Why the film and especially anime industry is experiencing piracy.

♠FlamieMeister♠
8 hours ago, ♠FlamieMeister♠ said:

but why should I pay when I can get it for free?

Why should you buy a game on Steam when you can get it for free? Why shoukd you buy a car when you can steal one? And the list goes on and on. 

You'll get to a point in life when you'll understand why you want to pay people who make stuff. It should be at the time when you start living on you own and start working a real job to finance your life. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I pirated Stardust Crusader's because I wanted to watch it on a roadtrip.
That's literally it. Would've been happy to pay for it.

IIRC most money in anime especially (movies less so) comes from selling blu ray and dvd's/merch after the run on tv stations (they still do that right?).

I make bad life decisions.

On 9/8/2017 at 5:35 PM, Himommies said:

Stores but I crunchyroll now.

Speaking of which does anyone want Crunchyroll guest passes.They just keep expiring I have accumulated 160 but only 2 are still valid.Anyone want them

If you still have any I would be interested. I buy Crunchyroll when I watch series, but I needed to save money after making a few major purchases.

On 9/8/2017 at 5:26 PM, ♠FlamieMeister♠ said:

I'm done with hearing all this crap that it's the pirates fault they're dying or their film isn't successful. It's the film and anime industries fault.  Why?

People pirate because they cant get a product. The anime and film industry make products hard to get. Therefore, piracy.

If only they'd see that.

As for the topic I know some people buy DVDs/Blu-Rays from Amazon for Anime. I choose to buy Anime via Crunchyroll or a movie directly because I also want to support the industry. Availability is only part of pirating, but for certain cases it is the main reason. For example a friend recommended I watch an anime called Is it a Zombie? I think, but it is almost impossible to find on a regular site like Crunchyroll. That puts people in really hard places even if they want to pay for it.

24 minutes ago, Inkz said:

If you still have any I would be interested. I buy Crunchyroll when I watch series, but I needed to save money after making a few major purchases.

I can give you one in 3 days

My life

I haven't really seen anybody mention offline access.

Sure, streaming is all well and good, but what if you want to take something with you on a trip, and you don't have some crazy unlimited data plan on your phone to hotspot? Maybe your grandparents don't believe in the internet, or something.

That'll require you to obtain a separate physical copy outside of your subscription service, which are usually quite pricey in comparison. Especially anime, which a lot of the time don't even have official dubs or even subs in some cases. That's all assuming you can even find what you're looking for, and get it delivered to your country. Carrying on that point, due to this reason, a lot of anime may be excluded from streaming services.

That's a common issue that comes up a lot with legitimately purchased media, it's very restrictive in the way that you're allowed to use it. There's physical DRM protection on the disk, so you can't make copies.. Well, it detours the average person at least. Then they STILL usually require an internet connection to obtain a media license. In a lot of cases, particularly with blu-ray, your device needs to be up to date to even read and play the disk properly. Some media is region locked... It's annoying. You go out and spend $40 on a physical product that you could easily find a superior product for free online. I've literally had to do this with some disks I've gone out and bought. Absolutely refused to work in every player I owned from the ps3 to the computer, so I pirated the media, and returned the legitimate product because it was useless to me.

Not even getting started on theaters... that's just robbery. Don't ask me if I need extra butter. You know nobody can afford that hsit.

1 hour ago, SageOfSpice said:

Not even getting started on theaters... that's just robbery. Don't ask me if I need extra butter. You know nobody can afford that hsit.

I actually went through some effort to get the stuff to make theater style popcorn at home and had success.  I really should make a thread about it at some point.

game of thrones was the #1 pirated show in NZ for two or three years because they were not showing it here. For years it has been expected that shows were broadcasted years late just because we have a small population and limited buying power. They have since learnt to put shows on at the same time as the US. Most of the excuses for piracy have been taken away except one; that is the amount of propaganda, and product placement, in modern tv and film. I wont pay for social engineering or advertising.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

22 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

that is the amount of propaganda, and product placement, in modern tv and film. I wont pay for social engineering or advertising.

But you'll consume propaganda and production placement just so long as it's free.  ...Gotcha. o.O

Also, I assure you, corporations don't care if you pay or don't pay to see their products in TV series, just so long as you are exposed to their products.

