iPhone 8 and X officially announced

Juanitology
Just now, Cyberspirit said:

Is there a way to recover from that? I feel like this would be really bad if you have little  kids since they love to play with phones and pretend they are calling someone.

You can have that option disabled first if kids are the concern. I actually have that option disabled for my iPad because my nephews use it all the time but I have it enabled for my iPhone. 

IMG_0191.thumb.PNG.9dab2c296a61a26bb9adf9a7e8de87de.PNG

Since it uses file level encryption, I don't think there's a way to access the data once it's deleted since the encryption keys are stripped off first before initiating a wipe. https://www.apple.com/business/docs/iOS_Security_Guide.pdf 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

2 hours ago, Asche said:

No.

You also have to look at it.

I bet it'll be much harder for someone to force you to look at your iPhone to unlock it, than cut your "unlock" finger (if it go this far..).

If they have you physically it's already game over, they can force you to give up your pin.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

15 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Is there a way to recover from that? I feel like this would be really bad if you have little  kids since they love to play with phones and pretend they are calling someone.

Regular backups are always the solution to data loss.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

That top space is annoying, watching video having that off black space and not even equal ugh. Also, odd functions on the iPhone X like home screen, app change, notification tools draw reverse and such. It's actually more annoying swiping then pressing, and to add virtual keys that are no pressure even would be great. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

2 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

You do realize how small a FP module is and how little effort they would have to do to incorporate it without losing battery life. Samsung can do it no problem. I dont get why you are so pro-apple against this

In both Samsung and Apple's case the FP unit is placed directly on the board, and that takes up quite a bit of real estate. And something has to go  if you aren't going to change the phones dimension at all. I haven't seen tear downs of phones that have it in the center to see what they did with the battery.

Anyway with all the anti-apple sentiment in this forum someone has to stand up for them lol

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

3 hours ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Something just occurred to me with "FaceID". I wonder how good it is at recognising if you're actually holding the phone or if someone else is holding it. If all it takes to unlock the phone is just to point it at the owner's face, it's going to be incredibly easy for people to gain access to the phone. Sure, if someone steals your phone and runs away with it, they're probably not getting in, but seems like it might be very easy for "friends" to access the phone or even someone at a public place if you leave your phone on the counter and look away for a second. If payments and such are all managed by FaceID, it's going to be a massive risk if it's easy to unlock it that way. 

It may well be very difficult to trick FaceID, but what good is it when you don't even have to trick it? At least with touch ID you can't really just grab someone's finger and press it against the phone without them realising. 

i guess that a new feature in ios11 is being able to hit a button a few times, and lock out bio-metric access and require a pass code. But I do have the final build of the ios11 beta on my 7, and don't know how to enable that as of yet.

I could see this helping in several cases, but it still requires you to do it before giving your phone up to an interested party. But not perfect by any means.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

9 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Please explain to me why 3.5mm is worse than USB/Lightning.

So far you have only said it is old, which is not a valid reason.

Seriously. I said, "google if you don't believe me" and "it's inferior tech." Inferior, as in lightning provides more features than aux.

Because requesting people to do their own research is hard, here's one article. https://www.theverge.com/2016/6/7/11874706/iphone-7-lightning-headphones-reasons

32 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

That top space is annoying, watching video having that off black space and not even equal ugh. Also, odd functions on the iPhone X like home screen, app change, notification tools draw reverse and such. It's actually more annoying swiping then pressing, and to add virtual keys that are no pressure even would be great. 

you can double tap to zoom out and use black bars.

10 minutes ago, shermantanker said:

In both Samsung and Apple's case the FP unit is placed directly on the board, and that takes up quite a bit of real estate. And something has to go  if you aren't going to change the phones dimension at all. I haven't seen tear downs of phones that have it in the center to see what they did with the battery.

Anyway with all the anti-apple sentiment in this forum someone has to stand up for them lol

Look how much realestate this takes up on the S8......Like come on...if you think this extra nub will cause the battery to be so much smaller to fit it then I dont know what else to say. Also look at the essential phone, with a smaller chassis and more bezel less design and they have manage to add a FP reader on the back.

Your argument that Apple couldnt do it because size and battery cap is pure BS when other phone do it in a smaller package AND have a HP jack. Like I get you want to be the white knight but its just making you look bad.

kDDW2lJejS5ZYQTl.huge

5 hours ago, Sauron said:

[I found out later the X is actually AMOLED, couldn't tell from the OP]Still not OLED? What the hell :dry:... I'm also struggling to see why the X is 300$ more expensive than the 8... the only significant difference seems to be the slightly extended display (with HDR support, whatever, that's 90% software) and stainless steel over aluminum (which might actually be a downside if it's heavier for the same sturdiness).

Also gotta love the extremely generic Cook quote:

which could have probably applied to every single iPhone (or high end smartphone in general) launch ever.

I disagree that he's a worse lead for the company than Jobs, but damn, his stage presence is not even in the same league.

Other than that I see a couple of iterative improvements (probably better than trying to add new useless gimmicks) and I guess the edge to edge screen is cool, but it strikes me as less actually practical than samsung's curved edges and taller device. This looks to be more like the macbook pro's touchbar, slightly more flexible than actual buttons but pretty much superfluous outside of apps that spcifically support it.

What is the difference  between AMOLED and OLED? If I remember correctly my old galaxy s1 was AMOLED, but didn't know there was  a difference.

2 minutes ago, shermantanker said:

What is the difference  between AMOLED and OLED? If I remember correctly my old galaxy s1 was AMOLED, but didn't know there was  a difference.

AMOLED can store power and charge a pixel, pyo. OLED can only charge the pixel, pyo. AMOLED is a type of OLED, pyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, shermantanker said:

What is the difference  between AMOLED and OLED?

AMOLED has better control over individual pixels by storing power or something. Which I dont get because with OLED, the technology revolves around controlling each pixel. Yeah there is not much more of a difference to be honest.

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Look how much realestate this takes up on the S8......Like come on...if you think this extra nub will cause the battery to be so much smaller to fit it then I dont know what else to say. Also look at the essential phone, with a smaller chassis and more bezel less design and they have manage to add a FP reader on the back.

Your argument that Apple couldnt do it because size and battery cap is pure BS when other phone do it in a smaller package AND have a HP jack 

kDDW2lJejS5ZYQTl.huge

my point was that it is soldered directly to the board for both samsung and apple, and the mm^2 for the FP scanner is pretty large.

Galaxy-Note-8-4.png

and it may just be me, but that FP module looks pretty thick when compared to the rest of the phone.

4 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Your argument that Apple couldnt do it because size and battery cap is pure BS when other phone do it in a smaller package AND have a HP jack. Like I get you want to be the white knight but its just making you look bad.

Personally, my theory on why there's no fingerprint reader is based on what the earlier rumors were saying. I think they didn't include it because they were trying so hard to get it to work through the screen. When that failed they just fell back on face recognition only because at that point they didn't have time to retool for a FP reader through the logo or something like that

4 minutes ago, shermantanker said:

AMOLED is one technology for controlling pixels in an OLED screen.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Mr Bacon said:

Personally, my theory on why there's no fingerprint reader is based on what the earlier rumors were saying. I think they didn't include it because they were trying so hard to get it to work through the screen. When that failed they just fell back on face recognition only because at that point they didn't have time to retool for a FP reader through the logo or something like that

that sounds plausible, and even more so when you consider how late we were still getting leaks on a rear/underglass FP scanner.

1 minute ago, shermantanker said:

my point was that it is soldered directly to the board for both samsung and apple, and the mm^2 for the FP scanner is pretty large.

But my point is its not that large especially with the fact that the S8 has more internals than the iphone and can fit it all comfortably and is in the same foot print. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Bacon said:

And what pisses me off the most is Samsung couldnt get the tech ready in time and threw the FP reader on the back and got shit for it even though IRIS scanner is amazing. Yet everyone swore apple could do it, failed, removed touch id altogether and everyone is fine with it. Like fuck fan bois and tech sites, at least Samsung didnt remove a widely used feature . Also they could have easily ran a ribbon cable to the module on the logo.

