Low GPU usage, graphic card not permforming well

Horkeey

hi there,

I've never been to this forum before so this is my first post :) and i dont know if this topic has already been created.

This is my setup:

144hz monitor 2560x1440 with gsync (gsync turned off)

16gb ram

i7 4820k 3700hz

samsung SSD 840 EVO 250gb

TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1tb 

MSI GeForce GTX 1080 TI Gaming X 11G

motherboard: Shuttle inc. FX79R

IDONTKNOWWHATPOWERSUPPLY but here is a photo xD

this is a 3-4 years old setup, never changed hardware except the graphic card (used to have a 780 ti)

So, problem is that my new graphic is performing weirdly in games for example overwatch's fps goes from 120fps to 160fps ( settings: https://gyazo.com/5056dedcb99baf9f9643a14a0c55c2behttps://gyazo.com/93074b3e430c5139e6e6c710c2630ed3  i always use fullscreen mode.) and fps wont increase or decrease if i modify render scale (i mean changing reder scale should either kill fps or boost it so hard), instead what changes is the gpu utilization.

on 100 % render scale mode gpu usage is usually 38-55 %. 

Nothing is overheating, gpu temperatures are below 70°C and cpu is doing just fine on 70-75°C

i've seen many videos (overwatch) where 1080tis on 1440p reach maximum fps and stays stable at that frame rate and it kinda bothers me to not get everything outta this 800$ hardware piece, i know its something bottlenecking but i have no clue of what it could be.

ill say that my pc has been quite slow lately on starting some programs and a problem i always had is that when i turn it off it restarts sometimes and i have to turn it off again but i dont know if that matters a lot xD. during OW matches i sometimes get this warning message HRVsT.png

this weird thing with gpu usage is the same on other games but i notice it less because i just dont need that much fps and i just prefer graphic quality over performance, though gpu usage is never 100%

i've read on OW forums that this problem is related to hpet and system clock timing or something, but yeah i just dont have the hpet option in my bios and changing it trough widow's cmd wont change a thing

Hope you can help me fix this. just ask if you need some info, hope i've written all you need and i've writting it correctly (italian guy)

Get a new PSU first. Seems risky.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

7 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Get a new PSU first. Seems risky.

agreed

once you have a new psu,

if you run a graphics benchmark, does that boost the gpu?

She/Her

9 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

agreed

once you have a new psu,

if you run a graphics benchmark, does that boost the gpu?

do you mean something like 3d mark ?

5 minutes ago, Horkeey said:

do you mean something like 3d mark ?

anything that boosts the gpu but not the cpu.

She/Her

Could be a couple of things.

-Bad PSU giving crap power to the GPU.

-Old drivers interfering with 1080Ti drivers (use DDU to uninstall all previous drivers before downloading the new ones)

Ye ole' train

disable game mode if you are on the windows 10 creators update, that doesnt seem to play well with some games

if you are not on that then try disabling HPET in your bios and if you havent tried uninstalling your graphics card driver with ddu and reinstalling the latest driver from nvidia do that first cause sometimes it could be that simple

also i doubt your power supply is the issue here(although i suggest changing it to something better since that looks like a generic unit), if all you did was swap video cards and you didnt have that issue before this is a software related issue, both video cards use the same amount of power so the load isnt changing and i was having the same issue as you with my 1060(wouldnt go above 120fps) and my issue was related to game mode being enabled and disabling that instantly brought my FPS up to 160 in Overwatch

On 11/9/2017 at 9:45 PM, luigi90210 said:

disable game mode if you are on the windows 10 creators update, that doesnt seem to play well with some games

if you are not on that then try disabling HPET in your bios and if you havent tried uninstalling your graphics card driver with ddu and reinstalling the latest driver from nvidia do that first cause sometimes it could be that simple

also i doubt your power supply is the issue here(although i suggest changing it to something better since that looks like a generic unit), if all you did was swap video cards and you didnt have that issue before this is a software related issue, both video cards use the same amount of power so the load isnt changing and i was having the same issue as you with my 1060(wouldnt go above 120fps) and my issue was related to game mode being enabled and disabling that instantly brought my FPS up to 160 in Overwatch

i dont have the hpet option in the bios and disabling hpet on windows by using the  cmd  wont change a thing,

i've tried to use ddu and install drivers again, i get 160 fps avarage now but i still get that annoying widows's warning message and i still have gpu usage within 40 and 50 %.

OW and other games are definitely playable, i just feel like i could get more... so you suggest me a new PSU ? (i have Windows 7 btw)

Tried upscaling your resolution? Have to do it with my RX 460 to not bottleneck my CPU so hard. Get terrible frames at anything below 1080p/high settings. Also Overwatch isn't THAT demanding of a game afaik (I don't own it so disregard).

Your PSU looks dodgy but shouldn't be too bad if it worked for your other GPU. Get a new one anyway.

Try Heaven Benchmark, Furmark or 3DMark and monitor usage with MSI Afterburner. What's it look like usage-wise there?

On 9/14/2017 at 9:59 AM, Horkeey said:

i dont have the hpet option in the bios and disabling hpet on windows by using the  cmd  wont change a thing,

i've tried to use ddu and install drivers again, i get 160 fps avarage now but i still get that annoying widows's warning message and i still have gpu usage within 40 and 50 %.

