Are SSHDs good or bad? (Performance wise)

Go to solution Solved by AdamBGames,
4 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

NOTE: This Thread compares a WD Black HDD against a SSHD, for the sake of pricing.

Ok, so some people have told me to go with an SSD + HDD setup, while others have told me to go with an SSD + SSHD setup.

To my knowledge both WD Blacks Hard Drives  and Seagate Fire Cuda SSHDs have a 7200RPM spin rate and both have 64MB of Cache and the FircCuda has another 8GB of NAND Flash as L2 Cache.

DO THEY PERFORM ANY DIFFERENT? (Price difference is around 5-10 USD)

They are ok, I use an sshd in my laptop and it trumps the hard drive that was in there previously. I would get the sshd over the hdd personally but it's benefits depends on how much you will be loading from the drive and how frequent you load those applications

NOTE: This Thread compares a WD Black HDD against a SSHD, for the sake of pricing.

Ok, so some people have told me to go with an SSD + HDD setup, while others have told me to go with an SSD + SSHD setup.

To my knowledge both WD Blacks Hard Drives  and Seagate Fire Cuda SSHDs have a 7200RPM spin rate and both have 64MB of Cache and the FircCuda has another 8GB of NAND Flash as L2 Cache.

They're about the same as a regular hard drive, except if you load up data that you frequently access. However the drive determines "frequently accessed" is up for grabs.

Note that you cannot test SSHD performance by, for example, opening an app, closing it, then re-opening it because Windows will leave the apps' data in RAM in case you do this sort of thing. Several runs of say Crystal Disk Mark may give you a better idea of how it works.

i have never used an SSHD, but the principle is that it will put frequently used files on that 8gb of NAND. so if you open a game that's 6gb a lot from that SSHD, it will load faster after a while. 

She/Her

They are ok, I use an sshd in my laptop and it trumps the hard drive that was in there previously. I would get the sshd over the hdd personally but it's benefits depends on how much you will be loading from the drive and how frequent you load those applications

Main PC | AMD R7 3700X | Noctua D14 | MSI RTX 2080 Super XS OC | Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | MSI B550A Pro | 1TB PNY XLR8 NVMe SSD | Kingston A400 960GB SSD | 2TB Western Digital Green HDD | Fractal Design Define R6TG |

Laptop (Asus TUF FX505DY) | AMD R5 3550H | RX560X | Crucial DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | Western Digital SN550 256GB SSD | PNY CS900 960GB SSD |

Phone | Samsung S10 Lite (128GB + 128GB SD card) |

Other Cool Stuff | Steam Link | Sontronics Podcast Pro | NZXT Hue+ | Corsair K70 MK 2 (MX Brown) | Logitech G402 | HiSense A7300 43 Inch 4K TV | Logitech C920 | Ender 3 Pro with Bulleye Fan duct and BLTouch |Sony PS4 | Nintendo Switch 

2 minutes ago, AdamBGames said:

Then Ill go SSD + SSHD, thanks

The SSHD caches frequently used files such as Windows start up files to speed up your system. The problem is the size of the cache. 8GB isn't going to get you far in a world of games with 50+GB each!

Given that you are basically getting a HDD with limited faster loading speeds for frequently used applications I personally would not recommend it.

Rather wait a bit longer and get an SSD for main applications and a HDD for bulk storage, the responsiveness improvement of an SSD should not be under estimated

1 minute ago, ScratchCat said:

The SSHD caches frequently used files such as Windows start up files to speed up your system. The problem is the size of the cache. 8GB isn't going to get you far in a world of games with 50+GB each!

Given that you are basically getting a HDD with limited faster loading speeds for frequently used applications I personally would not recommend it.

