Pewdiepie uses racial slur on livestream of PUBG, Firewatch dev files DMCA

Just now, The Benjamins said:

Do you both think these  words are ok to use? nigger and nigga?

I feel their is a issue with people feeling ok that a variation of the word is ok to use by a group of people. (blacks using nigga)

if people want that word to be taboo, then all variations should not be used by anyone. but currently the use of nigga is in pop culture.

If these words are not ok why do the people these words supposedly insult use it the most?

It's ok for black people to say it but not for anyone else, that's actually pretty dumb, if you're white you can't say it? Lol that's actually racist...

But I understand that there are historical and cultural reasons they offend and historical and cultural reasons they are still used, but I think the best argument is the fact that the word in itself doesn't have power. People give it power by being offended by it. It doesn't they shouldn't be offended but they could not be offended, and the word would lose it's power.

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

Just now, hoboX10 said:

Wahh words wahh!! Actions make someone racist, not a pattern of sounds.

I disagree, verbal abuse is a thing, saying something is an "Action".

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

2 minutes ago, VicBar said:

If these words are not ok why do the people these words supposedly insult use it the most?

It's ok for black people to say it but not for anyone else, that's actually pretty dumb, if you're white you can't say it? Lol that's actually racist...

But I understand that there are historical and cultural reasons they offend and historical and cultural reasons they are still used, but I think the best argument is the fact that the word in itself doesn't have power. People give it power by being offended by it. It doesn't they shouldn't be offended but they could not be offended, and the word would lose it's power.

i would go as far as say that in most countries it doesn't have power at all,

1 minute ago, VicBar said:

I agree.

the issue is a sub culture uses it casually and most people don't seem to care. but when some people use it like they do, it becomes a big issue.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

It just sounds like they are targeting him. I get that he is a little childish and everything, but really? haven't  other streamers done stuff like this? Seems kind of dumb

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(

3 minutes ago, VicBar said:

People give it power by being offended by it. It doesn't they shouldn't be offended but they could not be offended, and the word would lose it's power.

100% agree with this

4 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

As idubbbz said:

Reveal hidden contents

"All of you people out there who hold these words at such high esteem, you are giving it the power that you so desperately want it to not have."

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

do you think it is ok for a black person to use nigga? just want to know.

if you feel so strongly about this I hope you think no one should be allowed to use that word and any variation.

The communities that use that word or a variation of it in a casual sense is desensitizing the effect of it, and this is the result of those actions.

I'm not that simplistic.

It's not just the mere use of a word that matters; it's the context and intent.  When a black person uses the n-word to refer to fellow black people, they're rarely if ever using it as an insult; it's more often indifferent or even a compliment.  However, when a white person is using it to trash-talk someone?  Damn straight, that's racist.

I don't think its use in black culture is what prompted this at all.  He consciously used it in its insulting way, not in a camaraderie sort of way.  Even his pronunciation made it clear this wasn't a friendly "hey, what's up my..." use of the term.  I wish you'd stop trying to equivocate, and somehow make racist language the fault of black people.

I like you avatar. And i believe i've seen this before with the 5$ do anything bit. They took nearly everything out of context and tried to paint him as a cruel person. I never followed into it too crazy, I knew hes just trying to be funny.

3 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I'm not that simplistic.

It's not just the mere use of a word that matters; it's the context and intent.  When a black person uses the n-word to refer to fellow black people, they're rarely if ever using it as an insult; it's more often indifferent or even a compliment.  However, when a white person is using it to trash-talk someone?  Damn straight, that's racist.

I don't think its use in black culture is what prompted this at all.  He consciously used it in its insulting way, not in a camaraderie sort of way.  Even his pronunciation made it clear this wasn't a friendly "hey, what's up my..." use of the term.  I wish you'd stop trying to equivocate, and somehow make racist language the fault of black people.

you are missing the physiological effect of hearing it all the time in a casual environment, it gives people a impression of the word having less severity. giving them the unconscious idea that it is a ok word to use if you hear other people use a word like that in a acceptable manner.

it is also people that use it hatefully in game chats don't seem to be punished enforcing the idea that it is ok to use.

the environment that we live in gives a sense of acceptable use of these words. you can't just get mad at him but do fix the underlining issue to why he used it.

a good example is the word gay, it used a lot in a non derogatory way ("wow that's gay") and its gotten to the point that that word is no longer a derogatory word. due to the use in our culture. 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Really, if a dev was genuinely offended they would be an adult and take it DMs. This is faux outrage signal boosting pretending to be offended for someone else. I hate how our society's first reaction is to overreact on social media.

The furthest this should have gone was denying future game keys with a calm generic PR message stating something along the lines of company would rather not be represented by X person and dropping the subject all together.

Maybe add the Jimquisition episode where Jim addresses the other side of the problem: YouTube celebrities using racial slurs as insult

(The other side compared to the DMCA takedown abuse).

It's a bit less on the topic of Tech News but it's relevant, so it's your choice OP

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Why is this a big deal? Some YouTubers makes success by being jerks, that's it... nothing new or interesting about it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

18 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

you are missing the physiological effect of hearing it all the time in a casual environment, it gives people a impression of the word having less severity. giving them the unconscious idea that it is a ok word to use if you hear other people use a word like that in a acceptable manner.

it is also people that use it hatefully in game chats don't seem to be punished enforcing the idea that it is ok to use.

the environment that we live in gives a sense of acceptable use of these words. you can't just get mad at him but do fix the underlining issue to why he used it.

a good example is the word gay, it used a lot in a non derogatory way ("wow that's gay") and its gotten to the point that that word is no longer a derogatory word. due to the use in our culture. 

So you'd agree that online gaming is a cancerous enough environment that people become comfortable casually throwing around racial slurs, because when a player gets frustrated or just wants to trash talk, they reach into the bucket for the strongest shit they can find.  They're simultaneously getting the impression that racial slurs are "less severe" while building the connection of "these are the words to use when I really want to insult somebody HARD".  Honestly I've heard some of the worst shit ever come out of 12 year olds on xbox live.

This isn't about "oh noes phate's just an oversensitive SJW that's getting triggered by everything".  The question is "What does it say about you and the online community you're a part of when THAT is what you reach for when you're frustrated with somebody?"

@spat55, you said that you catch yourself saying something is "rather jewish", but "not in an anti-semitic way".  Why?  What makes that your insulting go-to?  Why would calling someone/something/some action "jewish" suddenly be a bad thing?  And how is it not anti-semitic to use "jewish" as a means to describe something negatively?  If what you mean when you say it is "that was sneaky/cheaty/unsportsmanlike/dishonorable", how the hell is it not anti-semitic to have that meaning associated with calling something jewish?

When you attach negative connotations to an ethnic group, and call someone a member of that group (either using slurs, or just calling them "jewish" or "black") as an insult, yeah.  That's fucking racist, and you're an asshole for it.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

Why is this a big deal? Some YouTubers makes success by being jerks, that's it... nothing new or interesting about it.

Well there's two separate things to discuss here:

- A Youtuber who will go unnamed insulted someone with a racial slur

- A (random) developer went out on Twitter to say that he'd now DMCA takedown any content by said youtuber

The discussion here has mostly centered about whether the dev has a legal right to take down his content (especially Let's Plays which do not currently constitute fair use).

And of course whether or not racial slurs are a big deal is a matter of opinion and not fact (X is a big deal = I care about X)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

I wish filing false DMCA claims was illegal. He is clearly misusing it in order to further a personal agenda completely unrelated to actual copyright infringement.

This is clearly abusing DMCA. The fucking cunt (Sean) even have it on their website EXPLICITLY SAYING THAT YOU ARE ALLOWED TO STREAM AND MONETIZE THEIR GAME.

To top it all of with, Firewatch's website EXPLICITLY gives everyone permission to stream their game and to make money off it.

Sorry but if you give someone permission to do something, then you can't just change your mind and enforce your new opinion retroactively.

Imagine if AMD decided to take down all LTT videos which contain images of AMD GPUs because Linus said the Razer Blade had reliability issues. That is the level of absurdity and abuse of the legal system we are talking about here.

It's quite sickening to see some people actually defend this behavior.

Just now, LAwLz said:

I wish filing false DMCA claims was illegal. He is clearly misusing it in order to further a personal agenda completely unrelated to actual copyright infringement.

This is clearly abusing DMCA. The fucking cunt (Sean) even have it on their website EXPLICITLY SAYING THAT YOU ARE ALLOWED TO STREAM AND MONETIZE THEIR GAME.

To top it all of with, Firewatch's website EXPLICITLY gives everyone permission to stream their game and to make money off it.

Sorry but if you give someone permission to do something, then you can't just change your mind and enforce your new opinion retroactively.

Imagine if AMD decided to take down all LTT videos which contain images of AMD GPUs because Linus said the Razer Blade had reliability issues. That is the level of absurdity and abuse of the legal system we are talking about here.

It's quite sickening to see some people actually defend this behavior.

Where have people been spotted defending their actions? lol

I haven't seen a post in here at least.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Where have people been spotted defending their actions? lol

I haven't seen a post in here at least.

On the first page we have at least one person saying they think the actions of the developers are fair, and that this is not abusing the DMCA.

Shocked that a tech forum largely falls on the side of the slur-spewing manchild.

4 minutes ago, nutbunnies said:

Shocked that a tech forum largely falls on the side of the slur-spewing manchild.

Oh i don't know, maybe because it's not a big issue as your trying to portray it to be

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

while fair enough distance yourself from them when they say shit like that, but it sets a scary precedent, that a company can file DMCAs against someone if they say something they don't like or agree with.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

I'm would say i'm surprised by some of you on here,but i'm not. It's not cool to say racist slurs especially over a video game, stop defending this its not acceptable especially when his audience is full of little kids. I don't know about you,but i don't yell racist slurs when i get salty at a video game. 

Everyone is after you when you're on top

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

It's refreshing to read sensible comments here, on another big forum they call for him to jailed and stuff like that in a thread with over 120 pages..

WS: 13900K - 128GB - 6.5TB SSD - RTX 3090 24GB - 42" LG OLED C2  - W11 Pro
LAPTOP: Lenovo Gaming 3 - 8GB - 512GB SSD - GTX 1650

NAS 1: HP MicroServer Gen8 - 32TB - FreeNAS

NAS 2: 10400F - 44TB - FreeNAS

This is moral harassment.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel