new to overclocking. gimme the basics

theminnesotanman
Go to solution Solved by Lord Nicoll,
26 minutes ago, theminnesotanman said:

-snip-

Pascal is pretty simple, move the sliders until it isn't stable then back off a bit. 

this is what my card is currently at (its idling if it matters) i want to know much more i can get out of the card before i start seeing problems. I have never really had a problem running any games but if i could run them better thatd be nice. basically i want to know if there is really a need to oc and if so where do i begin on doing it and also how do i know how far i can get it (not looking to max the card just looking to get more performance). any help is appreciated. Thanks all. 

Capture.PNG

26 minutes ago, theminnesotanman said:

-snip-

Pascal is pretty simple, move the sliders until it isn't stable then back off a bit. 

Yours faithfully

Just now, Lord Nicoll said:

what are some good free benchmarks?

do i want the power target all the way up?

how much should i move the memory offset compared to the gpu clock?

Just now, theminnesotanman said:

what are some good free benchmarks?

do i want the power target all the way up?

how much should i move the memory offset compared to the gpu clock?

Valley, 3DMark has some free ones (mostly time spy and firestrike) heaven, furmark if you wanna make it pay.

Yes, max the power limit, I removed mine on my card lol

Usually most 1080ti's hit around +400MHz on memory and +100 or so on core

Yours faithfully

Valley, 3DMark has some free ones (mostly time spy and firestrike) heaven, furmark if you wanna make it pay.

okay. so heaven, fire strike and time spy are free and furmark is paid for?

1 minute ago, Lord Nicoll said:

also how long should i run tests to make sure its a 24/7 oc? should i run it for a day or so?

2 minutes ago, theminnesotanman said:

okay. so heaven, fire strike and time spy are free and furmark is paid for?

No, furmark is free but it's a SUPER powerful powervirus, it has been known to actually blow VRMs up and cause thermal throttling on shit cards. 

also how long should i run tests to make sure its a 24/7 oc? should i run it for a day or so?

I mean, I don't stress test, but I'm more of an extreme OCer, if it doesn't crash within a few minutes with me, chances are it won't at all, and this usually rings true until the sillicon gets degraded, (I usually use high clocks and high voltage, right now my i7 7700K is on a 24/7 OC at 1.5v lol usually it's on;y 1.44, but I got it stable on the lower 1.5 rather than 1.55 for 5GHz cache 5.3GHz core)

Yours faithfully

No, furmark is free but it's a SUPER powerful powervirus, it has been known to actually blow VRMs up and cause thermal throttling on shit cards. 

I mean, I don't stress test, but I'm more of an extreme OCer, if it doesn't crash within a few minutes with me, chances are it won't at all, and this usually rings true until the sillicon gets degraded, (I usually use high clocks and high voltage, right now my i7 7700K is on a 24/7 OC at 1.5v lol usually it's on;y 1.44, but I got it stable on the lower 1.5 rather than 1.55 for 5GHz cache 5.3GHz core)

okay. ill probably buy the 3d mark ones. What do you mean blow vrms? like actually destroys the card? ill probably start my oc this Saturday night and ill post back my results. Thanks so much!

okay. ill probably buy the 3d mark ones. What do you mean blow vrms? like actually destroys the card? ill probably start my oc this Saturday night and ill post back my results. Thanks so much!

Yes, older cards (or badly made ones, you're is fine) can easily be fouled by the power virus Furmark, but that was usually years past, most new cards are fine. Head over to HWBot.org to pit your machine against others and see how she holds, go crack some skulls then get rekt by LN2 and Kingpin haha. 

Yours faithfully

Depends on which card you have.

I personally have the Strix OC GTX 1080 Ti, asides touching voltage curves being the advanced bit;

I don't really have much headroom to play with as I'm already nearing the 2000MHz base GPU clock without much tinkering [OC Mode + GPU Boost 3], once I pass 2050MHz i tend to crash often so I'm happy with the 2000MHz boost clock.

I'd suggest for basics go with small steps until you reach an "unstable" point, then back off a bit.

If memory serves well, Power Limit is 120% always to allow more headroom. The rest are all trial and error.

I personally use ROG FurMark to stress test the GPUs personally if you want something decent to try out.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers