Drone vs DSLR

iPC

2 hours ago, iPC said:

What do you think of GH4 vs a6300? Also, what lenses and other gear would you recommend. I would prefer to keep the entire kit under 1000$, and I'm fine with used gear.

Don't use SLOG with the A6300/6500 cameras.  The codec and bitrate implementation is very weak in those cameras, and since the camera captures only 8-bit 4:2:0 you won't have that much latitude for color grading compared to a camera that records at least 10-bit 4:2:2.  I've done tests with my A6500 and it doesn't hold up.

There are pros and cons to both the GH5/4 vs A6500/6300.  You will find various detailed comparisons online.  To point out a few key things:

• sensor size, Panasonic uses MFT sensors which are smaller and has a 2x crop factor.  Meaning if you want wide angle shots you need an ultra ultra wide lens.
  • battery life, Sony A6500/6300 have short battery life that runs out quickly when filming
  • both Panasonic and Sony cameras have similar rolling shutter issues
  • both camera types reach their full potential only with external accessories (i.e. mics, audio preamps/recorders, field monitors, rigs, and probably a good video recorder like an Atomos Shogun or Ninja Assassin), but even with this their full potential fails in comparison to a proper mid/high end video camera

However since you are interested in filming nature videos, you don't have to worry that much about rigging either types of cameras up too neatly (if my assumption about the kind of videos you want to film are correct, we will see).  You can use the built-in mics to capture a scratch audio and use a better external audio recorder and mics to capture higher quality sound.  You can power the Sony cameras using an external USB power bank (not sure if the Panasonic cameras can be powered like this).  But if you do want to shoulder mount the cameras or do a run&gun setup, you need a good rig with these cameras to manage all the external accessories.

Now, when you say you want to film nature stuff do you have any examples of the kind of stuff you want to film?  Perhaps videos that inspire you on Youtube.  Are you going to film stuff like the Planet Earth documentaries by David Attenborough?

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

3 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Don't use SLOG with the A6300/6500 cameras.  The codec and bitrate implementation is very weak in those cameras, and since the camera captures only 8-bit 4:2:0 you won't have that much latitude for color grading compared to a camera that records at least 10-bit 4:2:2.  I've done tests with my A6500 and it doesn't hold up.

There are pros and cons to both the GH5/4 vs A6500/6300.  You will find various detailed comparisons online.  To point out a few key things:

• sensor size, Panasonic uses MFT sensors which are smaller and has a 2x crop factor.  Meaning if you want wide angle shots you need an ultra ultra wide lens.
  • battery life, Sony A6500/6300 have short battery life that runs out quickly when filming
  • both Panasonic and Sony cameras have similar rolling shutter issues
  • both camera types reach their full potential only with external accessories (i.e. mics, audio preamps/recorders, field monitors, rigs, and probably a good video recorder like an Atomos Shogun or Ninja Assassin), but even with this their full potential fails in comparison to a proper mid/high end video camera

However since you are interested in filming nature videos, you don't have to worry that much about rigging either types of cameras up too neatly (if my assumption about the kind of videos you want to film are correct, we will see).  You can use the built-in mics to capture a scratch audio and use a better external audio recorder and mics to capture higher quality sound.  You can power the Sony cameras using an external USB power bank (not sure if the Panasonic cameras can be powered like this).  But if you do want to shoulder mount the cameras or do a run&gun setup, you need a good rig with these cameras to manage all the external accessories.

Now, when you say you want to film nature stuff do you have any examples of the kind of stuff you want to film?  Perhaps videos that inspire you on Youtube.  Are you going to film stuff like the Planet Earth documentaries by David Attenborough?

Do you know of a Canon 1dx alternative? I basically want an all around setup that can do video as well as photos well for around 1000.

4 hours ago, iPC said:

Do you know of a Canon 1dx alternative? I basically want an all around setup that can do video as well as photos well for around 1000.

Is this a joke?   You want a $1000 alternative to a $6000+ camera?

