Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tungstensniper

liquid cooling temps too high!

Posted · Original PosterOP

the temperatures of my processor are getting too high even though I have a 360 mm radiator thats about 1-2 inches thick! I have four fans in my case 3 blowing into the case through the radiator, and one exhausting out the back.(the fans that i have are not too good but the should still work!) when I put my hand inside the case I cannot feel the fans even though they are in the right direction. i know they are the right way because i can feel them the tiniest bit. I have a core i7 7700k that I use integrated graphics on. some games use more graphics power than others but it still works. my temps are around 50-60 degrees C when gaming and 25-35 degrees C when idle. I had it on a small overclock but it got too hot. this is a computer that I built recently so this is very confusing to me because this is my first pc that i built.(side note: my pump is fine it is pumping fine.) please, any suggestions?

Just now, Tungstensniper said:

the temperatures of my processor are getting too high even though I have a 360 mm radiator thats about 1-2 inches thick! I have four fans in my case 3 blowing into the case through the radiator, and one exhausting out the back.(the fans that i have are not too good but the should still work!) when I put my hand inside the case I cannot feel the fans even though they are in the right direction. i know they are the right way because i can feel them the tiniest bit. I have a core i7 7700k that I use integrated graphics on. some games use more graphics power than others but it still works. my temps are around 50-60 degrees C when gaming and 25-35 degrees C when idle. I had it on a small overclock but it got too hot. this is a computer that I built recently so this is very confusing to me because this is my first pc that i built.(side note: my pump is fine it is pumping fine.) please, any suggestions?

ugh, 50-60°C is fine for a non delidded chip, with no overclock that's basically normal. You won't feel much air through a rad, but I'd help to know the model, rad fans benefit from having high static pressure, it's possible the fans simply cannot push enough air through the thick rad, however thicc rads usually have low fins per inch numbers. 

Yours faithfully

To my understanding I've heard that cpu naturally runs hot. Watercooling won't drop your temps below zero or anything and in most cases it won't do too much more than air cooling for double the price. I'd say however that 50 to 60c is still really good temps for a cpu under full load. 

1 minute ago, LTFoReal said:

To my understanding I've heard that cpu naturally runs hot. Watercooling won't drop your temps below zero or anything and in most cases it won't do too much more than air cooling for double the price. I'd say however that 50 to 60c is still really good temps for a cpu under full load. 

its not under full load... tho when i run aida 64 it goes to low 70's

Just now, LTFoReal said:

That's not really true, my i7 7700K is at 5.3GHz right now, there is no air cooler on earth that could such a chip since under extended load the cores sometimes hit the low 90's even with a delid and liquid metal all round. 

but dude, my rad gets noticibly HOT from touching it  even though it is THICC

Yeah that's normal during use, but how hot? You mentioned bad fans, what brand and model are they?

Yours faithfully

6 minutes ago, Tungstensniper said:

I have a core i7 7700k

suddenly, i'm not surprised.

The TIM between the die and the IHS is TERRIBLE on the 7700k. to get lower temps, you MUST delid.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

That's not really true, my i7 7700K is at 5.3GHz right now, there is no air cooler on earth that could such a chip since under extended load the cores sometimes hit the low 90's even with a delid and liquid metal all round. 

Yeah that's normal during use, but how hot? You mentioned bad fans, what brand and model are they?

i got the fans with a case i bought ill put the links to the case and rad here:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811353122

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/4659502552169010486?lsf=seller:6136318,store:118816970369739030&prds=oid:12915856349663934947&q=thermaltake+radiator+360mm&hl=en&ei=mrmyWcDYCeamjwST2ZO4BA&lsft=gclid:CjwKCAjw_8jNBRB-EiwA96Yp1k_cb3KJmiZpTngAP7yyHf91jfv4C8YvdAO3TmuGGZmEKqGoKEVgNRoCUTsQAvD_BwE

2 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

suddenly, i'm not surprised.

The TIM between the die and the IHS is TERRIBLE on the 7700k. to get lower temps, you MUST delid.

tim is thermal paste im guessing?

Ok, those fans are NFG for a rad, you'll have to buy new ones, and that rad is... not one I'd recommend but I guess it does the job right. I would put new Static Pressure Optimised on my shopping list if I where you. 

