X this Christmas. 

If you got an iphone 8 and below, you are adopted. 

If you got an android phone.... well... I let you figured it out yourself..

If my parents got me an iPhone they'd definitely hate me, because they know how much I hate Apple phones ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

6 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Indeed it isn't which is the entire problem. Good luck unlocking your phone with winter clothing on your face or with a rain coat in stormy conditions. You'd have to go half nude before your phone will unlock.

those conditions described make any fingerprint scanner just as useless because of gloves or wet conditions. And according the the presentation winter clothing won't make a difference unless you have half your face covered or something. How well that works is yet to be seen.

No band 71, no buy.

No headphone jack, no buy.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

3 minutes ago, shermantanker said:

those conditions described make any fingerprint scanner just as useless because of gloves or wet conditions. And according the the presentation winter clothing won't make a difference unless you have half your face covered or something. How well that works is yet to be seen.

But thats why having multiple options is a huge bonus. I cant always use my IRIS and I cant always use my FP reader. Both together make it unlockable in public without someone seeing my passcode. There is no reason they could have made the logo a FP reader. Cases already have the cutouts for it and its already been shown to have enough room to illuminate it. 

Is the S8 can have BOTH FP and headphone jack in the same size then there is no reason the iphone cant. More options are better people.

4 minutes ago, dizmo said:

The phone isn't big at all, they could have easily stretched it out a bit.

If they did it would have the note 8 issue of being rather tall, and I personally am not a fan of that. Any wider, and you could loose some one handed usability. The bump isn't ideal, but you give and take in order to have such a high screen to body ratio, and people will get used to it over time.