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

And what pisses me off the most is Samsung could get the tech ready in time and through the FP reader on the back and got shit for it even though IRIS scanner is amazing. Yet everyone swore apple could do it, failed, removed touch id altogether and everyone is fine with it. Like fuck fan bois and tech sites. Also they could have easily ran a ribbon cable to the module on the logo.

I think you might underestimating the difficulties in production to make a change like that, but I do see your point.

I'll be curious to see if there's any kind of void of hardware evident under the panel around where the FP reader would be. Indicating they planned to put one in, but realized too late that it wouldn't work reliably.

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Regular backups are always the solution to data loss.

Sure but most people don't do that that's why i was asking. 

I back everything i need or think is important up to cloud and an HDD but most people i know do not.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

4 minutes ago, Mr Bacon said:

I think you might underestimating the difficulties in production to make a change like that, but I do see your point.

I'll be curious to see if there's any kind of void of hardware evident under the panel around where the FP reader would be. Indicating they planned to put one in, but realized too late that it wouldn't work reliably.

I could be very well underestimating it because I am not an engineer. I just find it hard that other companies can cram more in a phone and apple is tossing out big features left an right. 

18 minutes ago, shermantanker said:

you can double tap to zoom out and use black bars.

Yeah, that's so unnecessary hence why I dislike odd aspect ratios. Wish everyone just used 16:9 with no bezels, it would be way better content wise and you could have even larger display in same form factor. Something like 21:9 7" could be cool potentially I guess, it would be same width like Samsung Note 8 with 10% or so more in height. So at least some standard as far as aspect ratios would be on it. Still personally would rather have 16:9 with no bezels 5-6".

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Iphone X is interesting, but it has no audio jack. Da fuq. Stupid...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AX1600i owner. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_GMev0EwK37J3zZL98zIqF-OSBuHlFEHmrc_SPuYsjs/edit?usp=sharing My WIP Power Supply Guide.

9 minutes ago, Doobeedoo said:

Yeah, that's so unnecessary hence why I dislike odd aspect ratios. Wish everyone just used 16:9 with no bezels, it would be way better content wise and you could have even larger display in same form factor. Something like 21:9 7" could be cool potentially I guess, it would be same width like Samsung Note 8 with 10% or so more in height. So at least some standard as far as aspect ratios would be on it. Still personally would rather have 16:9 with no bezels 5-6".

This logic still makes no sense to me. The fact that all phones going bezel less are literally just filling in parts that were once bezels. If its a different aspect ratio well so....who the f cares. Also a taller screen is still more useful you are scrolling 99% of the time. If you have black bars on videos, well so, it would of just been bezels anyway.

44 minutes ago, Mr Bacon said:

Seriously. I said, "google if you don't believe me" and "it's inferior tech." Inferior, as in lightning provides more features than aux.

I am not going to do research for you. In fact, I have already done my research and did not come to the same conclusion as you.

45 minutes ago, Mr Bacon said:

Because requesting people to do their own research is hard, here's one article. https://www.theverge.com/2016/6/7/11874706/iphone-7-lightning-headphones-reasons

OK let's go through iVerge's list:

Hi-fi portability - Their argument that you need an external DAC is absurd. Just put a good DAC inside the phone and you're done.

More power - Fair point, although a decent amp would solve this too. I don't think "it's straight up bad for your hearing" is a very positive thing though.

Better sound - This is the same as argument 1 but worded differently. Again, put a good DAC in the phone and it will sound good. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a lot of placebo going on here. I doubt iVerge did a double-blind test for this, right?

Better EQ - Portable EQ is a benefit, but better EQ? No... There is nothing that makes an EQ better because it is over Lighting.

Digital potential - This is not a benefit. It's a statement that there might be benefits in the future.

The biggest problems with this entire article is that it is extremely sensitive to placebo effects and it's just looking at one phone with one pair of headphones. Simply putting the same DAC inside the phone completely negates two of out the 4 supposed benefits of Lighting.

But tell me, in your own words, why is the 3.5mm headphone jack bad?