Rather wait a bit longer and get an SSD for main applications and a HDD for bulk storage, the responsiveness improvement of an SSD should not be under estimated

Please Read the Thread description. I was saying if I should go SSD + HDD or SSD + SSHD

Just now, DanielMDA said:

Please Read the Thread description. I was saying if I should go SSD + HDD or SSD + SSHD

Then SDD+HDD IMHO

They're bad compared to SSDs and can be slightly better than HDD if you have a certain use case. They're an attempt to bridge the gap between the performance of an SSD and the capacity of an HDD but it doesn't really work. What you end up with is an expensive HDD with hit and miss performance improvements from the NAND cache. Small writes are probably the place SSHDs benefit most over HDDs. 

The only time I would ever recommend an SSHD is in a situation where a large capacity is needed, there is no room for more than one drive and the budget isn't enough to fit a large SSD in. This basically means laptops and AIO computers, but even then I'd try to go for an SSD in the system and then an external drive for mass storage. Give the availability of high capacity external 2.5" HDDs that can even fit in a pocket, I can't think of too many situations where I'd actually end up saying an SSHD is the best option. 

2 minutes ago, DanielMDA said:

SSD + WD Blue/Barracuda and don't waste the money on a WD Black/SSHD. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Then Ill go SSD + SSHD, thanks

There's no point for that. Anything you need to load fast, like programs, put them on the SSD. For media, put it on a normal HDD. There's very little that really benefits from an SSHD over an HDD when you have a dedicated SSD in the system. The inability to specify what goes in the NAND cache is one of the biggest problems. 

When you have a dedicated SSD for at least the operating system, you've basically removed any real benefits from the SSHD so you'd be spending a fairly significant amount of money for 8GB of hit and miss cache. You'd be better off spending the extra money on a larger dedicated SSD and going for a regular HDD for mass storage. 

SSD and HDD separate every time, straight performance for the key items on SSD. Personal point but SSHD gives me heebygeebies after mine failed. Although I've also had an SSD fail on me as well so take that with a pinch of salt lol.

I'm rocking NVME M.2 only at the moment which is nice but not massively better than pure SSD in most use cases. 

1 minute ago, Zebedeeboing said:

SSD and HDD separate every time, straight performance for the key items on SSD. Personal point but SSHD gives me heebygeebies after mine failed. Although I've also had an SSD fail on me as well so take that with a pinch of salt lol.

I'm rocking NVME M.2 only at the moment which is nice but not massively better than pure SSD in most use cases. 

It would be an M.2 SSD + SSHD as mass storage

7 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

There's no point for that. Anything you need to load fast, like programs, put them on the SSD. For media, put it on a normal HDD. There's very little that really benefits from an SSHD over an HDD when you have a dedicated SSD in the system. The inability to specify what goes in the NAND cache is one of the biggest problems. 

When you have a dedicated SSD for at least the operating system, you've basically removed any real benefits from the SSHD so you'd be spending a fairly significant amount of money for 8GB of hit and miss cache. You'd be better off spending the extra money on a larger dedicated SSD and going for a regular HDD for mass storage. 

It would be an M.2 SSD as a main/boot dirve and an SSHD as a Mass storage Dirve (i.e. Games, i think the load times of the Steam Library would benefit a lot for the SSHD)

Edited by DanielMDA
spelling

I use my SSHD as a Steam drive! :D

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,5MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Zen-II-X6-3600+ (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9893pts | R23 score SC: 1248pts @4.2GHz

R23 score MC: 10151pts | R23 score SC: 1287pts @4.3GHz

R20 score MC: 3688cb | R20 score SC: 489cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2607MHz (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro

Just now, DanielMDA said:

It would be an M.2 SSD as a main/boot dirve and an SSHD as a Mass storage Dirve (i.e. Games, i think the load times of the Steal Library would benefit a lot for the SSHD)

They don't. Unless you only launch the same game over and over  (and if it's small enough to fit in the NAND cache), you won't see any improvement in loading times. SSHDs can be good for OS drives (compared to an HDD) but for mass storage and games, it makes basically no difference, you're basically just buying a really expensive HDD.