OW and other games are definitely playable, i just feel like i could get more... so you suggest me a new PSU ? (i have Windows 7 btw)

hhhmmm try looking for an hpet setting called something else, watchdog timer is another term i have seen hpet called, otherwise without disabling it in the bios, i dont see any other way to fix it

also a good power supply id recommend is a CX650m, its a great power supply for the price and its semi modular, just know i dont think its an issue with your power supply, i think you should upgrade it cause its a generic unit 

On 9/14/2017 at 10:29 AM, dragonhart6505 said:

Tried upscaling your resolution? Have to do it with my RX 460 to not bottleneck my CPU so hard. Get terrible frames at anything below 1080p/high settings. Also Overwatch isn't THAT demanding of a game afaik (I don't own it so disregard).

Your PSU looks dodgy but shouldn't be too bad if it worked for your other GPU. Get a new one anyway.

Try Heaven Benchmark, Furmark or 3DMark and monitor usage with MSI Afterburner. What's it look like usage-wise there?

upscaling the resolution isnt a solution, sure it gets GPU usage up but it make you drop FPS not gain it....

2 hours ago, luigi90210 said:

hhhmmm try looking for an hpet setting called something else, watchdog timer is another term i have seen hpet called, otherwise without disabling it in the bios, i dont see any other way to fix it

also a good power supply id recommend is a CX650m, its a great power supply for the price and its semi modular, just know i dont think its an issue with your power supply, i think you should upgrade it cause its a generic unit 

upscaling the resolution isnt a solution, sure it gets GPU usage up but it make you drop FPS not gain it....

Not in my experience. If I drop my resolution below 1080p I get much worse performance in games. Including at my monitors native resolution of 1600x900. Balancing CPU and GPU usage is the only thing that keeps my system running like it is

8 hours ago, dragonhart6505 said:

Not in my experience. If I drop my resolution below 1080p I get much worse performance in games. Including at my monitors native resolution of 1600x900. Balancing CPU and GPU usage is the only thing that keeps my system running like it is

Not a fix for this issue, rendering a higher resolution image and down scaling it will not increase frame rates. That's like saying running your game at 4k gives you more FPS than running your game at 1080p. 

Increasing the render scale does increase GPU usage but it doesn't increase frame rate, at best you can get equal frame rate with the lower resolution but that's very rare and that would mean you have very low GPU usage

His issue is software related, specifically with hpet. Only other suggestion I can make is OP upgrade to windows 10 and make sure game mode is disabled cause windows 10 doesn't force hpet to be used and this should bring his GPU usage back to normal. 

Another thing OP should check is individual thread usage and see if any of them are pegged at 100%, that could indicate a CPU bottleneck but I don't think that's the case here. 

1 hour ago, luigi90210 said:

Not a fix for this issue, rendering a higher resolution image and down scaling it will not increase frame rates. That's like saying running your game at 4k gives you more FPS than running your game at 1080p. 

I apologise for my ignorance. As it turns out I actually figured my own issue with a few titles and inconsistent fps/stuttering at any resolution/quality. Alot of my foreground processes and games keep getting turned down in priority and at 1600x900 my system was just getting bored I guess. I took a script that made Black Ops III run in High Priority and adapted it to a few titles (GTA V, Watch_Dogs, Alien Isolation) that are more CPU heavy tasks and, yes, at 1600x900 my frames finally jumped higher than they would at 1080p.

I had a whole thing going where I started taking screenshots and was gonna show you what-for. Nope. Turns out my system just got lazy at lower resolution. Disregard. I'll show myself out

19 minutes ago, dragonhart6505 said:

I apologise for my ignorance. As it turns out I actually figured my own issue with a few titles and inconsistent fps/stuttering at any resolution/quality. Alot of my foreground processes and games keep getting turned down in priority and at 1600x900 my system was just getting bored I guess. I took a script that made Black Ops III run in High Priority and adapted it to a few titles (GTA V, Watch_Dogs, Alien Isolation) that are more CPU heavy tasks and, yes, at 1600x900 my frames finally jumped higher than they would at 1080p.

I had a whole thing going where I started taking screenshots and was gonna show you what-for. Nope. Turns out my system just got lazy at lower resolution. Disregard. I'll show myself out

idk if you can share your script but that might also help OP out with his issue

glad you were able to figure everything out though with your system

17 minutes ago, luigi90210 said:

idk if you can share your script but that might also help OP out with his issue

glad you were able to figure everything out though with your system

remove the [brackets] and insert the information asked WITHOUT them. run it before you start your game (does not auto-execute). may need Administrator privileges. im unsure if thats necessary for all games but i do it anyway.

also not sure if this will ACTUALLY help OP as it doesnt really do anything for the GPU. Priorities in Task Manager are for dedicating RAM as far as i know, but it helped me one way or another. give it a go, why not

High Priority Template.bat

so, these are the settings in the bios:

https://gyazo.com/fed9228facd2282d19f8737a927cbdc1

https://gyazo.com/733152ac03585a7890c9b33494577cbd

ùhttps://gyazo.com/ea554cf9fea92bafff536f8c693d182a

i dont really know what i'm supposed to touch here xd.

on furmark i get 99% gpu utilization, 114 fps stable 

i checked cpu usage but nothing is botlenecking there