iPhone 8 and X officially announced

Juanitology
8 minutes ago, anthonyjc2010 said:

Well, we've been waiting anxiously for this. Apple Retail employees have been endlessly questioned for this. People are already in lines at Apple Stores for this. The new iPhone is coming, and all the chaos that's associated with this annual event is here also. I have, below, typed out summaries of the products and features from items announced at this upcoming Apple Event.

[snip]

merged

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

How does it work in low/no light settings?

I just kind of hate facial recognition stuff, it tends to suck and even when it is good, there's still loads of situations where it doesn't work. I was doing some work on my house recently that involved a lot of flying bits of rubble, so I had full face protection on. Fingerprint scanner works fine but face recognition wouldn't work without taking everything off. I get having the option of both, but getting rid of one and only give you one option is stupid. 

Thats what the IR light is for. The problem is eyes can see IR so in low light your eyes dilate and you have no iris to read.....but thats what the FP reader is for. 

At least on my S8 I use Iris scanning almost all the time. At night and some situations I NEED to use the FP reader because the IR light helps little. 

1 minute ago, hey_yo_ said:

What did just happened?

you got merged

Just now, AG1233 said:

@hey_yo_ topic was covering much more than the iPhones tho.

But this one was first and the forum doesn't let you manually rearrange posts

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

you got merged

I covered three products

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Just now, hey_yo_ said:

I covered three products

It's all about the apple event though, we don't need several separate topics on that

I laughed so hard at the failed Face ID detection during the presentation.

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

the system navigation for the iphone x is pretty interesting. would like a similar gesture-based navigation for Android devices, just getting rid of softkeys / navbars forever, because you lose a lot of real estate just having that bar there 

iPhone X looks pretty neato tbh. 

Steve Jobs said the original iPhone has a giant screen upon its introduction. 10 years later they finally did it. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, Technicolors said:

the system navigation for the iphone x is pretty interesting. would like a similar gesture-based navigation for Android devices, just getting rid of softkeys / navbars forever, because you lose a lot of real estate just having that bar there 

you can already do that...

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

The biggest disappointment in the history of disappointments. I can't believe they released that. iPhone X looks awful, the camera bump is even bigger now and the top cutout in the top of the screen looks also very bad, Also they recycled the design 4th time for iPhone 8... Poor Phil Shiller was talking about iPhone 8 to a theater full of very bored people. 

That is some pretty impressive hardware, and will look forward to upgrading. But damn $1,150/256gb or 50-60 a month is steep. Will probably just buy it outright. Apple did gud fosho

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

2 minutes ago, dorin said:

The biggest disappointment in the history of disappointments. I can't believe they released that. iPhone X looks awful, the camera bump is even bigger now and the top cutout in the top of the screen looks also very bad, Also they recycled the design 4th time for iPhone 8... Poor Phil Shiller was talking about iPhone 8 to a theater full of very bored people. 

Well where else are you going to cram in the 3 million sensors if you want to do a full body screen like that. You either take away the screen or and add more phone and build something too tall. Have the extra screen in the corners is an good use of space, and the rounded edges of the screen look great. For once someone actually did something new will a phone's design.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but they are the first to do 4K/60fps on a smartphone?

25 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

I would have actually been impressed if they had chosen to make the Apple logo the fingerprint scanner.

Why aren't you working at Apple? 

That's an amazing idea.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Tim held a knife against me and made me do this, you guys better fucking buy the iPhone X.

DJi4mFWUMAAH7H8.jpg.ae8b759d6a3380b4af0544fc12f7ca34.jpg

I'm Jonathan Ive, the best fucking designer since Dieter Rams. I invented #minimaluminiumalism.

3 minutes ago, shermantanker said:

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but they are the first to do 4K/60fps on a smartphone?

I believe they are. Not sure about 1080p 240fps, I think the only other phoen that did 240fps was in 720p

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

2 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Why aren't you working at Apple? 

That's an amazing idea.

New innovation from Apple: The 3.5mm audio experience output. It allows you to charge the phone and use audio experience devices at the same time. We are the first company in the world to integrate both the lightning port and the 3.5mm audio experience output into a phone. 

MSRP: $20,000

That lack of TouchID really pissed me off. 

I feel that any facial recognition will never be as fast as a fingerprint reader, since it's possible to use it without looking at your phone (and vice versa).

Or maybe it's just the lazy part of me talking.

Desktop

Y4M1-II: AMD Ryzen 9-5900X | Asrock RX 6900XT Phantom Gaming D | Gigabyte RTX 4060 low profile | 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws V | 2TB Samsung 980 Pro + 4TB 870 EVO + 4TB SanDisk Ultra 3D + 8TB WD Black + 4TB WD Black HDD | Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL-X | Antec ST1000 1000W 80+ Titanium | MSI Optix MAG342CQR | BenQ EW3270U | Kubuntu

-------------------------------

Mobile devices

Kuroneko: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga 4th (Intel i7-10510U | 16GB RAM | 1TB SSD)

33 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

So no fingerprint scanner? You actually have to get the phone out and face it towards you to unlock it (obviously, you still have the code). Being able to just rest your finger on the scanner as you pull it from your pocket is by far the quickest and easiest way to unlock phones right now. I really hope other brands don't blindly follow Apple with stuff like this like they have with the headphone jack.

Well I have some amazing news for you: 

59b833ef9edcb_ScreenShot2017-09-13at3_21_54AM.png.117cc772d03dc836dab97cc9a2628b9d.png

I'm Jonathan Ive, the best fucking designer since Dieter Rams. I invented #minimaluminiumalism.

13 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

you can already do that...

disable the navbar? you can, but use what else? i use Pie controls on my S8 and honestly it's pretty janky, but having that navbar sucks