Get an entry level DSLR which will cost you around $500 since you will need the remainder of your budget on accessories.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

Get a Canon that fits your budeget with all the accessories you need. Your $1000 budget does not fit a Sony system as you will have to spend a lot more. Like, thats what a body only A6300 goes for. Then you need expensive SDXC cards for around $50 each. You would need at least two of those. Extra batteries = $50 for every new battery. A good video lens like the 18-105G = $400-500. So if you want a proper Sony video kit you will have to spend quite a bit more than $1000. 

You could go the route with a Panasonic G7 but that one would perform very well in video but suffer in photos compared to say a Canon 750D 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

On 2017-09-08 at 4:12 PM, Iamfreddie said:

Do NOT get a DSLR. Don't get a Canon or Nikon if you want to make videos. Canon and Nikon is lacking 1080@60 in their lower end models. I would recommend the Sony a6000 if you don't need 4k or a6300/a6500 if you do. Pair that with a 18-50mm kit lens and a wide angle lens and you're set. Also, you get s-log with the Sony which is so much better for colour grading. But a second hand body too but look for ones that's well maintained, so much cheaper and you won't loose a lot of money if you decide to upgrade to full frame. This is from a Canon 5d Mark III user.

From a person that owns the A6000 I would not get it for video. It does not have a mic or headphone jack for example which makes it less suitable. The video quality is acceptable but nothing amazing also. 

And for his $1000 budget he has to go with a Canon or Nikon DSLR. (I'd reccomend Canon) You don't find Sony A6300's used for acceptable prices if you even find them at all. Less so with the a6500. However you find Canon dslrs with dual pixel af used in good condition all the time. These will produce good enough video and take pretty damn good photos if you can use them. Seems like the best fit for OP according to me. 

Honestly at that budget there's no perfect camera. Have a look at second hand 800D, 77D 80D or 7D2 maybe. And I think the a6500 does have a mic input but with a 1k budget is gonna be a lot of compromises.

13 hours ago, Iamfreddie said:

Honestly at that budget there's no perfect camera. Have a look at second hand 800D, 77D 80D or 7D2 maybe. And I think the a6500 does have a mic input but with a 1k budget is gonna be a lot of compromises.

The a6500 is way more than the budget alone. The a6000 did need to use the hotshoe (as far as I remember) interface with some sony mics, I assume they fixed that afterwards.

There's no perfect camera for any budget, for 2 different people. Had such a thing existed most camera manufacturers would be out of business.

OP stop looking for something that does everything at your budget, 4k, dpaf, raw output etc. cost way more. most people can't do everything at 10 times that. 

A used canon 700d with a couple of used 3rd party lenses and relevant accesories is the way to go. Just look for a system you can grow into. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

11 minutes ago, cc143 said:

The a6500 is way more than the budget alone. The a6000 did need to use the hotshoe (as far as I remember) interface with some sony mics, I assume they fixed that afterwards.

There's no perfect camera for any budget, for 2 different people. Had such a thing existed most camera manufacturers would be out of business.

OP stop looking for something that does everything at your budget, 4k, dpaf, raw output etc. cost way more. most people can't do everything at 10 times that. 

A used canon 700d with a couple of used 3rd party lenses and relevant accesories is the way to go. Just look for a system you can grow into. 

If I could spend a little more, what do you think of the fujifilm t20? And if you think that's a good option, what lense?

19 minutes ago, iPC said:

If I could spend a little more, what do you think of the fujifilm t20? And if you think that's a good option, what lense?

I love my xt20 and fuji has some amazing glass, but I'm not sure the video is satisfactory. There is a limit to 10-15 miutes if I'm not mistaken when shooting 4k, and the battery would probably die pretty fast too. The x-t2 is great for video, but I understand the af isn't that great like in Canon or even sony and because most glass isn electronically assisted in mf its harder to pull smooth focus.

Also, glass is quite a bit cheaper vs. Canon L glass or Sony G, and of great quality, but you wont find used options for cheaper like for canon and there is no cheaper option most of the times. My favorite lenses on fuji are the 23mm f/2 and the 16mm f/1.4 (which I just got) and I love both, although the 16mm is definitely of higher optical quality, its just not as versatile for the stuff I shoot. 

But for nature video and photo shooting the 16mm is probably the best lens option. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

On 9/11/2017 at 6:52 AM, cc143 said:

I love my xt20 and fuji has some amazing glass, but I'm not sure the video is satisfactory. There is a limit to 10-15 miutes if I'm not mistaken when shooting 4k, and the battery would probably die pretty fast too. The x-t2 is great for video, but I understand the af isn't that great like in Canon or even sony and because most glass isn electronically assisted in mf its harder to pull smooth focus.

Also, glass is quite a bit cheaper vs. Canon L glass or Sony G, and of great quality, but you wont find used options for cheaper like for canon and there is no cheaper option most of the times. My favorite lenses on fuji are the 23mm f/2 and the 16mm f/1.4 (which I just got) and I love both, although the 16mm is definitely of higher optical quality, its just not as versatile for the stuff I shoot. 

But for nature video and photo shooting the 16mm is probably the best lens option. 

What do you think of d7100 vs d5600?

2 hours ago, iPC said:

What do you think of d7100 vs d5600?

I'd personally chose the D7100 (or rather the d7200 if you can find one for a good price used as it has some slight improvements. Nothing super major though). Sure the d5600 has some new cool features but the ones in the D7100 is of more use imo. The in body AF motor is good for getting used and older lenses. You got a better viewfinder. A top LCD, a much tougher body that can take more abuse. Dual SD slots you can setup in several differnet ways like one for video and one for images. Or just mirror them for redundancy. You also get more ports like an headphone port for example that can be useful when shooting video. Better low light AF and more AF points. 

21 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

I'd personally chose the D7100 (or rather the d7200 if you can find one for a good price used as it has some slight improvements. Nothing super major though). Sure the d5600 has some new cool features but the ones in the D7100 is of more use imo. The in body AF motor is good for getting used and older lenses. You got a better viewfinder. A top LCD, a much tougher body that can take more abuse. Dual SD slots you can setup in several differnet ways like one for video and one for images. Or just mirror them for redundancy. You also get more ports like an headphone port for example that can be useful when shooting video. Better low light AF and more AF points. 

I agree those are very important points, the AF motor and 2 sd slots in particular (I'm pretty thankful we don't have the same thing on my camp), however, the d5600 is more camera than most people can or need to handle. It also has the advantage of having things like a touch screen on wifi, which are very useful (to the best of my knowledge the d7200 lacks in that regard). Also, the top lcd isn't really necessary unless you are very used to using one, and dslrs in general are pretty robust, sure the d7200 is better built, but the d5600 is enough for most usecases. 

Also, if video is a concern the d5600 is much better, even though I would personally get the 800d or the 750d if I couldn;t afford the former. 

1 hour ago, cc143 said:

I agree those are very important points, the AF motor and 2 sd slots in particular (I'm pretty thankful we don't have the same thing on my camp), however, the d5600 is more camera than most people can or need to handle. It also has the advantage of having things like a touch screen on wifi, which are very useful (to the best of my knowledge the d7200 lacks in that regard). Also, the top lcd isn't really necessary unless you are very used to using one, and dslrs in general are pretty robust, sure the d7200 is better built, but the d5600 is enough for most usecases. 

Also, if video is a concern the d5600 is much better, even though I would personally get the 800d or the 750d if I couldn;t afford the former. 

The D7200 brings wifi and provides better video features than D7100, thats why I'd reccomend looking at that if possible. And I agree the D5600 probably got better video but personally I would not value that higher than the "high end" features that the D7xxx series have. If video is important I would not even go for Nikon but Canon instead, like you said.