Drone vs DSLR

iPC

Hi, I want to start doing some nature videos, photography, and filmmaking in general. One thing I'm debating is whether I should get a DSLR or a drone, and if so, what model? My thinking is that a drone would be able to capture angles I can't with an iPhone or DSLR, but a DSLR would be more versatile and widely used. Please help!

I would say get a decent DMR and wait on the drone. For filming look at something like the t5i or t6i and then grab a nice 55-250 or 750-300mm lenses to get some nice long range pictures. So looking around some a t5i with a 18-55mm and 55-250mm lens runs about 750$. going up to the t6i with the same 900$. a GH4 body or body with shotgun mic 1000$. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

You'd be able to get much better photos with a decent DSLR. Also not sure if all drones support RAW image capture, which is way better for editing.

- Thread Moved to Photography and Videography -

Better exposure to those in the forum that can assist you with your topic.

\\\(۶ ᐛ )۶////

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

6 hours ago, CyberneticTitan said:

You'd be able to get much better photos with a decent DSLR. Also not sure if all drones support RAW image capture, which is way better for editing.

I'm looking at mavic pro or phantom 4 and am pretty sure they have raw. Also there's the argument that you can take high quality videos and photos on your iPhone now if you buy a couple lenses. What do you think?

9 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

I would say get a decent DMR and wait on the drone. For filming look at something like the t5i or t6i and then grab a nice 55-250 or 750-300mm lenses to get some nice long range pictures. So looking around some a t5i with a 18-55mm and 55-250mm lens runs about 750$. going up to the t6i with the same 900$. a GH4 body or body with shotgun mic 1000$. 

I'm looking at mavic pro or phantom 4 and am pretty sure they have raw. Also there's the argument that you can take high quality videos and photos on your iPhone now if you buy a couple lenses. What do you think?

45 minutes ago, iPC said:

first please leave text auto. Lenses on your Iphone aren't going to get you nice zoom or good macro, fisheye lenses. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

41 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

first please leave text auto. Lenses on your Iphone aren't going to get you nice zoom or good macro, fisheye lenses. 

Text auto?

Don't listen to anyone above. Basically uselss information. The question you need to ask yourself is what will you shoot and what do you need to capture that. Do you want to take high quality images and video mainly from the perspectives you can get to yourself, like in the forest, city or inside then a DSLR may be a better choice. 

If you want to capture large landscapes from above maybe a drone will be better. But all depends on what you want to do. Decide that and then it is easier to help you chose something. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

1 hour ago, xQubeZx said:

Don't listen to anyone above. Basically uselss information. The question you need to ask yourself is what will you shoot and what do you need to capture that. Do you want to take high quality images and video mainly from the perspectives you can get to yourself, like in the forest, city or inside then a DSLR may be a better choice. 

If you want to capture large landscapes from above maybe a drone will be better. But all depends on what you want to do. Decide that and then it is easier to help you chose something. 

I want to do both, but can't afford both of them. My only thinking is that I could get shots with an iPhone or even a drone, if handheld. DSLR would be nice, as would a drone. I just don't know which one I should get.

2 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

I also want to do a lot of b roll type things so a nice video quality and framerate would be nice.

19 hours ago, iPC said:

I'd still stick with DSLRs for: handling, sensor area, sensor quality, mounting, and battery.

On 9/7/2017 at 0:07 AM, GDRRiley said:

What do you think of the d5600?

Do NOT get a DSLR. Don't get a Canon or Nikon if you want to make videos. Canon and Nikon is lacking 1080@60 in their lower end models. I would recommend the Sony a6000 if you don't need 4k or a6300/a6500 if you do. Pair that with a 18-50mm kit lens and a wide angle lens and you're set. Also, you get s-log with the Sony which is so much better for colour grading. But a second hand body too but look for ones that's well maintained, so much cheaper and you won't loose a lot of money if you decide to upgrade to full frame. This is from a Canon 5d Mark III user.

8 minutes ago, Iamfreddie said:

Do NOT get a DSLR. Don't get a Canon or Nikon if you want to make videos. Canon and Nikon is lacking 1080@60 in their lower end models.

You can you just have to upscale from 720p. You could upscale 720p 60 to 1440p and it would look fine because of how hard youtube compresses. Thats also why a recomened the gh4 as it does 1080p 60 or 4k 30. 

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

You can you just have to upscale from 720p. You could upscale 720p 60 to 1440p and it would look fine because of how hard youtube compresses. Thats also why a recomened the gh4 as it does 1080p 60 or 4k 30. 

Yeah the gh4/5 is really good too. Also scaling 720 to 1440 would look pretty bad even on YouTube.

Just now, Iamfreddie said:

Yeah the gh4/5 is really good too. Also scaling 720 to 1440 would look pretty bad even on YouTube.

no I have done it before and you can't tell. remember youtube makes a "4k" video look worse than 1080p 25mb. You got lots a quality that you can upscale. 

3 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

no I have done it before and you can't tell. remember youtube makes a "4k" video look worse than 1080p 25mb. You got lots a quality that you can upscale. 

Really? I'll give it a go tomorrow and report back with my findings. Not that I don't believe you I just wanna do my own research.

On 9/7/2017 at 3:47 AM, iPC said:

Hi, I want to start doing some nature videos, photography, and filmmaking in general. One thing I'm debating is whether I should get a DSLR or a drone, and if so, what model? My thinking is that a drone would be able to capture angles I can't with an iPhone or DSLR, but a DSLR would be more versatile and widely used. Please help!

1. Unless you spend $2000+, none of the DJI Phantom or Mavic drones film in RAW.  They may take photos in RAW using the DNG format, but not video.

2. If you have the budget, get something like a $500-800 DSLR with a kit lens and a drone like the Mavic.  You can probably find a second hand decent Canon or Nikon DSLR for less.

But the question is: what kind of angles do you want to film?  If I'm on a project, I usually pack about 4-5 different cameras, including my favorite Sony FS7, the compact DJI Mavic with a set of ND filters, a DSLR and a couple of action cameras (e.g. GoPros or Sony ActionCams).  Because depending on location and the type of shots I need I will use a camera I feel appropriate.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

1080p upscaled to 4k for youtube actually look really good, compared to just uploading it as 1080

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

2 hours ago, Mihle said:

1080p upscaled to 4k for youtube actually look really good, compared to just uploading it as 1080

Depends on the camera, if you use some cameras with shitty sensors or just bad quality image capability at FHD, scaling up to 4K and uploading to YT won't help that much.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

39 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Depends on the camera, if you use some cameras with shitty sensors or just bad quality image capability at FHD, scaling up to 4K and uploading to YT won't help that much.

ofc.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

23 hours ago, Iamfreddie said:

I'd like to keep the whole package under 1000$

On 9/8/2017 at 10:12 AM, Iamfreddie said:

Do NOT get a DSLR. Don't get a Canon or Nikon if you want to make videos. Canon and Nikon is lacking 1080@60 in their lower end models. I would recommend the Sony a6000 if you don't need 4k or a6300/a6500 if you do. Pair that with a 18-50mm kit lens and a wide angle lens and you're set. Also, you get s-log with the Sony which is so much better for colour grading. But a second hand body too but look for ones that's well maintained, so much cheaper and you won't loose a lot of money if you decide to upgrade to full frame. This is from a Canon 5d Mark III user.

What do you think of GH4 vs a6300? Also, what lenses and other gear would you recommend. I would prefer to keep the entire kit under 1000$, and I'm fine with used gear.