Why the film and especially anime industry is experiencing piracy.

♠FlamieMeister♠
2 hours ago, SeraphicWings said:

As long as things like retarded pricing or regional blocking is still there, there will always be piracy

There would be piracy even if those two things wasn't the case.

Some people just don't want to pay. And it's those people I dislike, that has no other reason than they don't want to pay at all.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

On 9/9/2017 at 3:26 AM, ♠FlamieMeister♠ said:

I'm done with hearing all this crap that it's the pirates fault they're dying or their film isn't successful. It's the film and anime industries fault.  Why?

People pirate because they cant get a product. The anime and film industry make products hard to get. Therefore, piracy.

If only they'd see that.

These are just excuses. People pirate windows os all the time. You dont hear bill gates coming up with excuses

21 minutes ago, Fahim Foysal said:

These are just excuses. People pirate windows os all the time. You dont hear bill gates coming up with excuses

People pirate Windows becuase it's expensive compared to every other readily available alternative. But Bill Gates, and Microsoft, also have assured sales from the enterprise and OEMs that makes up most of Windows' sales.

The two markets are not similar enough to use a scenario that applues to one, and try to apply it to the other.

Pyo.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Since my forum name is my real name, I obviously have never pirated anything. 

There's no need, some say, with streaming services, discs, and digital copies. What else are you going to spend money on? And don't you want to support the industry?

But here's the thing:

- I have Netflix streaming, which I can use to watch movies. Except if I'm on a plane, which happens a lot. Or outside of the US, which happens a bit. Or in the gym, because the WiFi there is crappy. (Netflix has experimented with downloading some content for offline viewing, but it's not widespread yet; as for out-of-US, they blame the movie industry licensing agreements.)

- I buy a BluRay disc and can watch the movie -- after ten minutes or so of non-skippable ads, annoying menu animations, and a FBI warning from the 1980s or so. And this happens about half the times I put that same disc in a player, not just the first time. It's particularly annoying when this is the 3rd time I've bought the same movie (DVD, Digital copy, 4k BluRay)...

- Oh, and I can buy that BluRay disc for say, a Homeland season, about 8 or 9 months after that season ended on premium cable, just before the new season starts. Because... reasons, I guess? Of course, I could use my DVR to record the show and download it to a hard drive -- oh, wait, the hardware DVR I paid for and assumed was mine got a software update a while back that had only two purposes: allow premium channels to block recording of certain programs and delete third-party patches that allow recordings to be offloaded to outside storage or computers.

- And that Netflix stream, BluRay disc, digital copy, or even DVD, that's for stuff that sells in the US market. Because if I want to watch something that was a hit outside the US, but not liked in the US, I'm seriously out of luck, as they say with a different "S."

Now, being a fairly competent EECS, I could rip the discs I buy, remove copy protection from digital files, patch the software on my DVR, and use torrent or other download sites. But I would never do that. Never, not once, not ever. No siree.

Because I really want to support this industry that treats its customers like drones to be squeezed of money instead of people who want to enjoy the content they buy in their own terms.

I am not paying for film and music simple as that. I have most of my mp3s and the rest comes from youtube downloader

23 hours ago, Teddy07 said:

I am not paying for film and music simple as that. I have most of my mp3s and the rest comes from youtube downloader

Why?

I mean, not ever paying for a medium that you obviously value enough to seek out and acquire?

I get that for younger people. They're young and stupid (no offense to the younger crowd) and don't know better yet. They don't appreciate paying for things because they haven't had to work hard for a pay cheque to make ends-meet before.

But I know you're not a kid or a teen, so I'm trying to understand your stance and reasoning.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

27 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

But I know you're not a kid or a teen, so I'm trying to understand your stance and reasoning.

What it comes down to : Why pay for something that I can get for free? I know it is morally wrong but I honestly don't care. We have a saying here in Germany which goes something like "every man for himself next"

Just now, Teddy07 said:

What it comes down to is: Why pay for something that I can get for free? I know it is morally wrong but I honestly don't care. We have a saying here in Germany which goes something like "every man for himself next"

I mean, at least you're honest about the reasons you do it.

Many on here pirate for the same reasons, but use some other thinly veiled excuse about access, etc.

But I would forward two good reasons to pay for something (even if you can get it for free):

1. Because you like the content, and want to show your appreciation for the hard work of those involved in making it, and

2. To promote a sustainable model (If everyone did what you did, the entire system would collapse).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)