Dual CPU

Kenny477

Is it worth is two buy two 6 core 12 thread Xeon CPUs and use them on a dual CPU motherboard or is it better to buy a Ryzen 5 1600. The old Xeons are cheaper but the motherboard is more expensive. And if two Xeons are better what Xeon would you recommend me to buy?

Also, is two 6 core 12 thread CPUs equivalent to 12 core 24 thread???

Is it better to buy a Land Rover or a Ferrari? Really depends what it's being used for.... Neither will do very well if you want to go sailing. 

EDIT: Technically, it is equal (if we assume same IPC and frequency), but it never quite works out like that. 

2 minutes ago, Kenny477 said:

Is it worth is two buy two 6 core 12 thread Xeon CPUs and use them on a dual CPU motherboard or is it better to buy a Ryzen 5 1600. The old Xeons are cheaper but the motherboard is more expensive. And if two Xeons are better what Xeon would you recommend me to buy?

Also, is two 6 core 12 thread CPUs equivalent to 12 core 24 thread???

What do you plan to do with it?

If your gaming then do the 1600, if you have strong multithreaded workloads then the xeons might work better depending on what xeons they are

Omega-  I5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 1060 | Cougar Panzer | DDR4 16GB 3000MHz | MSI Z170 Gaming M5

EVGA 650 GQ | AOC 60Hz Freesync Panels x2 | AOC 144hz Freesync Panel x1

Epsilon- I7 2700k | Asus GTX 970 | Corsair 780t | DDR3 8GB 1600MHz | EVGA Z68 FTW Mobo

Corsair 750W G2 | Acer R240HY x2

Upsilon- i7 5500u | 6GB DDR3 | 720p 60Hz panel

2 minutes ago, tjcater said:

What do you plan to do with it?

Gaming, and also would Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate support 2 Physical CPUs???

2 minutes ago, 21rkosta said:

If your gaming then do the 1600, if you have strong multithreaded workloads then the xeons might work better depending on what xeons they are

Recommendations?

And also dual Xeons are cheaper.

@Kenny477 well i can only make a good recommendation if i know what exactly your using them for

Omega-  I5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 1060 | Cougar Panzer | DDR4 16GB 3000MHz | MSI Z170 Gaming M5

EVGA 650 GQ | AOC 60Hz Freesync Panels x2 | AOC 144hz Freesync Panel x1

Epsilon- I7 2700k | Asus GTX 970 | Corsair 780t | DDR3 8GB 1600MHz | EVGA Z68 FTW Mobo

Corsair 750W G2 | Acer R240HY x2

Upsilon- i7 5500u | 6GB DDR3 | 720p 60Hz panel

Just now, 21rkosta said:

@Kenny477 well i can only make a good recommendation if i know what exactly your using them for

Gaming, maybe photoshop and CAD. But mostly gaming :)

6 minutes ago, Kenny477 said:

Gaming, and also would Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate support 2 Physical CPUs???

As @tekgeek1205 and @21rkosta said, definetly Ryzen. You would get no benefit from more cores unless the application is well optimized for multi threading. And yes 7 Pro/Ultimate support two sockets.

Edited by Guest
Mention of socket and multi threading

7 minutes ago, Kenny477 said:

Just Gaming? Then the dual Xeons would be way worse because no game I know uses 24 threads :P

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR