how to convince dad to let you build a rig

Varun Kumar

guys. I want a gaming rig. my dad said yes. but the catch is that he wants me to buy a pre built system. in india youll be paying $2000 for a system with a core i3 ( laptop grade) and a gtx 1050. could you guys please tell me how to convince my dad to let me build one myself .

Cheaper, able to choose better quality parts, easier maintenance, able to put whatever aesthetics you like

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

you are wrong, $2000 can get you a gtx 1050 ti or gtx 1060 with an i7-7700hq even in India, and I just checked it out with a vpn. Just tell your dad of the advantages, lower prices for better specs, better aesthetics...

Not knowing what the prebuilt/custom built scene is like in India I couldn't give advice. If the prices are comparable or even better on the custom built (not always the case anymore in the EU really if you factor in warranties/Windows etc) then my argument to your dad would be the educational and experience value of building a pc yourself. Showing a good understanding of how the system if built means you are more likely to understand how to fix and upgrade it if it is needed. 

Prebuilt systems also often have proprietary/soldered items or limited slots for upgrade. This means that your system will likely be locked into the build that it currently is or perhaps to the generation of equipment that it is on. 

However you might also need to see your dads side. I don't know if you have experience or not and if you are limited in experience and your dad is concerned about funds then a prebuilt might be the better option financially as you will likely have a warranty. There would also not be any compatibility issues that might pop up in a custom system. Just a thought for both sides.  

1 hour ago, lkarej said:

If your dad is ANYTHING like mine, just tell him the advantages in regards to price/money.

my dad is freaked about the warrenty . he wont believe me even if I say that these companies actually offer warrenty for these parts

17 hours ago, Varun Kumar said:

my dad is freaked about the warrenty . he wont believe me even if I say that these companies actually offer warrenty for these parts

How can you freak out about warranty? Iirc my ram came with lifetime warranty and my psu 7 years. 

I make bad life decisions.

Tell him you'll make it a project between the both of you. It's his money, you're his son. Make it a time investment and learning/bonding experience for you two.

I'm not sure what the PC parts scene is like in India either, but I'm sure if you two can cooperate together on searching for mobos, CPU, GPU and RAM he'll find it much lighter on his wallet. And if you really want to invest all $2000 to make it worthwhile you can make it look more aesthetically pleasing to view as well.

As a father (in the states) I can tell you I see where he's coming from though. It's his money and he gets the final say on where it goes. If he'd rather a prebuilt for warranty or reliability over "but I wanted THAT GPU" then that's kinda just tough cookies. Not pleasant to hear, but that's life.

Good luck mate

Bought pre built systems for years and just didn't suspect you could get way more for your money!

These days it's a no brainer.......as people like to quote around here....it's better price per performance. By spades if it's anything like over here in Australia!

The likelihood that you would see any sort of part failure during the time the warranty is active is minimal so its just wasted money especially on a pre built after that push the price/performance angle and if need be find info on the warranties on the individual parts you want to use to prove to him that such things exist for DIY builders.

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."