...Because you always got time for Tim Hortons.

10387157_10204272281030351_2619193219334295821_o.thumb.jpg.0332300405ffb4be0d498ca3bda5a6bb.jpg

1 hour ago, AshleyAshes said:

But you'll consume propaganda and production placement just so long as it's free.  ...Gotcha. o.O

i actually dont consume much. i dont pirate either. im just saying there are excuses for piracy which are no longer true, and the quality of tv, music, and film today does not deserve me as a customer or a pirating-consumer.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

On 9/11/2017 at 8:05 PM, AshleyAshes said:

I actually went through some effort to get the stuff to make theater style popcorn at home and had success.  I really should make a thread about it at some point.

It's just browned butter and a bit of coconut oil, isn't it?

On 9/11/2017 at 3:30 PM, Bouzoo said:

Why should you buy a game on Steam when you can get it for free? Why shoukd you buy a car when you can steal one? And the list goes on and on. 

You'll get to a point in life when you'll understand why you want to pay people who make stuff. It should be at the time when you start living on you own and start working a real job to finance your life. 

That is about right. I want to pay people for their work so that they will put out more good work. Would it be morally bankrupt if I pirated some content that isn't legitimately available, then threw some cash in an envelope and mailed it to the content owners/creators with a thank you card in the appropriate language?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I'm Brazilian and one of the only ways to get content like less famous animes, manga or animation films from Japan, only by pirate, we have a very generous fan base that maintains several sites with the great majority of animes with a medium quality to download, if you are interested in the original work and want to buy, only on the internet, and are VERY expensive, some not even translated

Because my bandwidth is metered it's suicide to stream anything so I pirate so I can budget the bandwidth used once and be done.

Not to mention it allows me to watch a show as my personal schedule allows without the pressure that a subscription brings with it.

If it was handled like a steam game where I buy once and can remove or add from my library as I see fit then I would be more inclined to move away from torrents.

Lastly I haven't found the selection of any of the streaming services be it anime or movies to be enough to warrant a consistant subscription in the first place.

I am not particularly proud of it but I accept that this is the best option for me and I can only hope in the future that a platform will come along that will allow me to go legal just like what steam did for my pirated games.

"The Codex Electronica does not support this overclock."

I will just comment about anime and Japan in general.

First of all, Japanese executive managers don't like changes and they will not generally approve investing into something new, in this case streaming. I am working for the broadcast industry and I can tell you that still lots of people think that everything that goes over IP will be pirated, intersected illegally etc. Even for internal usage between eg. studios on different locations. Not to say that not only Japanese broadcasting companies have that opinions, many western ones share it as well.

Now back to the story. Japanese people don't like changes. Netflix is pushing hard in Japan and almost all TVs have Netflix support and you can event buy Netflix subscription cards (popular for any subscription service in Japan) in convenience stores because for some reason paying by credit card is not convenient. I will also add that you can buy even Adobe subscription cards in Japan.

Also, there are places like Tsutaya which is Japanese equivalent of Blockbuster and guess what, it is still alive and well. Japanese usually go there and rent their anime, movies, etc. because Netflix, Crunchyroll etc. are not convenient.

And in the end, Japanese copyright laws. They don't care if you upload or seed eg. Holywood movie, but say hello to prison if you upload something from their national television, anime, manga (especially One Piece) and even the song from pachinko machine (not joking). That story about copyright law was just an intro for you to see that they will do everything to protect their content. In that light, in most of the cases they judge popularity of anime, manga etc. only based on the Japanese market and they will not even bother to sell rights to broadcast their stuff to foreign companies. That is their way of doing business. Just one last bit - Crunchyroll for Japanese market sucks compared to eg. US one as it contains only a fraction of the content (because of the rights and they want to sell DVDs with much higher profit margin and Japanese people will still rather buy DVD because it is more convenient than streaming service).

I hope that you could understand my sarcasm while using word convenient.

On 9/11/2017 at 10:05 PM, AshleyAshes said:

I am seriously interested in your creation. I love theatre-style popcorn (and to a lesser, but still large degree, Microwave popcorn).

