Insecurity

Cooperjor

Hi everyone, I just finished planning out a build and I'd like to get you guy's opinion on it : https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/Hjt4zM

I'm insecure about a few things, like if its worth going for 3000 memory or if I'm doing overkill with my PSU. Also, I picked the Tomahawk Board for its onboard wifi, as I don't always have access to an ethernet cable. 

Thank you :D

The PSU isn't overkill, but it's not a great choice.  There are much higher quality ones you could get for that much money

Also, how much HDD storage do you need?  3 - 4 TB seems to be the sweetspot at the moment for $/GB

Also, check to see if the cost of that motherboard is more or less than the cost of another desirable board + a wifi card.  You might be able to do it that way for less.  And, one final thing after checking the images...

Spoiler

Capture.PNG.6bf4fc8dd01d7ef4de1d171b3b9e8863.PNG

omfg are you kidding me!? xD that's the stupidest looking IO area I've ever seen, what were they thinking!?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

7 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The PSU isn't overkill, but it's not a great choice.  There are much higher quality ones you could get for that much money

Also, how much HDD storage do you need?  3 - 4 TB seems to be the sweetspot at the moment for $/GB

Also, check to see if the cost of that motherboard is more or less than the cost of another desirable board + a wifi card.  You might be able to do it that way for less.  And, one final thing after checking the images...

Hide contents

omfg are you kidding me!? xD that's the stupidest looking IO area I've ever seen, what were they thinking!?

Can you recommend me a PSU and motherboard? Also I have a server at home with +-12TB of storage, so storage is not a big deal

Also, I kept wondering between Intel and AMD, I have no idea what the big difference is, so if going AMD is better, feel free to

13 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Reveal hidden contents

yo when did you become a mod

also regarding the spoiler, I think mobo designers are a bit out of touch...

I make bad life decisions.

Just now, Cooperjor said:

Can you recommend me a PSU and motherboard? Also I have a server at home with +-12TB of storage, so storage is not a big deal

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/9q4NnQ/evga-power-supply-220g20650y1 for PSU, it's same wattage and budget but better quality

As for storage, then do you even need 1 TB of HDD in this PC?  Sometimes I think we buy these things out of habit without actually knowing :P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

7 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/9q4NnQ/evga-power-supply-220g20650y1 for PSU, it's same wattage and budget but better quality

As for storage, then do you even need 1 TB of HDD in this PC?  Sometimes I think we buy these things out of habit without actually knowing :P 

Well I'll be moving around quite a bit and the server is only at one of my homes, so having 1TB should be enough to keep a few games I believe. As for the mobo, do you have any better suggestions?

2 minutes ago, Cooperjor said:

Well I'll be moving around quite a bit and the server is only at one of my homes, so having 1TB should be enough to keep a few games I believe. As for the mobo, do you have any better suggestions?

Do you have any specific features you want, or any brands you'd like to stick to or avoid?

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Do you have any specific features you want, or any brands you'd like to stick to or avoid?

As long as I can have wifi, it works, I don't even care about overclocking as I have no idea how to do it

6 minutes ago, Cooperjor said:

As long as I can have wifi, it works, I don't even care about overclocking as I have no idea how to do it

Well my main reason for suggesting a different motherboard was just that you might be able to save some cash getting a motherboard that doesn't have wifi, and then adding wifi with an add-in card.  At least I know that was the case when I built my rig but perhaps things have changed.