Yours faithfully

Theramal

Interface

Material

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

tim is thermal paste im guessing?

TIM= Thermal Interface Material, which as you guessed is indeed thermal compound, what Intel uses under the IHS is pretty shit at actual thermal transfer, but doesn't get worse over time (so they say, but I'd argue that one)

Yours faithfully

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

Ok, those fans are NFG for a rad, you'll have to buy new ones, and that rad is... not one I'd recommend but I guess it does the job right. I would put new Static Pressure Optimised on my shopping list if I where you. 

well i mean im getting sp 120mm fans the corsair rgb ones for the rad

TIM= Thermal Interface Material, which as you guessed is indeed thermal compound, what Intel uses under the IHS is pretty shit at actual thermal transfer, but doesn't get worse over time (so they say, but I'd argue that one)

i use 12carrat ic diamond. is that good?

1 minute ago, Tungstensniper said:

The issue is not the thermal paste you use, it's the one that intel uses under the heat spreader. Also with the rad heating up, it could be your rad is getting over saturated with heat because the fans can't wick the heat off the fins.

Build

SUPER_PIXEL_COLLIDER

Mobo: Asus x99a II  ||||| Ram: 32 GB Crucial Balistix Sport (White) ||||| CPU: Intel I7 6800k @ 4.35GHz ||||| GPU: ASUS GTX 1080ti Poseidon Platinum  ||||| Mouse: Logitech G900 Chaos Spectrum ||||| Headset: Logitech G930 {Gave it away} ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU x2 ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-m50x Edition Green / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Crucial MX300 525GB M.2 SATA Ver.  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 1x360 1x240 Pump: Swifttech MCP355 Res: Alphacool Eisbecher 150mm ||||| Case: Phantek Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k With a Logitech MX Master

Just now, YubinTheBunny said:

The issue is not the thermal paste you use, it's the one that intel uses under the heat spreader.

ik im just asking if i were to delid and apply that would it be fine? or is there a more superior thermal paste?

IC Diamond is among the best on the market, but there is thermal paste under the metal thing on the CPU, which isn't so easy to remove. No matter how good the thermal compound you use, the stuff under the IHS will always be worse. 

597c016340700_IMG_19731.thumb.JPG.60b5d23a119c32663b8255d09c04faf6.JPG

Yours faithfully

ik im just asking if i were to delid and apply that would it be fine? or is there a more superior thermal paste?

Liquid metal all the way, normal TIM can pump out or dry and crack on direct die contact as the CPU die is much hotter and denser than on a GPU, so the paste takes a beating, unless you wanna reapply every 6 months, use Conductonaut or Hydronaut. (both from Thermal Grizzly)

Yours faithfully

IC Diamond is among the best on the market, but there is thermal paste under the metal thing on the CPU, which isn't so easy to remove. No matter how good the thermal compound you use, the stuff under the IHS will always be worse. 

597c016340700_IMG_19731.thumb.JPG.60b5d23a119c32663b8255d09c04faf6.JPG

i know that the intel shit is basicaly bottle necking my temps, but im asking weather the ic diamond would be suffitient.

i know that the intel shit is basicaly bottle necking my temps, but im asking weather the ic diamond would be suffitient.

Liquid metal all the way, normal TIM can pump out or dry and crack on direct die contact as the CPU die is much hotter and denser than on a GPU, so the paste takes a beating, unless you wanna reapply every 6 months, use Conductonaut or Hydronaut. (both from Thermal Grizzly)

Yes, it's more resistant to the issues with conventional TIM, but still not ideal. 

Yours faithfully

kk ill look into it. also is there like a waranty i can get to cover me if i fail?

kk ill look into it. also is there like a waranty i can get to cover me if i fail?

Nope, maybe insurance, usually that covers accidental damage, but other than that you can wave bye bye to your warranty. 

Yours faithfully

40 minutes ago, Tungstensniper said:

thanks everybody for helping!

What are you using for your pump, coolant, and waterblock.... because that is an aluminium rad....

Also it is good that your rad is getting hot. The hotter your rad gets the better it cools.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Galaxy S9+ - XPS 13 (9343 UHD+) - Samsung Note Tab 7.0 - Lenovo Y580

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS