Best Solutions for stolen laptop

Commodore Sim

So last night my Mother texts me that her laptop was stolen.  It's running Windows 10 and has a decent password protection.  Besides the obvious change passwords and such, are there any other tools I should be using to protect data.

Find my device only has data from a couple days ago when it was still at her house.

But I also see an option for removing device, should I be doing this?

So far my research leads to articles of things to do in case your device is stolen, install this program and such.  But obviously that's not an option anymore.  Other places say to remove device but don't explain why this is the right choice.

Any help would be appreciated.

The first thing you want to do is lock down all the accounts that are logged in. If there are any credit cards or bank cards on the laptop, lock 'em down. Watch all statements carefully. As far as I know removing the device will just disconnect the Microsoft account.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

16 minutes ago, Commodore Sim said:

So last night my Mother texts me that her laptop was stolen.  It's running Windows 10 and has a decent password protection.  Besides the obvious change passwords and such, are there any other tools I should be using to protect data.

Find my device only has data from a couple days ago when it was still at her house.

But I also see an option for removing device, should I be doing this?

So far my research leads to articles of things to do in case your device is stolen, install this program and such.  But obviously that's not an option anymore.  Other places say to remove device but don't explain why this is the right choice.

Any help would be appreciated.

As fixitnow above me said, but also was bit locker enabled on the device? If so it's mostly safe, however if not, it won't take long to possibly even break the login password. 

Yours faithfully