I actually don't like liquid butter on my popcorn because it can make the popcorn soggy.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

I am seriously interested in your creation. I love theatre-style popcorn (and to a lesser, but still large degree, Microwave popcorn).

I actually don't like liquid butter on my popcorn because it can make the popcorn soggy.

Well, let's be clear here, I didn't CREATE anything, I just followed guides on the internet. :P

Really, it's just about using the same materials they use in a theater.  Flavacol, which is an ultra fine 'flakey' shaped salt that most places use.  Coconut oil is the oil of choice.  And there's a range of buttery toppings that most certianly do not contain butter that one can pick from since no theater would spurge money on selling you butter.

https://www.amazon.ca/Wabash-Valley-Farms-Whirley-Pop-Stovetop/dp/B00004SU35

Also that thing.

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Well, let's be clear here, I didn't CREATE anything, I just followed guides on the internet. :P

Really, it's just about using the same materials they use in a theater.  Flavacol, which is an ultra fine 'flakey' shaped salt that most places use.  Coconut oil is the oil of choice.  And there's a range of buttery toppings that most certianly do not contain butter that one can pick from since no theater would spurge money on selling you butter.

https://www.amazon.ca/Wabash-Valley-Farms-Whirley-Pop-Stovetop/dp/B00004SU35

Also that thing.

Haha well creation/guide, doesn't matter to me.

To be clear: I'm not opposed to the topping being made out of butter, or to have butter as an ingredient. I just happen to not enjoy pouring liquid butter over my popcorn because of the aforementioned sogginess that can sometimes occur.

So you bought one of those poppers? That's a stove-top unit, I assume, from looking at the item details?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 9/8/2017 at 4:31 PM, AresKrieger said:

Speaking of which where does someone even buy anime from? As for films there hasnt been one I wanted to watch for years

Rightstuf is a good place, Funimation's website.  Also of course, Amazon has anime, and I've been able to buy some series in Best Buy even.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

12 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

So you bought one of those poppers? That's a stove-top unit, I assume, from looking at the item details?

It's a stove top pot yeah but with the crank it turns an agitator in the pot to keep anything from sticking and burning at the bottom.  It's great at making popcorn for only a few people.  It can't do the volumes of those big 'home theater' style machines but it's a lot more practical too.

jack-sparrow-pirates-gif.gif

Whether you like Jim or not, I think that this video is good "food for thought".

Also, I know, he is talking about video games, but what he talks about apply's to film/anime pretty well too.

yeah. I've got Crunchyroll premium, I still can't watch everything I want to. 

Yours faithfully

People that pirate because it isn't available in the country they are in, I have no problem with.

But I despise that some pirate just because they don't want to pay anything.

I personally like to buy stuff on Blu-ray and rip it.

Well, the stuff I come over that I want to watch but I don't really want to get Blu-ray for, I just stream legally.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

As long as things like retarded pricing or regional blocking is still there, there will always be piracy

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K 8C/16T @ 5.2GHz All Cores -- CPU Cooler: EK AIO 360 D-RGB 

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-F Gaming -- RAM: G-Skill Trident Z 32GB (16x2) DDR4-3000 

SSD#1: Samsung PM981 256GB -- HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB -- GPU: ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 3080 10GB OC MSI GTX 1070 Duke

PSU: FSP Hydro G Pro 850W -- Case: Corsair 275R Airflow Black

Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27AQ 1440p 165Hz -- Keyboard: Ducky Shine 7 Cherry MX Brown -- Mouse: Logitech G304 K/DA Limited Edition

Phone: iPhone 12 Pro Max 256GB

Headphones: Sony WH-1000XM4 / Apple AirPods 2

Laptop: MacBook Air 2020 M1 8-core CPU / 7-core GPU | 8GB RAM | 256GB SSD

TV: LG B9 OLED TV | Sony HT-X9000F Soundbar

On 9/14/2017 at 12:58 PM, Zodiark1593 said:

Would it be morally bankrupt if I pirated some content that isn't legitimately available, then threw some cash in an envelope and mailed it to the content owners/creators with a thank you card in the appropriate language?

Depends on how much you throw in. $2 for Final Cut Pro X would be morally bankrupt. $2 to buy every Dragonball episode would be overpaying by 200%.

Pyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.