GPU Decision help!!!

IAMMADBOSS

I just built my first system, (yay!) but currently have no graphics card. I have a Intel Core i7 7700K, Msi Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon, a 120 gb ssd alongside a old samsung 64 gb ssd, 2tb hdd, and a corsair 750 watt psu. I cannot afford much, probably a 1050 ti or rx 560. I have a dell freesync panel, and have a few questions:

1. Does it matter if I have G-Sync?

2. Should I get a 1050 ti, rx 560, or wait for a rx 580? (can probably get one around Christmas)

I apologize for being sparse on details, but am in a bit of a rush while writing this.

return parts, and buy a more balanced system. 

you don't have gsync, freesync is only on AMD gpus at the moment, doesn't really matter though if you are NOT dipping below 60fps (which is something that shouldn't happen anyways)

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Wait you got a top tier i7 but used all the budget on it so you can't afford a gpu?
Are you planning on doing something that CPU intensive?

Man, just try and save some money or something, wouldn't want to pair something entry level with a cpu like that.
Or as above post said, return parts and replan the build.

I make bad life decisions.

AS far as G-sync goes. G-sync and Freesync are different technologies so they aren't compatible. As far as if it matters that's more of a personal preference if it would be good for you. I would like the Techquickie video explaining the purpose of them and see if you would need it.

As far as the type of GPU to get I find myself using Nvidia's features such as Shadowplay and Gamestream a lot so I would always go for them. But as for you it just would depend on the features you need.

Sorry for no Black & White answer but you probably need to do more research on both cards before making a decision 

Spoiler

i7-6700k OC'd 4.5Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1070 SC

Can't you return the items and get a more balanced system?

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

You've pretty much painted yourself into a corner unfortunately, if you want to make use of your freesync, you'll have to go with an rx 4/5 - 70/80. You've spent alot of money on the rest of your system and it's a bit unbalanced. I'd return your freesync monitor and get either a standard or gsync and then save for a 1070 to match the rest of your system or

move down to a decent 600w psu, i5 7600k, cheaper mid range mobo and spend the savings on a 1060 or whatever you can afford :/

Sorry if it feels that i'm being over critical of your build but, I'm just trying to get you more bang for your buck

First thing good thinking on the CPU it will serve you a long time against everything you can likely hope to throw at it, don't worry about people bashing you for futureproofing your rig even if it seems "unbalanced".

If you can wait then get the rx 580 so you can use your Freesync features however I would suggest that you consider saving up for a 1060 or 1070 at least while you won't be able to use the Freesync you can more then make up for it in raw power to insure your games play smoothly.

Above all else keep in mind that you can easily replace a video card so if you have to work your way up the performance chain over the next 5-7 years before you likely will need to consider a CPU/Motherboard (IE full system upgrade).

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

1 minute ago, Hybris5112 said:

I would suggest that you consider saving up for a 1060 or 1070 at least while you won't be able to use the Freesync you can more then make up for it in raw power to insure your games play smoothly.

Indeed, it would be better to wait and not blow money on a lower end card now, GPUs are too expensive at the moment, especially if you're on a budget to 'chop and change' as we say in aus.

having good core hardware is good, I agree.

6 minutes ago, Hybris5112 said:

First thing good thinking on the CPU it will serve you a long time against everything you can likely hope to throw at it, don't worry about people bashing you for futureproofing your rig even if it seems "unbalanced".

i7 7700K isn't futureproof and has zero upgrade path

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

You'd be better of waiting, I have purchased tons of parts in the past few weeks and honestly the price fluctuations are insane. Buying a gpu rn is ridonculou. If you want to take advantage of freesync, which to be honest I would advise simply because I personally don't see the point of having a freesync monitor and not using it, so get an AMD card, and just make sure its not overkill for your resolution or gaming/work prefrences. I wouldn't go totally to the high end unless you want a balls against the wall rig then by all means do so. But you'd be better off going for the sweetspot and upgrading for another sweetspot in future as value on high end cards just isn't there. But of course these are just suggestions you should take into consideration.

6 minutes ago, JDE said:

i7 7700K isn't futureproof and has zero upgrade path

Correct but it has enough raw muscle for both single and multi threaded tasks that there won't be any worth while upgrades for years to come unless you are the type that must have that extra 5-10% performance increase every generation. I say this as someone who did the exact same thing as OP did with a 3970x that even today still holds its own in every game I've thrown at it.

2 minutes ago, Hybris5112 said:

Correct but it has enough raw muscle for both single and multi threaded tasks that there won't be any worth while upgrades for years to come unless you are the type that must have that extra 5-10% performance increase every generation. I say this as someone who did the exact same thing as OP did with a 3970x that even today still holds its own in every game I've thrown at it.

Cores are going up quickly so it will be a lot more than 5-10%.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

Just now, JDE said:

Cores are going up quickly so it will be a lot more than 5-10%.

Yes but what of single threaded performance? The gains are not as extreme and won't be noticeable for sometime unless there is some sort quantum leap in processing and we see stock base speeds over 5Ghz become common.

7 minutes ago, Hybris5112 said:

3970x that even today still holds its own in every game I've thrown at it.

It does ok but, any of the modern 4 core i7s will outpace it pretty easily, the 6700k for example has around 25% stronger single core performance at stock speeds. OC a 7700k will outstrip it in multi core as well

Should look at grabbing yourself an 8700k when they've matured

Yes but what of single threaded performance? The gains are not as extreme and won't be noticeable for sometime unless there is some sort quantum leap in processing and we see stock base speeds over 5Ghz become common.

Everything right now is becoming a lot more multithreaded. That's the only reason the R5 1600 can achieve about the same performance as an i5 7600K.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

3 minutes ago, hammer3339 said:

It does ok but, any of the modern 4 core i7s will outpace it pretty easily, the 6700k for example has around 25% stronger single core performance at stock speeds. OC a 7700k will outstrip it in multi core as well

Should look at grabbing yourself an 8700k when they've matured

That's more or less the plan right now I expect 5-7 years between upgrades so I have plenty of time to save and see what comes out.

1 minute ago, JDE said:

Everything right now is becoming a lot more multithreaded. That's the only reason the R5 1600 can achieve about the same performance as an i5 7600K.

That's what people have been saying now for almost 15 years and progress has been slow especially in consumer software so I still don't put much weight in number of cores vs raw speed unless you have something that can use those cores like cryptography for example.

2 minutes ago, Hybris5112 said:

That's what people have been saying now for almost 15 years and progress has been slow especially in consumer software so I still don't put much weight in number of cores vs raw speed unless you have something that can use those cores like cryptography for example.

While that's what they have been saying, there's actually been quite a bit of progress.

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

That's the only reason the R5 1600 can achieve about the same performance as an i5 7600K.

In single threaded tasks the 7600k OC is still significantly better, i would like to see game engines make better use of multi core CPUs but, it will probably be some years yet before AMDs design principle of 'build more cores' really gains some traction. 

On 9/11/2017 at 7:40 PM, Hybris5112 said:

That's more or less the plan right now I expect 5-7 years between upgrades so I have plenty of time to save and see what comes out.

As much as I want to debate this, we have heard the argument of multi-threaded gaming for literally over a decade.

Outside of heavy RTS, not much really needs it.

Video cards have really taken ownership of most of the heavy lifting.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard