Powering a raspberry pi 3.

Ruben360

Hey,

its recomended to use a 2.5A@5V charger to power a raspberry pi 3. Is it ok if I use my 4A@5V phone charger to power it? Or do the extra Amps damage it?

I need a quick answer.

Thanks!

I use a 2A charger for my r-pi 2B, which works good, I think a 2.5A is the best for a r-pi 3.

btw, how can your phone survive a 4A charger?! my phone already has struggles when I use the 2A charger for it

"Aeneas troianus est."

I'm allergic to social interaction in real life, don't talk to me in real life please.

don't forget to quote or tag (@marten.aap2.0) me when you reply!

you can use a 4A charger.

I have never heard of a 4A charger. Are you sure its not 0.4A?

If the charger is rated less than the rpi then the charger will be damaged/catch fire/pull a samsung Note.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

4 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

you can use a 4A charger.

I have never heard of a 4A charger. Are you sure its not 0.4A?

If the charger is rated less than the rpi then the charger will be damaged/catch fire/pull a samsung Note.

It's 4A it's from my OnePlus 3

15 minutes ago, marten.aap2.0 said:

I use a 2A charger for my r-pi 2B, which works good, I think a 2.5A is the best for a r-pi 3.

btw, how can your phone survive a 4A charger?! my phone already has struggles when I use the 2A charger for it

My phone supports dash charge which is pretty much the fastest chaging technology

more As wont hurt it but you dont need 2.5A for a p3 if you dont have a bunch of things hooked up to it - I think my could work even on 1 (or 1.5 dont remember) without my 7inch touch....

An electrical load only pulls as much current from the supply as it needs. The current rating of a supply is the maximum sustained current the supply can handle while functioning properly. So if you have a 2a load and a 90a supply, you're only going to pull 2a from your supply despite having the capacity for 90.

ASU

• 2 weeks later...

I use a 3 amp 5v charger so you should be fine. Those extra amps wont effect it but will actually help if you overclock it.

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(